Romney's VP Announcement!!

Feel free to discuss appropriate non-BYU/Sports related topics here. We ask you to respect other users, the Church, avoid soapbox postings, and keep it clean.
0
0

Romney's VP Announcement!!

Postby Ddawg » Mon Jul 16, 2012 5:49 pm

Too funny.

I read yesterday, the NY Times was reporting that Romney has made his VP pick, and will probably reveal it soon.

Today - No way. The WSJ is quoting Senior Romney campaign advisor Eric Fehrnstrom: “No decision’s been made on V.P.,” he said.

http://blogs.wsj.com/washwire/2012/07/1 ... -just-yet/

No doubt, the VP vetting process is down to the short list. Personally, I think there are 2 favorites - Marco Rubio and Condoleeza Rice.
Last edited by Ddawg on Fri Aug 10, 2012 10:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
User avatar
Ddawg
Pro
 
Posts: 3593
Positive Score: 4
Negative Score: 0
Joined: Sun Oct 25, 2009 8:24 pm
Fan Level: BYU Fan
Prediction Group: CougarCorner
+1 by:

0
0

Re: Mitt Romney's VP

Postby snoscythe » Mon Jul 16, 2012 5:58 pm

I'm hoping for Rice, but I think it goes to one of the Vanilla Three: Pawlenty, Portman, or Ryan. Jindal shot himself in the foot with his national disaster of a rebuttal to Obama's State of the Union Address, and I think Rubio has been a non-starter for the Romney campaign since day one simply because of his quasi-Mormon past, but they all have to be "vetted" to keep the NAACP et'al happy.

Like everything else in Romney's campaign to date, look for "safe" to rule the nomination process.
User avatar
snoscythe
Over-Achiever
 
Posts: 5817
Positive Score: 30
Negative Score: 0
Joined: Fri Sep 11, 2009 10:52 am
Fan Level: BYU Fanatic
Prediction Group: CougarCorner
+1 by:

0
0

Re: Mitt Romney's VP

Postby Ddawg » Mon Jul 16, 2012 6:20 pm

I like your perspective Sno. Personally, I like Pawlenty -but he is too neutral, as you said "vanilla," too milk toast.

Portman - a complete unknown to me. A quiet void. I'm sure solid and very capable. I have never read anything but positive reviews about Portman. He's just "Mr. Brick in the Wall."

Paul Ryan - I like him a lot. But, Ryan is a lightning rod because of his budget. I think he is an easy target for the Obama team's scoundrel, deceitful attack ads. Romney needs to stay away from the easy negative hits.

Instead, Romney needs an unassailable champion. Someone that can attack Obama and his policies aggressively with knowledge, experience, and have impact. You want laser sharp, surgical attacks that draw blood and wound deeply. Someone that has command presence and commands respect from the national press. This is crunch time.

IMHO, there is only one VP candidate that meets those requirements - Condi Rice.
User avatar
Ddawg
Pro
 
Posts: 3593
Positive Score: 4
Negative Score: 0
Joined: Sun Oct 25, 2009 8:24 pm
Fan Level: BYU Fan
Prediction Group: CougarCorner
+1 by:

0
0

Re: Mitt Romney's VP

Postby snoscythe » Mon Jul 16, 2012 7:24 pm

Ddawg wrote:Instead, Romney needs an unassailable champion. Someone that can attack Obama and his policies aggressively with knowledge, experience, and have impact. You want laser sharp, surgical attacks that draw blood and wound deeply. Someone that has command presence and commands respect from the national press. This is crunch time.

IMHO, there is only one VP candidate that meets those requirements - Condi Rice.


The reason I don't think Rice gets the nomination is this: she's never run for an elected office before, and this is a pretty big stage for learning on the fly. We've seen people with campaign experience flub it big time (Sarah Palin, Dan Quayle) and drag down the entire ticket. As compelling a choice as Rice is, I don't see the Romney "safety-first" campaign taking on that risk.
User avatar
snoscythe
Over-Achiever
 
Posts: 5817
Positive Score: 30
Negative Score: 0
Joined: Fri Sep 11, 2009 10:52 am
Fan Level: BYU Fanatic
Prediction Group: CougarCorner
+1 by:

0
0

Re: Mitt Romney's VP

Postby hawkwing » Mon Jul 16, 2012 7:24 pm

Rand wouldn't add anything to the ticket because Ron Paul zealots are mindless idiots. They have already called for a hit on Rand's head for having a brain.
Bronco: Another Hawkwing post? SWEET!
Image

Tradition - Spirit - Honor
User avatar
hawkwing
Retired
 
Posts: 9074
Positive Score: 26
Negative Score: -1
Images: 226
Joined: Tue Jul 24, 2007 11:35 am
Fan Level: BYU Blue Goggled Homer
Prediction Group: CougarCorner
+1 by:

0
0

Re: Mitt Romney's VP

Postby Ddawg » Mon Jul 16, 2012 8:38 pm

snoscythe wrote:
Ddawg wrote:Instead, Romney needs an unassailable champion. Someone that can attack Obama and his policies aggressively with knowledge, experience, and have impact. You want laser sharp, surgical attacks that draw blood and wound deeply. Someone that has command presence and commands respect from the national press. This is crunch time.

IMHO, there is only one VP candidate that meets those requirements - Condi Rice.


The reason I don't think Rice gets the nomination is this: she's never run for an elected office before, and this is a pretty big stage for learning on the fly. We've seen people with campaign experience flub it big time (Sarah Palin, Dan Quayle) and drag down the entire ticket. As compelling a choice as Rice is, I don't see the Romney "safety-first" campaign taking on that risk.


Damn-it Sno, you piss me off. You're probably right. We probably end up with a vanilla VP or Marco Rubio. Rubio is not a bad choice though. I like him. He handles himself well, and he addresses the Hispanic minority group - perhaps quiets their fears. He's my #2.
User avatar
Ddawg
Pro
 
Posts: 3593
Positive Score: 4
Negative Score: 0
Joined: Sun Oct 25, 2009 8:24 pm
Fan Level: BYU Fan
Prediction Group: CougarCorner
+1 by:

0
0

Re: Mitt Romney's VP

Postby BoiseBYU » Tue Jul 17, 2012 7:48 am

It will be Portman. He can deliver Ohio. Rice brings foreign policy cachet and intelligence but she is not conservative enough for the base. Rubio has a Mormon past and as qualified as he is, that would become the issue and a distracting one at that. The nomination comes before the Olympics...at least these are my predictions.
User avatar
BoiseBYU
Heisman Winner
 
Posts: 2914
Positive Score: 13
Negative Score: 0
Joined: Mon Oct 26, 2009 12:35 pm
Fan Level: BYU Fan
Prediction Group: CougarCorner
+1 by:

0
0

Re: Mitt Romney's VP

Postby Ddawg » Tue Jul 17, 2012 11:56 am

This is a very big call for Ronmey. It's possible his election could hinge on his choice. Historically the VP does not have that much influence in the presidential race. Last time, with McCain and Palin it did.

I have supreme confidence Mitt Romney will make a good choice. The difficult variable is, there are about 3 good choices. It's all about degrees of separation between the possible VP choices.

There are 10 days to go till the Summer Olympics kick off (July 27 - Aug 12). I could see a VP announcement before the Olympics, but, then all the positive momentum and excitement from that announcement would disappear for 2 weeks.

It will be real interesting to see how the Romney "think tank" decides to make the call on this announcement. I think a lot rides on how it is handled and "who" the VP choice is.
Last edited by Ddawg on Wed Jul 18, 2012 6:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
User avatar
Ddawg
Pro
 
Posts: 3593
Positive Score: 4
Negative Score: 0
Joined: Sun Oct 25, 2009 8:24 pm
Fan Level: BYU Fan
Prediction Group: CougarCorner
+1 by:

0
0

Re: Mitt Romney's VP

Postby snoscythe » Tue Jul 17, 2012 5:53 pm

Ddawg wrote:I could see a VP announcement before the Olympics, but, then all the positive momentum and excitement from that announcement would disappear for 2 weeks.


But it would give them relatively positive recency for those two weeks. Right now the most recent thought that would dwell in the subconscious for those two weeks is "Mitt Romney--Bain--lies--felon." They can't let that be the scene where the pause button gets hit. If not a VP nomination, they need something else positive to drive the cycle their way right before the break.
User avatar
snoscythe
Over-Achiever
 
Posts: 5817
Positive Score: 30
Negative Score: 0
Joined: Fri Sep 11, 2009 10:52 am
Fan Level: BYU Fanatic
Prediction Group: CougarCorner
+1 by:

0
0

Re: Mitt Romney's VP

Postby BroncoBot » Tue Jul 17, 2012 6:37 pm

hawkwing wrote:Ryan wouldn't add anything to the ticket because Ron Paul zealots are mindless idiots. They have already called for a hit on Rand's head for having a brain.

lolz. What are you talking about hawk?
User avatar
BroncoBot
Over-Achiever
 
Posts: 6852
Positive Score: 5
Negative Score: -1
Joined: Tue Aug 26, 2008 10:30 pm
Fan Level: BYU Fanatic
Prediction Group: CougarCorner
+1 by:

Next

Return to The Lounge

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest


  • Next Football Game

Boise State:

weeks
0
0
days
0
0
hours
0
0
mins
0
0
secs
0
0
Channel: ESPN Kickoff: 10/24 19:00 MST
Location: Boise, ID
  • Next Basketball Game

Next Season:

weeks
0
0
days
0
0
hours
0
0
mins
0
0
secs
0
0
Channel: Tipoff: 11/5 18:0 MST
Location: Marriot Center
  • Support CougarCorner

Don't want to see these ads? Sign in or Register!

  • Register
  • Login
    • CougarCorner Man Updates
    • CougarCorner News Bites
    • CougarCorner Prediction Game

    Next FB Game

    Opponent: Boise State
    Location: Boise, ID
    Date: Oct 24, 19:00

    Enter Your Predictions

    Average Predictions

    QuestionPrediction
    BYU Score31
    Boise State Score30
    More Turn OversBYU
    BYU Pass Yards321
    BYU Rush Yards164
    Boise State Pass Yards302
    Boise State Rush Yards120
    More Field GoalsBoise State
    More TDsBYU
    More SacksBoise State

    Previous FB Game

    Predictions v Results

    QuestionPredictionActual
    BYU Score3335
    Nevada Score2042
    More Turn OversNevadaBYU
    BYU Pass Yards257408
    BYU Rush Yards187193
    Nevada Pass Yards237285
    Nevada Rush Yards91126
    More Field GoalsNevadaNevada
    More TDsBYUNevada
    More SacksBYUNevada

    Next BBall

    No Next Game Found

    Previous BBall

    Place Holder for Prev Basketball Game

    cron