Church Re-evaluating Relationship with BSA

Feel free to discuss appropriate non-BYU/Sports related topics here. We ask you to respect other users, the Church, avoid soapbox postings, and keep it clean.
billbillbillbill
BLUEshirt
Fan Level: BYU Fanatic
Prediction Group: CougarCorner

Re: Church Re-evaluating Relationship with BSA

Post by billbillbillbill »

snoscythe wrote:The next part of our situation is even more appalling, but I realized that this is a fairly rare circumstance, but nevertheless indicative of the problems with Scouts and use of Church funds.

Even with the unreal budget, last year (prior to my calling) the Deacons went $700 over their budget+fundraiser. The stake YM presidency member (who was running our Scouts program until I was called--they were 3 months without a called Scoutmaster) as part of my training told me that the ward budget from Scouts was not to limit us--the way the Scouting program works (according to him) was that the boys planned what they wanted to do, and it was up to the ward to come up with the money to make it happen. Hence the $700 overage--they were essentially giving 12- and 13-year olds a blank check.

One of the stupidest things I have ever encountered in Church administration.
Wow, I'm a scoutmaster now and when I ask the boys where they want to camp, their first answer is Florida Sea Base every time. Guess I gotta move to that ward to get to do something like that. :D

After camp and awards, I am left with not much in the way of budget but we have a pretty good time and make do.

jvquarterback
Heisman Winner
Fan Level: BYU Fan

Post by jvquarterback »

I was just at scout camp last night. On the way up the member of the stake presidency (who's on the northern california bsa board) and I figured the chartering cost alone for the church in the the US is ~$10.5M. Our stake (and the 9 others in the area) contributes $5-8K for maintanence of our local scout camps (the stake also contribute to church camps used by the YW but those camps are available to all members - and could easily be used by the YM at minimal extra expense).

You could build a lot of chapels in Africa with those funds.

At camp the past week I've said, "a scout is thrifty" quite a few times. I don't think we're teaching that principle.

If ye love the tranquility of servitude better than the contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.
Sam Adams
imuakahuku
All-American
Fan Level: BYU Blue Goggled Homer

Post by imuakahuku »

A few years ago when I was the YM Pres and the revamped Duty to God was unveiled someone with close ties in Utah (to those in the downtown offices) explained that this was the precursor to if/when the church could no longer support the BSA. Hence we now have a DtG night for mutual and many physical things have been added that resemble those found in the scouting handbook. I suspect this hasn't changed and that they have a more fully developed DtG program sitting in the wings waiting for the day when BSA relents due to law suites etc and mandates that gay leaders be allowed by all scout troops. I remember the first "new" copy I saw looked like they copied several pages from the scout handbook with swimming requirements, hiking, etc. I've been out of YM for a few years now (which disappoints me because now I have a 14yr old son and a 13 yr old daughter going to MIA) and it looks like the book is different from that first one. So I imagine they have a fully developed program that will step right in where Scouts will have left off - activities wise.
I think a real tell tale will be what is the church doing in regards to camps etc. The Johnson farm here in Ohio was changed from farming (I liked going there to pick strawberries and apples, and pruning the apple trees and miss it) to a girls camp. But we regularly hold ward camps there so I can see it easily being used for DtG Camp. So what has the church been doing outside of NE Ohio that would accommodate scouting type activities?
Last edited by imuakahuku on Tue Aug 11, 2015 10:20 am, edited 1 time in total.

imuakahuku
All-American

Post by imuakahuku »

In my first and second Ohio wards (I'm in my third now) we had very robust scouting programs. I was YM pres in both and in the YM presidency for a time before being called as president. Our budgets were always really small and barely covered merit badges etc. In the first ward we did take the Laurels and Priests on a day long skiing trip every year to PA and still got a lot of fun activities regardless of not having money for paid activities. One year we did a fundraiser and took the boys to FL on a week long deep sea fishing trip where they stayed on the boat for the whole week. There was a slight difference when I first joined YM but by my third stint as YM pres we were getting nearly the exact same amount of money as the YW program and far below the Primary (but nobody batted an eye to that). So I think it does come down to the local leaders.

As an aside - one of the most successful $ makers I have ever seen was our pizza selling. We would take orders for several weeks (cheese or pep.) and then tally up the total. We then would go to Sam's to buy the ingredients. Some kids would sell over 500 pizzas but most sold between 150-200. We would make them on a set day and then deliver them wrapped and ready from freezing. If the boy did not participate in making and/or delivering them then they would lose out on their cut. We usually made about $2 profit on each. We would sell them for $5 or $6 and many people would buy 10-15 pizzas from the scouts. We paid for so many things including camps, supplies, tents etc. Every year it was a huge income to the troop. I will say it was a few long days for the scoutmaster but he was all in as it was the only fundraiser we did and made enough to even be "creative" with some of our activities.

byufan4ever
Heisman Winner

Post by byufan4ever »

Is there any more news/rumors about when scouting will be dropped? Will it happen at Oct General Conference? I'm the Cub Master and we're kicking off our new year (along with the school year). Do I tell the parents to buy the scout books and uniforms or hold off? If it's going to get canceled soon then that would be a waste of money.

"life is 10% what happens to me and 90% how I react to it." - Charles Swindoll
NCAA Tournament > empty wins
scott715
TV Analyst

Post by scott715 »

They need time. Can you wait a month?

hawkwing
TV Analyst

Post by hawkwing »

Latest I heard was that some scout masters and bishopric members in some wards and stakes were being told they didn't need to bother doing their Friends of Scouting training or whatever. But I have no idea how true that is.

billbillbillbill
BLUEshirt

Post by billbillbillbill »

My Great Salt Lake Council connected family member is saying that the General Young Mens are at least asking for a statement or something before September 1st when Friends of Scouting is going to kick off.

He did say he doesn't expect a big change immediately because decisions have to be unanimous and things don't usually move too fast with the brethren. He also says they do know that the latest Duty to God program has been less than successful (I have personally struggled getting my deacons even remotely excited for it). Anyways, that is what I am hearing.

Schmoe
Retired

Post by Schmoe »

Would it really be that difficult to create our own wilderness program that goes hand-in-hand with Duty to God? Just pick a wilderness scout name that's not taken and bam! you've got your replacement to Boy Scouts. Even those not of our faith could have their own troops if they're in a similar pickle.

I'm just a regular, everyday normal guy,
I can't afford a car, I use public transportation,
I don't mind, I read till I reach my destination,
sometimes a newspaper, sometimes a book,
the money I save, this stuff is off the hook,
SpiffCoug
TV Analyst

Post by SpiffCoug »

What would the new ranks be?