Sooooo......

Feel free to discuss appropriate non-BYU/Sports related topics here. We ask you to respect other users, the Church, avoid soapbox postings, and keep it clean.
imuakahuku
All-American
Fan Level: BYU Blue Goggled Homer
Prediction Group: CougarCorner

Re: Sooooo......

Post by imuakahuku »

Larrycoug wrote:So you're saying Roberts lied about his beliefs of the constitution (his sworn duty as a justice) to get Romney elected?

And if so you must then have an extremely low opinion of the guy, right?

[ Post made via Mobile Device ] Image
I was going to ignore your intellegent and well thought out remarks but I guess I'll give you a little more fodder.

I said I came to the conclusion that he may have done something for a not very apparent reason. My other thought is that if he caved because of media and political pressure then I could possibly explain his actions by saying he just appears to have weak character.

How in the world did you get to low opinion from there? Your logic has me confused.

Quinns 7th law of Liberalism "When a liberal "fixes" something, someone somewhere loses their job".

imuakahuku
All-American

Post by imuakahuku »

Larrycoug wrote:I was pleased that the decision wasn't purely political, and admire Roberts for thinking for himself. I think way too many people decide they don't like something based on who is providing it. The conservatives loved Romneycare initially.

I'll also admit that I'm glad that something being done about the freeloaders in the health care system.

[ Post made via Mobile Device ] Image
So let’s look at your comment.
You think that 70% of Americans want to get rid of Obamacare because of who instituted it and not what is does? Pretty racist comment if you ask me.

As for thinking for himself, I think you misunderstand what he did. He just took judicial activism to a whole new level. He rewrote the legislation to fit into his definition and reasoning to approve it. There have been very questionable explanations given in the past but no Chief Justice has ever rewritten the legislation to meet their judgment.
Second he has now given nearly unfettered power to the federal government. They can now basically FORCE you to go buy a $45,000 Chevy Volt and call it a tax. They can now FORCE you buy anything they want. ANYTHING!

As for the freeloaders, how does this diminish that? You can’t get blood from a rock. And they would never get it from the majority of their base. They will follow dem protocol and start issuing abeyances and exclusions to certain groups or businesses – oh wait they are already doing that so I guess I can strike the word “start” from my comment. As long as there are votes that can be bought and the dem party as constituted today doesn’t “find religion” there will always be freeloaders. To say otherwise is intellectually dishonest.

Also, please don't bring up Romneycare. You make yourself appear uninformed and a “regurgitator” of democrat talking points. It has been proven ad nauseam that what Romney tried to do in Mass looks NOTHING like Obamacare nor even the current Romneycare but a 75% dem congress in Mass overrode his vetoes for all the Obama style stuff in it. His plan brought in private insurance and fostered free market solutions but he fell for the dem trap. He signed the original bill and next thing you know the dems went wild and screwed it up as usual.

BTW today's talking point is that Romney is a felon. Please spread that wisely and unwisely if you like. Obama’s cronies don't care if it’s true just that it gets spread.

snoscythe
Retired
Fan Level: BYU Fanatic

Post by snoscythe »

Where do you get 70% of Americans want to get rid of Obamacare?

The most recent polling I've seen is 46%.

Rasmussen shows 43% strongly support, and if you force undecideds to take a stance, it gets up to 52%. Support for repeal has been falling like a rock ever since the Roberts decision.

Ddawg
All Star
Fan Level: BYU Fan

Post by Ddawg »

The polls I have seen show 50-52% still want to Repeal ObamaCare.

I did see a poll that had 80% feel ObamaCare will be Repealed, if Romney is elected president.

Let's hope that's true, on both points.

snoscythe
Retired

Post by snoscythe »

Ddawg wrote:The polls I have seen show 50-52% still want to Repeal ObamaCare.

I did see a poll that had 80% feel ObamaCare will be Repealed, if Romney is elected president.

Let's hope that's true, on both points.
Here's the Rasmussen poll from earlier this week on support for ObamaCare.

http://www.rasmussenreports.com/public_ ... h_care_law" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

You only get across 50% when you take away "undecided" and force them to support or oppose.

The 80% poll you refer to has been mischaracterized by the media in looking for punchy headlines--it's less revealing than you might think. The only thing surprising about it is that 20% answered "unlikely." Here's the poll question:
Think for a moment about the health care plan passed by Congress and signed into law by President Obama. If Mitt Romney is elected president and Republicans win control of Congress, how likely is it that the health care law will be repealed?
Note that it's not just if Romney wins, but if the GOP holds the House and takes the Senate as well. 80% responded with some form of likely, 15% unlikely. With the entire question, you realize it's not as shocking as the headlines have made it out to be.

imuakahuku
All-American

Post by imuakahuku »

snoscythe wrote:Where do you get 70% of Americans want to get rid of Obamacare?

Rasmussen shows 43% strongly support, and if you force undecideds to take a stance, it gets up to 52%. Support for repeal has been falling like a rock ever since the Roberts decision.
Polls I have seen Times, CBS, ABC, and others have put the number between 52% and 74%. And those are hardly "conservative" media outlets. Rassmusen puts it at 53% strongly or support repeal in whole or in part. BTW he only counts those "likely" to vote. Another thing to bear in mind is that most polls tend to poll 8 to 10 percent more dems than repubs. I've never trusted polls anyways because they seem slightly to very slanted to some agenda. That's why I find it odd that many mainstream media even report numbers that get it above 50%. It must make them sick. :sick:

I don't know who you have been listening to (Huffington Post per chance?) but I have only heard that more people are fired up now than before the decision. Romney raised millions immediately following the decision. I think the evidence will be when Romney wins in a landslide.
Regardless of any of it I think Romney will make good and rid us of such an evil contrivance such as this. And not a day too soon -although I think the House can stall by defunding it.

snoscythe
Retired

Post by snoscythe »

imuakahuku wrote:

Polls I have seen Times, CBS, ABC, and others have put the number between 52% and 74%. And those are hardly "conservative" media outlets. Rassmusen puts it at 53% strongly or support repeal in whole or in part. BTW he only counts those "likely" to vote. Another thing to bear in mind is that most polls tend to poll 8 to 10 percent more dems than repubs. I've never trusted polls anyways because they seem slightly to very slanted to some agenda. That's why I find it odd that many mainstream media even report numbers that get it above 50%. It must make them sick. :sick:

I don't know who you have been listening to (Huffington Post per chance?) but I have only heard that more people are fired up now than before the decision. Romney raised millions immediately following the decision. I think the evidence will be when Romney wins in a landslide.
Regardless of any of it I think Romney will make good and rid us of such an evil contrivance such as this. And not a day too soon -although I think the House can stall by defunding it.
I live in Colorado, and all the middle-of-the-road people I know are giving Obamacare a second look now that it's "Constitutional." Between now and election day, more and more of the independents and undecideds are going to trend to Obama because now that we have it, it's an entitlement, and Romney wants to take that entitlement away. Up until last month, no one thought of it that way because the entire debate was whether or not it was constitutional. Now that that is over, and now that people are entitled to it, more and more are going to find reasons to like it and decide they want to keep it, and that's exactly the way polls have been trending since the SCOTUS decision.

Ddawg
All Star

Post by Ddawg »

Sno - I looked that Rasmussen Reports poll up. I follow Rasmussen pretty regularly. For July 7-8 it still showed 53% want ObamaCare repealed.

In figuring out what chances are left to repeal ObamaCare, I feel like we are trying to figure out who the Wildcard team will be as we approach Playoffs.

If X loses, and Z wins, then Y can control their own destiny. It's come down to that. The options left aren't many. Only one shot, and that's this Nov. 6, on Tuesday. It's for all the marbles. One and done. No Mulligan. No second chance. The Conservative leaning folks must prevail in the presidency, the Senate, and retain the House. No 2nd place finish will do.

So, I'm giving this election all I have. I talk to folks, all the time. I have a number of hardcore Obama supporters - but even they are beginning to question his economic track record.

Oh well. It's one big roll of the dice come November. It's the 4th Qtr, 2 min to go, we have the ball, and were down by 6. It's crunch time.

imuakahuku
All-American

Post by imuakahuku »

snoscythe wrote:
imuakahuku wrote:

I live in Colorado, and all the middle-of-the-road people I know are giving Obamacare a second look now that it's "Constitutional." Between now and election day, more and more of the independents and undecideds are going to trend to Obama because now that we have it, it's an entitlement, and Romney wants to take that entitlement away. Up until last month, no one thought of it that way because the entire debate was whether or not it was constitutional. Now that that is over, and now that people are entitled to it, more and more are going to find reasons to like it and decide they want to keep it, and that's exactly the way polls have been trending since the SCOTUS decision.
Except that it was labled a tax. The largest ever. Includes 21 additional taxes including a 3.8% gross earnings tax (that generally equates to one paycheck for those who get them every other week-so in effect it, the one tax, will move tax freedom day out two more weeks alone). 159 new agencies, boards and commissions, calls for the hiring of 16500 new IRS agents, and already is now up to 13000 new pages of regulations.
There are a lot of confused people in Col I'll give you that but accross the nation the facts continue to roll forth. You need to "educate" more of your neighbors about this thing. Funny thing is I live in blue Ohio (part of the state north of Columbus and nearly all dem controlled. Nearly everyone I work with (90% would be my estimate), every neighbor, every person I associate with (through sports, dance and other kids activities), and see at church are fired up and ready to see it gone. Those that don't I have mostly been able to give a nice lesson to and cause serious doubt to their conviction that it is good. A real nice thing that I have noticed is that people are starting to think again which should help get this country back on the correct course.

Ddawg
All Star

Post by Ddawg »

+1 Imuakahuku. It's a "Grave" new world. No joke.