Response to “Are Mormons Closer to Muslims or Christians?”

Feel free to discuss appropriate non-BYU/Sports related topics here. We ask you to respect other users, the Church, avoid soapbox postings, and keep it clean.
CougarClaw
Pro
Fan Level: BYU Fanatic
Prediction Group: CougarCorner

Re: Response to “Are Mormons Closer to Muslims or Christians

Post by CougarClaw »

Ddawg wrote:
CougarClaw wrote:
For those who think that Muslims are solely violent people here's a few statistics for you.

If you are including me in the above statement - you are incorrect. I do not think, believe, or infer that "Muslims are solely violent people".
then that statement is not for you.

as for Iran, don't confuse wacky government leaders as representing the mindset of an entire nation. We know about that all too well in this country. Ahmadinejad has plenty of critics in his own country.

Ddawg
All Star
Fan Level: BYU Fan

Post by Ddawg »

It's true - Ahmadinejad has many detractors in Iran - to the point that there are serious accusations of corrupt/rigged elections so he can stay in office and the Islamic theocracy.

That said - Iran is still a Muslim based theocracy, dedicated to the utter annihilation of the entire Jewish race.

Let's take Germany in the late 1930's. Not all Germans supported Adolph Hitler. Just the same, he was able to wreak destruction throughout Europe, plunge the world into war, and kill over 6 million Jews. Modern day Iran would have no problem doing the exact same thing - and more - if they could get away with it.

Ddawg
All Star
Fan Level: BYU Fan

Post by Ddawg »

Khamenei: Zionist regime will disappear from map

By HERB KEINON, 8/15/2012

http://www.jpost.com/IranianThreat/News ... ?id=281366" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Do all Iranians and Muslims agree with the Iranian theocratic leaders? No. But, these guys run a nuclear country, and they have an agenda of genocide based on religion and ethnicity.

hawkwing
TV Analyst
Fan Level: BYU Blue Goggled Homer

Post by hawkwing »

The palestianians have it so tough under Israel, I bet they wish they could go back to the days when they were kept as dogs under the Egyptians who treated them even worse...

Muslims are so peace loving, yet no major Muslim organization has ever come out in defiance of the acts of terrorism. No major Muslim group decries the death sentences decreed for anyone who speaks disrespectfully of their prophet.

If you truly believe that Muslims are solely peace loving people, send your mother, wife, sister, or daughter to live as a muslim woman in Iraq, Iran, Saudi Arabia, or Egypt.

Schmoe
Retired

Post by Schmoe »

hawkwing wrote: If you truly believe that Muslims are solely peace loving people, send your mother, wife, sister, or daughter to live as a muslim woman in Iraq, Iran, Saudi Arabia, or Egypt.
Better yet, draw and publish a picture of Mohammed.

I'm just a regular, everyday normal guy,
I can't afford a car, I use public transportation,
I don't mind, I read till I reach my destination,
sometimes a newspaper, sometimes a book,
the money I save, this stuff is off the hook,
CougarClaw
Pro

Post by CougarClaw »

hawkwing wrote:The palestianians have it so tough under Israel, I bet they wish they could go back to the days when they were kept as dogs under the Egyptians who treated them even worse...
Interesting point. Things have changed quite a bit since then, and I think Palestinians would relish the thought of being under Egyptian rule under ANYBODY else's rule today.
hawkwing wrote:Muslims are so peace loving, yet no major Muslim organization has ever come out in defiance of the acts of terrorism. No major Muslim group decries the death sentences decreed for anyone who speaks disrespectfully of their prophet.
Here you are:
http://kurzman.unc.edu/islamic-statemen ... terrorism/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Many, many Islamist do not agree with terrorism. But they don't have a pope or a central leader that can speak for everyone like we're familiar with and expecting. Our media paints them as a roving horde of bloodthirsty pagans and statements made by significant leaders of Islam are simply not news here.
hawkwing wrote:If you truly believe that Muslims are solely peace loving people, send your mother, wife, sister, or daughter to live as a muslim woman in Iraq, Iran, Saudi Arabia, or Egypt.
I have. I've lived in Jordan and brought my wife out with me. Amman has less crime than the great Utah metropolis of Salt Lake City. We learned quite a bit from the women out there. One of my biggest shocks was learning that many women there see their society as protecting women's morality and place in society and doesn't exploit women like ours does. Many do not see or feel repression at all.

You're understandably trying to apply modern, western standards of acceptance, tolerance and feminism on an ancient nomadic culture where it simply doesn't fit.

I really liked this cartoon:

hawkwing
TV Analyst

Post by hawkwing »

No, I'm talking about the women who live in Egypt who used to be free to live their lives any way they wanted to, whether it conform to Muslim ideals of modesty or not, but now that the government has been over thrown and a Muslim theocracy installed women are regularly raped and beaten.

hawkwing
TV Analyst

Post by hawkwing »

As for the palestinians, they would literally rather die than live in peace with the Jews. I don't fault the Jewish people one bit for doing whatever is necessary to protect themselves from those who continuously kill and main them. The palestinians have continuously turned down and abused peaceful gestures from the Israelis.

CougarClaw
Pro

Post by CougarClaw »

Ddawg wrote:It's true - Ahmadinejad has many detractors in Iran - to the point that there are serious accusations of corrupt/rigged elections so he can stay in office and the Islamic theocracy.

That said - Iran is still a Muslim based theocracy, dedicated to the utter annihilation of the entire Jewish race.
This is the western perspective. and it's valid in it's own argument. I don't disagree, it's awful.

Now try to look at it from the Palestinian perspective. Iran is protecting their Palestinian brothers from annihilation. Israel has already invaded Palestinian lands and in no way can be convinced to leave. They were not there "first" and some British declaration for an Israeli state means little to those already there. Now Israel threatens the indigenous population with economic and cultural annihilation using US guns and ammunition. The only way to prevent that is by removing and undermining the "oppressors". Can't you see the self-defense argument? There's two sides to this and no one, not even our beloved Israel, has clean hands in this mess.
Ddawg wrote:Let's take Germany in the late 1930's. Not all Germans supported Adolph Hitler. Just the same, he was able to wreak destruction throughout Europe, plunge the world into war, and kill over 6 million Jews.
but yet after all the horrible things wrought by nazi germany, I bet you still can sit down with a german today and not worry whether he's going to kill you. I suspect you would not feel nearly as comfortable with a Muslim. Why is that? You view the German as civilized despite what Germany did or was capable of. And despite learning the radical Islam is not Islam, I continue to hear statements indicting the entire group. That's wrong.
Ddawg wrote:Modern day Iran would have no problem doing the exact same thing - and more - if they could get away with it.
yes Iran probably would, because Israel is currently getting away with extinguishing the Palestinians. It's happening right now. And ugly as it is that's what war does: eliminate your enemies. Don't get me wrong, I don't have a solution. I don't advocate what either side wants to do, I just have a much different perspective than the pro-Israeli diet we're fed here dictates.

CougarClaw
Pro

Post by CougarClaw »

hawkwing wrote:No, I'm talking about the women who live in Egypt who used to be free to live their lives any way they wanted to, whether it conform to Muslim ideals of modesty or not, but now that the government has been over thrown and a Muslim theocracy installed women are regularly raped and beaten.
and yet women are regularly raped and beaten in this country as well. According to this website, US rapes per capita are more than 30x what they are in Egypt.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rape_statistics" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Clearly the counter argument is that Egyptian data just goes unreported but I would not be surprised at all to learn that Egypt still has a far lower rate than we do, revolution and all. I suppose it's impossible to prove but sensational accounts do not indict the society, they only serve to reinforce false western stereotypes. Surely Muslim society has issues. It's not a Utopia. My argument is that ours, in many ways, is worse and that theirs, in more ways, is much better than you give it credit for.