Response to “Are Mormons Closer to Muslims or Christians?”

Feel free to discuss appropriate non-BYU/Sports related topics here. We ask you to respect other users, the Church, avoid soapbox postings, and keep it clean.
tww
Sophomore
Fan Level: BYU Blue Goggled Homer
Prediction Group: CougarCorner

Re: Response to “Are Mormons Closer to Muslims or Christians

Post by tww »

CougarClaw wrote:
tww wrote:On that note... I think CougarClaw has earned a new nickname.

I dub thee, "The Craw."

Is that name calling? Bonus points for anybody that knows the reference.

(clue: If you are under 40 years old you probably won't have any idea.)
CRAW. : an itching skin disease produced by the larvae of the filarial worm causing onchocerciasis migrating in the subcutaneous tissues;

gee thanks.
LOL! That sounds great but..... (buzzzzzzzzzzz.) Sorry, that is not the reference I am looking for. Care to try again? Need another clue. Okay, here is the second clue. If you are Smart you will know the right answer.

tww
Sophomore

Post by tww »

Here is another clue: The name is Craw, not CRAW!

Mythranor
BLUEshirt

Post by Mythranor »

Do I get credit for being under 40 but knowing how to use Google to get the answers. http://bojack.org/2005/09/not_craw_craw.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

tww
Sophomore

Post by tww »

Mythranor wrote:Do I get credit for being under 40 but knowing how to use Google to get the answers. http://bojack.org/2005/09/not_craw_craw.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Ding, ding, ding! We have a winner. Good work. But it is still probably not as funny as it would have been had you seen the show.

Ah, the good old days win America was a free-er place and we could poke fun at commies and well, anything anti-American. I just found a little "chaos" in CougarClaw's political argument.

Thus, the Craw.

SpiffCoug
TV Analyst
Fan Level: BYU Fanatic

Post by SpiffCoug »

tww wrote:Here is another clue: The name is Craw, not CRAW!
Back to the Beach?

BYU PER W/L Since 1972: 432-76 (.850)
(8.4x
YDS)+(330xTD)+(100xCOM)-(200xINT)
..................ATT
SpiffCoug's posts are BB-8 approved!
imuakahuku
All-American

Post by imuakahuku »

CougarClaw wrote:
imuakahuku wrote:
CougarClaw wrote:
imuakahuku wrote:
quinn's 2nd law of liberalism Hate speech is any speech a liberal doesn't agree with.
I really riled you up there didn't I. Now you're calling me names. That's okay. I don't hate you. you should try it some time.
Lol Umm who started with the hate speech? are you self identifying? you are excusing Islam, I just pointed out facts, gave my opinion and suddenly I was full of hate. see how it works boys and girls.

[ Post made via Mobile Device ] Image
.. How on this green earth did you finagle hate speech out of my response? self-identifying? LOL. I JUST finished writing "I DON"T HATE YOU."

Let's go back to logic-ville for a moment. My goal was to provide insight into my experience with muslims, living in a muslim country, speaking their language, and knowing them personally. If you feel your understanding of muslims is superior to mine to the point where you can completely disregard my perspectives as you are now doing, then that's your call.

However, if someone came to me and tried to tell me how Mormons were evil based on things he/she had read on the internet I would sincerely hope they would at least consider my real-life experience before calling me a liberal and ignoring cries for tolerance and brotherly love as you are now doing. No need to hate. anyone.
Sometimes I think these are circular.
First, you describe my post as full of hate and anger. So I ask you to point it out and you accuse me of claiming that you are full of hate and anger. Then you again accuse me of hate. LOL See the circle?
I didn't call you a liberal because I am pretty sure there are no liberals on this website. Maybe I'll take the time to educate you on what a liberal really is. There seems to be some misconception on this board.
As for islam, thanks for the perspective but please do not say we are like them and can learn good from islam. Islam is Satan's church. There is no clearer way I can put it. There are some good people that are islamic but the religion is evil.

case in point: http://www.foxnews.com/world/2012/08/20 ... latestnews

"A Christian girl with Down syndrome could be punished by death in Pakistan after she was spotted holding burned pages of Islamic text in public, activists and police say.

Defaming Islam, the Koran or the Prophet Muhammed is a capital offense in Pakistan.

After the incident, religious tensions and rallies involving Muslim protesters forced Christians to temporarily flee Mehrabad"

And they are fleeing run of the mill villagers. The story is atrocious. Just like islam's teachings. And my overall point is that you cannot go into any muslim country or even neighborhood in this world and tear a page out of the koran without inciting violence against you. And in the case of the islamic governed countries a death penalty. Heck just try to teach the sermon on the mount on a street corner and watch what happens.
So feel good that some of them are nice but the run of the mill villager sure seems to radicalize quickly and violently in the name of islam.

So to the point of this thread, it is offensive to me to see anyone claim that His church is anything like the muslim church.

BroncoBot
Retired

Post by BroncoBot »

imuakahuku wrote: There seems to be some misconception on this board.

As for islam, thanks for the perspective but please do not say we are like them and can learn good from islam. Islam is Satan's church. There is no clearer way I can put it.

There are some good people that are islamic but the religion is evil.

So to the point of this thread, it is offensive to me to see anyone claim that His church is anything like the muslim church.
Imua,

Here's some reading for you.

http://www.deseretnews.com/article/7053 ... tml?pg=all" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

http://www.lds.org/ensign/2002/03/a-life-among-muslims" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

http://www.lds.org/ensign/2000/08/a-lat ... n-muhammad" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Which includes a great quote by President Gordon B. Hinckley- "Be respectful of the opinions and feelings of other people. Recognize their virtues; don’t look for their faults. Look for their strengths and their virtues, and you will find strength and virtues that will be helpful in your own life."

There's more if you want it. I don't know why the church would go to such effort to reach a hand out to the Muslim community if it is "Satan's church". That's taking it way too far man.

tww
Sophomore

Post by tww »

BroncoBot wrote:

As for islam, thanks for the perspective but please do not say we are like them and can learn good from islam. Islam is Satan's church. There is no clearer way I can put it.

Imua,

http://www.deseretnews.com/article/7053 ... tml?pg=all" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

http://www.lds.org/ensign/2002/03/a-life-among-muslims" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

http://www.lds.org/ensign/2000/08/a-lat ... n-muhammad" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Which includes a great quote by President Gordon B. Hinckley- "Be respectful of the opinions and feelings of other people. Recognize their virtues; don’t look for their faults. Look for their strengths and their virtues, and you will find strength and virtues that will be helpful in your own life."

There's more if you want it. I don't know why the church would go to such effort to reach a hand out to the Muslim community if it is "Satan's church". That's taking it way too far man.

I am looking for the quote that says it is not Satan's church. Did I miss it?

There seem to be crossing arguments going on in this thread.
One point is that we should be friendly and respectful of Muslims. I am fine with that but it does not negate the other point being made which is the evil intention and disposition of Islam as a whole. We can be friendly and wise at the same time.

Remember, niceness is not the same as goodness. Evil people are nice to you right up until they rob, rape or kill you. Niceness does not mean anything when judging character. Too many people make that mistake. Sometimes it is their last.

BroncoBot
Retired

Post by BroncoBot »

tww wrote:
BroncoBot wrote:

Imua,

One point is that we should be friendly and respectful of Muslims. I am fine with that but it does not negate the other point being made which is the evil intention and disposition of Islam as a whole. We can be friendly and wise at the same time.

Remember, niceness is not the same as goodness. Evil people are nice to you right up until they rob, rape or kill you. Niceness does not mean anything when judging character. Too many people make that mistake. Sometimes it is their last.
Does it have to say it is not Satan's church for you to make the connection? Please find for me, since you used the term, where the LDS church believes in any way shape or form that Islam is the church of the devil. I thought (according to McKonkie) that was the Catholic church?

So you guys really believe "Islam" is evil and fringe radicals are actually practicing Islam?
Is Judaism evil?
Is Catholicism?
Is protestantism?
How about Buddhism? Hinduism?

All honest questions, just trying to get to know your views a little better.

Here's where I think our misunderstanding is. I don't believe "Islam" to be evil while you, it seems, believe Islam is evil because a very small minority use violence, intimidation, and back up their works with their scriptures (just remember this same minority uses these tactics against others practicing Islam as well) I believe these fringe groups to be politically motivated, not because they truly believe they are doing the work of God. There are a majority of Muslims practicing Islam who are peaceful and are great people. I agree that niceness is not goodness, but goodness is good. There is plenty of good in the religion of Islam. There are a majority of muslims who are being nice out of goodness, not because they want to rape, kill, behead someone.

tww
Sophomore

Post by tww »

BroncoBot wrote:
tww wrote:
BroncoBot wrote:

Imua,

Does it have to say it is not Satan's church for you to make the connection? Please find for me, since you used the term, where the LDS church believes in any way shape or form that Islam is the church of the devil. I thought (according to McKonkie) that was the Catholic church?

So you guys really believe "Islam" is evil and fringe radicals are actually practicing Islam?
Is Judaism evil?
Is Catholicism?
Is protestantism?
How about Buddhism? Hinduism?

All honest questions, just trying to get to know your views a little better.

Here's where I think our misunderstanding is. I don't believe "Islam" to be evil while you, it seems, believe Islam is evil because a very small minority use violence, intimidation, and back up their works with their scriptures (just remember this same minority uses these tactics against others practicing Islam as well) I believe these fringe groups to be politically motivated, not because they truly believe they are doing the work of God. There are a majority of Muslims practicing Islam who are peaceful and are great people. I agree that niceness is not goodness, but goodness is good. There is plenty of good in the religion of Islam. There are a majority of muslims who are being nice out of goodness, not because they want to rape, kill, behead someone.

Please numerically quantify what you mean by "a very small minority." Because the kind of numbers that appear to me are nothing close to a minority. Better yet let's break it down into 4 categories understanding that this is not so scientific as it is to get a better understanding of what we are talking about.
(1) Muslims that intend to oppress, kill or commit immoral acts in the name of their god. Want Sharia law enforced all over the world.
(2) Those that do not intend to personally commit such acts but tolerate or condone them because of religious belief. Support Sharia Law.
(3) Those that do not condone such acts but do not speak out against them or do not fight against them out of fear or apathy. Tolerate Sharia law.
(4) Those that would be considered American patriots or the equivalent ready to stand up to terrorism, condemn and fight against "radical Islam" like Muslim Brotherhood, Hamas, Iran (both political and spiritual leaders), and other Islamic groups that promote violence in the name of religion. This group also recognizes the right of Israel and America to exist and condemns the speech of those calling for the end of Israel. This group also speaks out against the adoption of Sharia law by American and European courts.

Every Muslim must fit in one of these categories. What percentage would you give each category?