Response to “Are Mormons Closer to Muslims or Christians?”

Feel free to discuss appropriate non-BYU/Sports related topics here. We ask you to respect other users, the Church, avoid soapbox postings, and keep it clean.
Ddawg
All Star
Fan Level: BYU Fan
Prediction Group: CougarCorner

Re: Response to “Are Mormons Closer to Muslims or Christians

Post by Ddawg »

'Tumour' of Israel will soon be destroyed: Ahmadinejad"

August 17, 2012

Iranian President Mahmoud Ahmadinejad told an annual anti-Israel protest in Tehran on Friday that the Jewish state was a "cancerous tumour" that will soon be excised, drawing Western rebukes.

Washington said Ahmadinejad's statements were "reprehensible", while Paris viewed them as "outrageous."

Ahmadinejad's diatribe against Israel in his Quds (Jerusalem) Day address was the latest in a long line to have drawn criticism from Western governments.

"The Zionist regime and the Zionists are a cancerous tumour," he said.

"The nations of the region will soon finish off the usurper Zionists in the Palestinian land.... A new Middle East will definitely be formed. With the grace of God and help of the nations, in the new Middle East there will be no trace of the Americans and Zionists," he said."

http://news.yahoo.com/tumour-israel-soo ... 48418.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

BroncoBot
Retired
Fan Level: BYU Fanatic

Post by BroncoBot »

Ddawg wrote:'Tumour' of Israel will soon be destroyed: Ahmadinejad"

August 17, 2012

Iranian President Mahmoud Ahmadinejad told an annual anti-Israel protest in Tehran on Friday that the Jewish state was a "cancerous tumour" that will soon be excised, drawing Western rebukes.

Washington said Ahmadinejad's statements were "reprehensible", while Paris viewed them as "outrageous."

Ahmadinejad's diatribe against Israel in his Quds (Jerusalem) Day address was the latest in a long line to have drawn criticism from Western governments.

"The nations of the region will soon finish off the usurper Zionists in the Palestinian land.... A new Middle East will definitely be formed. With the grace of God and help of the nations, in the new Middle East there will be no trace of the Americans and Zionists," he said."

http://news.yahoo.com/tumour-israel-soo ... 48418.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
I don't think anyone here agrees with Ahmadinejad. We all know how he feels. But he's not speaking for all of Islam.

CougarClaw
Pro

Post by CougarClaw »

tww wrote: CougarClaw:
Have you never heard of Stockholm syndrome? Have you never heard of the communist indoctrination camps where people come out, if they come out, good communists? The only ones that survive those camps are the ones that turn in their friends. Do you not remember the crew of the Pueblo that told the world that they were having a great time in North Korea? Fortunately the North Koreans hadn't brushed up on their Morse code.
no. I haven't heard of any of these things.
tww wrote:The argument that you make is the same as is made for all forms of extreme oppression, be it Islam, communism, or slavery. We have to be smart enough to realize that hostages with a knife at their throat say whatever they have to say to survive.

I find your statement, "You're understandably trying to apply modern, western standards of acceptance, tolerance and feminism on an ancient nomadic culture where it simply doesn't fit," to be both telling and disturbing. Do you realize that this is exactly the same argument made for upholding slavery?
Not sure I understand this part. Are you arguing that slavers felt they were helping nomadic and tribal Africans by bringing them to civilization? If so, how did that work out for them? clearly applying western standards to other culturals is a failed exercise which is exactly original point. If you meant something else, then I didn't follow.
tww wrote:Oppression is oppression and the more oppressed someone is the more likely they are to tell you that they love being oppressed.
Unfortunately, there are quite a lot of very happy people in Communist China right now. And there are quite a lot of generally happy people in Iran as well. If you try and tell someone they're oppressed, and they disagree with you, what do you recommend is the best course of action?
tww wrote:You also mention the lack of crime in Muslim communities. Yes they don't have much crime and they will tell you that they don't have homosexuality either. Yes their is more crime in an American town. The reason Muslim countries and villages have less crime is because of the way they deal with it not because of higher moral character. We could be crime free here in America too if we beheaded first offenders.
they also don't have the electric chair and lethal injection. Again, goes both ways.
tww wrote:Islam has a long history and is well practiced in psychological oppression and indoctrination.
you've just defined religion as understood by athiests. All religions indoctrinate. that's why it's doctrine. as for psychological repression, Utah unfortunately leads the country in anti-depression medication.
tww wrote:One of the more fiendish practices of ancient Islam was to kidnap Christian children, turn them into cold blooded killers and teach them to hate the Christian people. Then they would send them back to murder their own families.

can't speak to fringe and sensational events I've never heard of. Incidently Mainstream Christianity also has its bunch of loonies that I wouldn't want to be associated with either.
tww wrote: I believe that Islam is one of the groups we were warned about by both Nephi and Christ. The facts are plainly before us if we will see them.
You are entitled to your beliefs. I would invite you to get to know a few Muslims, realize how their religion provides them with deep spirituality that many spring-break, Easter-only Christians lack, understand how much you can actually learn from them. Also remember that all good things come from God as 'warned' in Moroni. and there is plenty of good to be found in a Muslim family.

CougarClaw
Pro

Post by CougarClaw »

Ddawg wrote:
CougarClaw wrote:

And despite learning the radical Islam is not Islam, I continue to hear statements indicting the entire group. That's wrong.

Whaaat? I have "learned" that radical Islam is not Islam? LOL! Who enlightened me? Where did I "learn" that from? Ha ha ha!

Let me fill you in a little bit. When I was getting my history degree I took as many classes as I could on the Middle East. I studied and wrote numerous papers on Islam, the development of Islam. I do not consider myself an expert - but I have studied Islam extensively for years. So, no one has taught me that radical Islam is not Islam. I have never believed that. You are attributing thoughts and beliefs to me that I have never held.

Any statements that you are attributing to me, that I am condemning ALL Muslims is your misunderstanding of any statement I have made. Because I do not believe that. I have never believed that. I have not posted that. I do not espouse that.
for someone claiming that a statement doesn't apply to your way of thinking, you're getting very defensive. If it doesn't apply to you then fine. I'm not on some kind of mission to pin you down. If you already knew that radical Islam was not representative then great.
Ddawg wrote:I still stand by my original statement - it is factual. There are Islamic based nations today that are committed to the complete destruction and annihilation of the Jewish people, based on ethnicity and faith. There is no Christian based nation today, that is committed to the total annihilation of any group of people based on ethnicity and faith.

Read into that statement whatever you want. It is correct and factual.
Does this mean you disagree with my assertion that Israel is attempting the destruction of Palestine and the Palestinian people? And the US, as Israel's primary supporter, weapons dealer and protector it's Christian accomplice?

CougarClaw
Pro

Post by CougarClaw »

BroncoBot wrote:
Ddawg wrote:'Tumour' of Israel will soon be destroyed: Ahmadinejad"

August 17, 2012

I don't think anyone here agrees with Ahmadinejad. We all know how he feels. But he's not speaking for all of Islam.
agreed.
Iran's leader is a sensationalist. He's a politician. He's also brilliant. Especially at getting people furious at foregin enemies in order to hide your own country's shortcomings and problems. Regardless, he's one of the reasons that makes Iran so scary. Hopefully he retires soon or is overthrown. Either way, he's a political and not a religious figure.

CougarClaw
Pro

Post by CougarClaw »

hawkwing wrote:
this video was very interesting for a lot of reasons. It reminded me of the US using 9/11 as an excuse to invade Iraq. Iraq didn't bomb us. But in we went. We had to attack *someone*!

To quote Obama's Rahm Emanuel "you never want a good crisis to go to waste". This Saudi is arguing that the Jew's have been using the Holocaust as international capital to excuse and justify any action (or atrocity) that would not have been permitted most any other international entity. Clearly the holocaust was an unimaginable tragedy otherwise such capital would have been gone 60 years after the fact. 9/11 lost it's luster for us only a few short years later.

The bit about the blood matzos was really strange.

hawkwing
TV Analyst
Fan Level: BYU Blue Goggled Homer

Post by hawkwing »

A great excuse to kill Jews, but don't worry, this guy only has millions and millions of followers, so it's a really "fringe" group. Just like every other group of Muslims in the world that also believe Jews should be annihilated.

But I have to give you props for being so politically correct.

CougarClaw
Pro

Post by CougarClaw »

imuakahuku wrote:
So I am offended by even the suggestion that His church is even remotely like that of the Muslim religion. And anyone trying to claim tolerance and understanding should go to a street corner in Jordan, holding a bible (or BOM) and preach about God's love. Let's see what happens in the name of "tolerance". Understand that on those "Coexist" bumper stickers the letter C wants to pull a "pac-man" on the rest of them and gobble them all up.

What would you do if you caught your muslim neighbor throwing a BOM in the toilet? What we he do if he caught you doing the same to a Qur'an? How many from your EQ or High Priests Quorem would be trying to burn down his house? But if you did it, not only would he claim offense but there would be riots in Europe, Africa, and Asia, and you would end up in hiding.
I don't even know where to start on this one. Your post is filled with mistrust, hate, and anger. My religion doesn't teach that. How are you so convinced of the evil of 1.6 Billion people? It's all about love my friend. Understanding and love. Right now, doesn't sound like this topic generates much of either for you which means we don't have anything to learn from each other.

CougarClaw
Pro

Post by CougarClaw »

hawkwing wrote:A great excuse to kill Jews, but don't worry, this guy only has millions and millions of followers, so it's a really "fringe" group. Just like every other group of Muslims in the world that also believe Jews should be annihilated.

But I have to give you props for being so politically correct.
at no point have I disagreed that many muslims want the jews annihilated. They do. That's bad. I don't need to argue this point since it's pretty common knowledge.

What I do have to argue is the not-so-small detail that the jews are currently annihilating a Muslim nation. They are. Right now.

Islamic anger against the Jews is not completely unjustified. In the video the Saudi refers to Palestine as a kind of concentration camp. Well guess what, the Saudi is right! Palestine has checkpoints. Huge encompassing concrete walls. miles and miles of barbed wire, dogs, jeeps, and watchtowers. Stifling economic crackdowns. 0 foreign trade. blockades, crippling military checkpoints, random imprisonments. police brutality, and the list goes on and on.

Put yourself in their place for even a fraction of a moment and you'd want to "liberate" your brothers in Palestine too. It's an absolute mess. But it's a two-sided mess.

CougarClaw
Pro

Post by CougarClaw »

wow. too much cougarclaw on this page. sorry!