guns. Guns. GUNS!

Feel free to discuss appropriate non-BYU/Sports related topics here. We ask you to respect other users, the Church, avoid soapbox postings, and keep it clean.
BroncoBot
Retired
Fan Level: BYU Fanatic
Prediction Group: CougarCorner

Re: guns. Guns. GUNS!

Post by BroncoBot »

nuk13 wrote:Thanks Bbot for posting Sowell's article. I agree with it. If automatic weapons caused crimes committed with guns, then Switzerland would be one of the leaders in gun crimes in the world. It's as I heard once: a guy got his gun out, loaded it and set it on the table. He watched it for some time and it never did go off. I saw a talk show years ago where the host had T. Selleck on and was attacking him for believing in the 2nd amendment. She opined that the 2nd was written when there were muzzle loaders,but didn't fit today with automatics with high content magazines. My question is: Which is more dangerous, a person with a Browning .50 out shooting old wrecked cars in the desert, or someone with a loaded muzzle loader pointing it at you?

By the way, John Browning was a returned missionary. He firearms not only helped our troops in WWII, but most all the British and American aircraft that brought down the Luftwaffe were employing his guns. He played a huge part in our victory over Japan and Germany.
My wife comes from the Browning line. The Browning gun shop in Nauvoo (which sadly my wife didn't even know about) is my favorite attraction there. Sowell made a great point. It's not the guns that are the problem or certain other countries would have much higher murder/crime rates than ours. Loved his comparison of NY and London crime rates before and after strict gun "control" were enforced.

nuk13
All-American
Fan Level: BYU Fan

Post by nuk13 »

There were cousins (Brownings) to your wife in Montana where I grew up. Gary told me his grandpa Jonathon, the father of John the famous one, invented the cylinder. I told him I thought that Colt had done but he said he'd gotten it from his grandpa. Later a non member fellow confirmed that fact. If you visit the Browning museum in Ogden you'll see a revolver rifle and it is very different from the Colt and Remington models. It is heaver built than either. He also had a slide action rifle that probably could have been very bad medicine for the mobs. That is way before the term "assault rifle" was coined but I doubt there were any better rifles any where in the world in the 1840s. The mobs probably would have whined loudly about them had Brother Joseph and Brother Browning decided to use them.

I loved the Browning blacksmith shop in Navaoo.

imuakahuku
All-American
Fan Level: BYU Blue Goggled Homer

Post by imuakahuku »

One thing to bear in mind is the second ammendment was written to protect the people from a corrupt government in case the people have to "rise" up to re-establish a government for the people and by the people. Many try to teach "regulated" to mean government regulated but that is not what it means. It means a militia of the populace that is trained. And the 2nd ammendment has nothing to do with hunting. So any argument that this gun or that gun is not a hunting weapon is a red herring and a dishonest argument.

We should'nt be debating gun control, we should be debating "gun free zones".

BroncoBot
Retired

Post by BroncoBot »

imuakahuku wrote:One thing to bear in mind is the second ammendment was written to protect the people from a corrupt government in case the people have to "rise" up to re-establish a government for the people and by the people. Many try to teach "regulated" to mean government regulated but that is not what it means. It means a militia of the populace that is trained. And the 2nd ammendment has nothing to do with hunting. So any argument that this gun or that gun is not a hunting weapon is a red herring and a dishonest argument.

"gun free zone"- so criminals know exactly where to attack?

Mars
Retired

Post by Mars »

BroncoBot wrote:
imuakahuku wrote: We should'nt be debating gun control, we should be debating "gun free zones".
There some places where it's never a good idea for law abiding citizens to have guns, like high schools, colleges, and movie theatres. Oh wait...

Mars Cauthon, Prince of the Cougars!
Resident board douchebag.
https://twitter.com/#!/eldermars
scott715
TV Analyst

Post by scott715 »

Prisom is gun free for citizens.

BroncoBot
Retired

Post by BroncoBot »

Mars wrote:
BroncoBot wrote:
imuakahuku wrote: We should'nt be debating gun control, we should be debating "gun free zones".
There some places where it's never a good idea for law abiding citizens to have guns, like high schools, colleges, and movie theatres. Oh wait...
I always chuckled when I walked into the cafeteria at a hospital I just did a rotation at. It had a sticker on the door that said "NO WEAPONS ALLOWED!". I always felt so safe [insert sarcasm] after reading that and walking in.

nuk13
All-American
Fan Level: BYU Fan

Post by nuk13 »

imuakahuku wrote:One thing to bear in mind is the second ammendment was written to protect the people from a corrupt government in case the people have to "rise" up to re-establish a government for the people and by the people. Many try to teach "regulated" to mean government regulated but that is not what it means. It means a militia of the populace that is trained. And the 2nd ammendment has nothing to do with hunting. So any argument that this gun or that gun is not a hunting weapon is a red herring and a dishonest argument.

Imuak, that is one of the best statements I have read on the 2nd amendment. I have to say tho, that there's a great deal of red herring swimming around.