NBC on the Church

Feel free to discuss appropriate non-BYU/Sports related topics here. We ask you to respect other users, the Church, avoid soapbox postings, and keep it clean.
BoiseBYU
All Star
Fan Level: BYU Fan
Prediction Group: CougarCorner

NBC on the Church

Post by BoiseBYU »

Asking Disaffected Abby Huntsman about the Church and what it stands for is like asking Harry Reid what he thinks of Mitt Romney.

BroncoBot
Retired
Fan Level: BYU Fanatic

Re: NBC on the Church

Post by BroncoBot »

who is abby huntsman?

BoiseBYU
All Star

Post by BoiseBYU »

BroncoBot wrote:who is abby huntsman?
She is one of Jon Huntsman's daughters. She has left the church and yet NBC was asking her of all people various questions about the church and it's practices.

urroner
Heisman Winner
Fan Level: BYU Blue Goggled Homer

Post by urroner »

If you were doing a documentation of a subject and you were a disinterested party, which I don't think NBC is, wouldn't you try to get several POVs? I have found out that, kind of like Brigham Young said, if you kick us, you will only kick up more upstairs.

CBS came out years ago with several hit pieces on the Church, I believe it was on 60 Minutes, and it made the Church look really terrible. This was during the ERA era. The Church usually just lets stuff like that go, but it went and talked to CBS about it. Mike Wallace, IIRC, said that there were several problems with the CBS version of the Church, corrected it, and then he went on to do several interviews over the years with some GAs and put the Church in a much better light.

Even though I didn't like his positions quite often on politics, I feel that he was an honest man and that is what really counts in this life. He tried doing things for the right reason. I know several Mormons who are active and I agree with their politics, but I have little respect for them because they do the right things for the wrong reasons.

Where the hell am I going and why am I in this handbasket?
SpiffCoug
TV Analyst

Post by SpiffCoug »

All in all, it wasn't that bad of a news hour.

The only part I really had issue with was showing the garments actually being worn. Why show actual people wearing them. And then asking if you could ask a Mormon to see them.

Why would you ask to see someone's underwear? I could see maybe showing them the hem of my top, but I certainly wouldn't start stripping.

BYU PER W/L Since 1972: 432-76 (.850)
(8.4x
YDS)+(330xTD)+(100xCOM)-(200xINT)
..................ATT
SpiffCoug's posts are BB-8 approved!
BoiseBYU
All Star

Post by BoiseBYU »

urroner wrote:If you were doing a documentation of a subject and you were a disinterested party, which I don't think NBC is, wouldn't you try to get several POVs? I have found out that, kind of like Brigham Young said, if you kick us, you will only kick up more upstairs.

CBS came out years ago with several hit pieces on the Church, I believe it was on 60 Minutes, and it made the Church look really terrible. This was during the ERA era. The Church usually just lets stuff like that go, but it went and talked to CBS about it. Mike Wallace, IIRC, said that there were several problems with the CBS version of the Church, corrected it, and then he went on to do several interviews over the years with some GAs and put the Church in a much better light.

Even though I didn't like his positions quite often on politics, I feel that he was an honest man and that is what really counts in this life. He tried doing things for the right reason. I know several Mormons who are active and I agree with their politics, but I have little respect for them because they do the right things for the wrong reasons.
I agree about Huntsman. My humble point was it is very odd in my book for NBC to choose to talk to a disaffected Mormon (Ms Huntsman) about the temple, where the church is going etc. there are so many other options from people without apparent agendas....all in all the show was ok. I'd give it a B-

urroner
Heisman Winner
Fan Level: BYU Blue Goggled Homer

Post by urroner »

BoiseBYU wrote:...My humble point was it is very odd in my book for NBC to choose to talk to a disaffected Mormon (Ms Huntsman) about the temple, where the church is going etc. there are so many other options from people without apparent agendas....all in all the show was ok. I'd give it a B-
I didn't find it odd nor did several commentators on FNC. They asked each other why, if NBC thought it was so important to do a commentary on the presidential candidate for the Republicans, why didn't they do one also on Obama's religion.

It was later mentioned that the percentage of the Washington MSM, in a recent poll,which voted for Obama in the last election was over 95%.

No BoiseBYU, I don't find it odd, but I do find it rather sad.

Where the hell am I going and why am I in this handbasket?
Ddawg
All Star

Post by Ddawg »

SpiffCoug wrote:
Why would you ask to see someone's underwear?
Wanna see mine? :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: ;) :whistle:

snoscythe
Retired

Post by snoscythe »

In a meeting today with Elder Perry and Bishop Stevenson, Elder Perry said he thinks one mistake the Church has made in the past is that it has been too secretive. He said that someday in the future, maybe soon, we'll see the Church start releasing annual balance sheets and the like.

I'm guessing we won't see any before November 6th though. ;)

Ddawg
All Star

Post by Ddawg »

I watched to NBC special on "Mormonism" closely. I admit, before it started, I turned and said to the wife - "Get ready for another hit piece." I was actually surprised at the overall fairness of the show.

Now, was I satisfied with everything in the show? No. It wasn't so much the NBC folks. My greatest disappointment was in Abby Huntsman. Some of her answers, and some of her attitudes. I won't go into detail here - but - I was disappointed in her.

The whole deal about NBC showing the garments - I get. To us, they are sacred, and have powerful meaning. It is very intrusive to show our sacred garments to the world. We feel violated - because we are. That said, NBC does not think they are sacred. They are "novel" and quirky to them. Something to be curious, and even joke about. They have no respect for what they stand for. So, I was disappointed, but not surprised at their decision to show them.

Although NBC was trying to give the air of "impartiality and fairness", they are not. They are part of, and deeply enmeshed in the Liberal Elite, and the "Hollywood" leftist world. Considering that, I was shocked they were as fair to the LDS faith as they were.

Was the "Mormonism" special perfect? No. Was it pretty darn fair considering who the players were? Yes.