NBC on the Church

Feel free to discuss appropriate non-BYU/Sports related topics here. We ask you to respect other users, the Church, avoid soapbox postings, and keep it clean.
0
0

Re: NBC on the Church

Postby BYULV » Sun Aug 26, 2012 1:14 am

It would have been nice to see them mention the circumstances surrounding the first vision during their "Mormonism 101". Joseph Smith seeing and speaking to God the Father and Jesus Christ is Mormonism 101. The angel moroni's visit, the gold plates and book of Mormon are secondary to that. They showed the first visit, but talked about the angel Moroni during that scene. Shoulda done a little better research, or at least asked an active Mormon.
User avatar
BYULV
All-American
 
Posts: 1590
Positive Score: 9
Negative Score: 0
Joined: Fri Nov 20, 2009 1:59 am
Fan Level: BYU Fanatic
Prediction Group: CougarCorner
+1 by:

0
0

Re: NBC on the Church

Postby tripwire » Sun Aug 26, 2012 4:03 pm

BoiseBYU wrote:Asking Disaffected Abby Huntsman about the Church and what it stands for is like asking Harry Reid what he thinks of Mitt Romney.

Yes of course she has an agenda, but so does every believing Mormon and they talked to plenty of them. Do you really expect them to only speak to active believing members and ignore any critics or controversy? That would be terrible journalism.
tripwire
Sophomore
 
Posts: 482
Positive Score: 0
Negative Score: 0
Joined: Wed Nov 18, 2009 9:29 pm
Fan Level: BYU Fanatic
Prediction Group: CougarCorner
+1 by:

0
0

Re: NBC on the Church

Postby urroner » Sun Aug 26, 2012 4:44 pm

tripwire wrote:Do you really expect them to only speak to active believing members and ignore any critics or controversy? That would be even worse journalism than is NBC's wont.


Dude, NBC is terrible journalism, so I took the opportunity to fix your statement to say what you really meant to say. No need to thank me. Just knowing that you rejoice in my correction is payment enough. Just keeping your back secure Trip.
Where the hell am I going and why am I in this handbasket?
User avatar
urroner
Heisman Winner
 
Posts: 2447
Positive Score: 1
Negative Score: 0
Images: 0
Joined: Sat Oct 24, 2009 12:40 pm
Fan Level: BYU Blue Goggled Homer
Prediction Group: CougarCorner
+1 by:

0
0

Re: NBC on the Church

Postby tripwire » Sun Aug 26, 2012 5:00 pm

urroner wrote:
tripwire wrote:Do you really expect them to only speak to active believing members and ignore any critics or controversy? That would be even worse journalism than is NBC's wont.


Dude, NBC is terrible journalism, so I took the opportunity to fix your statement to say what you really meant to say. No need to thank me. Just knowing that you rejoice in my correction is payment enough. Just keeping your back secure Trip.

I think I know what I meant to say. I don't need anybody fixing my words for me, but thanks anyway.
tripwire
Sophomore
 
Posts: 482
Positive Score: 0
Negative Score: 0
Joined: Wed Nov 18, 2009 9:29 pm
Fan Level: BYU Fanatic
Prediction Group: CougarCorner
+1 by:

0
0

Re: NBC on the Church

Postby urroner » Sun Aug 26, 2012 6:02 pm

tripwire wrote:
urroner wrote:
tripwire wrote:Do you really expect them to only speak to active believing members and ignore any critics or controversy? That would be even worse journalism than is NBC's wont.


Dude, NBC is terrible journalism, so I took the opportunity to fix your statement to say what you really meant to say. No need to thank me. Just knowing that you rejoice in my correction is payment enough. Just keeping your back secure Trip.

I think I know what I meant to say. I don't need anybody fixing my words for me, but thanks anyway.


Any time Trip.
Where the hell am I going and why am I in this handbasket?
User avatar
urroner
Heisman Winner
 
Posts: 2447
Positive Score: 1
Negative Score: 0
Images: 0
Joined: Sat Oct 24, 2009 12:40 pm
Fan Level: BYU Blue Goggled Homer
Prediction Group: CougarCorner
+1 by:

0
0

Re: NBC on the Church

Postby CougarClaw » Sun Aug 26, 2012 6:41 pm

I didn't see it. But if you do a news story, you get two sides. the love it group, and the critics. You show both sides.

So does Ms. Huntsman qualify as a critic? or just an odd interview choice?
User avatar
CougarClaw
Pro
 
Posts: 3197
Positive Score: 0
Negative Score: 0
Joined: Mon Oct 26, 2009 9:37 am
Fan Level: BYU Fanatic
Prediction Group: CougarCorner
+1 by:

0
0

Re: NBC on the Church

Postby HoosierCougar » Sun Aug 26, 2012 9:28 pm

I was out of town, but my wife kept texting me updates:
"Bitter ex's: always a good source of objective insight"
"Brian Williams just told me that, in my religion, I am not equal to you"

I just watched the DVR version and had a couple thoughts:
Abby Huntsman was odd to me, not particularly well informed on some issues, but probably a good choice for NBC (and a better choice than the guy who wrote "Milk" would have been.)

When asked about garments, I always say something like "they are sacred undergarments to remind me of the covenants I have made and the promises God has for me".

My wife pointed out that maybe our answer should be a little more elementary. We should tell people that the women's garments look like a camisole and the pants are like bike shorts. Men's are like t-shirts and boxer-briefs, just a bit longer. They come in different styles and fabrics so you can choose what you like or what fits best under a given outfit. Then go into the purpose if they want to know more.
User avatar
HoosierCougar
Sophomore
 
Posts: 594
Positive Score: 1
Negative Score: 0
Joined: Sun Oct 18, 2009 12:17 pm
Fan Level: BYU Fanatic
Prediction Group: CougarCorner
+1 by:

0
0

Re: NBC on the Church

Postby Ddawg » Mon Aug 27, 2012 4:46 pm

HoosierCougar wrote:
I just watched the DVR version and had a couple thoughts:
Abby Huntsman was odd to me, not particularly well informed on some issues ...



+1. Bingo!! But, Abby served NBC well.
User avatar
Ddawg
Pro
 
Posts: 3621
Positive Score: 6
Negative Score: 0
Joined: Sun Oct 25, 2009 8:24 pm
Fan Level: BYU Fan
Prediction Group: CougarCorner
+1 by:

0
0

Re: NBC on the Church

Postby BYULV » Thu Aug 30, 2012 12:21 am

CougarClaw wrote:I didn't see it. But if you do a news story, you get two sides. the love it group, and the critics. You show both sides.

So does Ms. Huntsman qualify as a critic? or just an odd interview choice?


Except this isn't "news", more op Ed or infomercial. If it was meant as a news story you want all angles. if you want to inform and educate you should get the most credible/knowledgable sources available. Huntsman was an odd choice because she was far from an expert on Mormonism, nor was she anti-Mormon. If NBC wanted to inform people about what Mormons are in America they should have done an interview with Harry Ried, the most prominent American Mormon right now. Only problem with doing that is it takes away the democrats' ability to paint Mormonism as strange and far from normal American life. It would immediately cease to be a campaign issue this year.
User avatar
BYULV
All-American
 
Posts: 1590
Positive Score: 9
Negative Score: 0
Joined: Fri Nov 20, 2009 1:59 am
Fan Level: BYU Fanatic
Prediction Group: CougarCorner
+1 by:

0
0

Re: NBC on the Church

Postby Mars » Thu Aug 30, 2012 12:59 pm

BYULV wrote: If NBC wanted to inform people about what Mormons are in America they should have done an interview with Harry Ried, the most prominent American Mormon right now.

:sick: :sick: :sick:
Mars al'Thor, The Cougar Reborn!
Resident board douchebag.
https://twitter.com/#!/eldermars
User avatar
Mars
Retired
 
Posts: 7990
Positive Score: 0
Negative Score: 0
Joined: Wed Aug 06, 2008 5:13 pm
Fan Level: BYU Fanatic
Prediction Group: CougarCorner
+1 by:

PreviousNext

Return to The Lounge

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests


  • Next Football Game

Savannah State:

weeks
0
0
days
0
0
hours
0
0
mins
0
0
secs
0
0
Channel: BYUtv Kickoff: 11/22 13:00 MST
Location: LaVell Edwards Stadium
  • Next Basketball Game

San Diego St:

weeks
0
0
days
0
0
hours
0
0
mins
0
0
secs
0
0
Channel: ESPN2 Tipoff: 11/24 22:30 MST
Location: Lahaina, HI
  • Support CougarCorner

Don't want to see these ads? Sign in or Register!

  • Register
  • Login
    • CougarCorner Man Updates
    • CougarCorner News Bites
    • CougarCorner Prediction Game

    Next FB Game

    Opponent: Savannah State
    Location: LaVell Edwards Stadium
    Date: Nov 22, 13:00

    Enter Your Predictions

    Average Predictions

    QuestionPrediction
    BYU Score61
    Savannah State Score6
    More Turn OversSavannah State
    BYU Pass Yards341
    BYU Rush Yards301
    Savannah State Pass Yards136
    Savannah State Rush Yards57
    More Field GoalsBYU
    More TDsBYU
    More SacksBYU

    Previous FB Game

    Predictions v Results

    QuestionPredictionActual
    BYU Score3542
    UNLV Score1823
    More Turn OversUNLVBYU
    BYU Pass Yards284325
    BYU Rush Yards177267
    UNLV Pass Yards235204
    UNLV Rush Yards97199
    More Field GoalsUNLVUNLV
    More TDsBYUBYU
    More SacksBYUBYU

    Next BBall

    Opponent: San Diego St
    Location: Lahaina, HI
    Date: Nov 24, 22:30

    Enter Your Predictions

    Average Predictions

    QuestionPrediction
    BYU Score
    San Diego St Score
    More Turn Overs
    BYU FG %
    BYU 3pt %
    San Diego St FG %
    San Diego St 3pt %
    More Free Throws
    More 3 Pointers
    More Blocks
    BYU Scoring Ldr
    BYU Assist Ldr
    BYU Rebounds Ldr
    BYU Steals Ldr

    Previous BBall

    Place Holder for Prev Basketball Game

    cron