The disease is spreading!

Feel free to discuss appropriate non-BYU/Sports related topics here. We ask you to respect other users, the Church, avoid soapbox postings, and keep it clean.
IowaCougar
Junior
Fan Level: BYU Fan
Prediction Group: CougarCorner

The disease is spreading!

Post by IowaCougar »

I gnash my teeth a lot at the bad spelling in the forum, but understand that sometimes it's just typo-issues, and other times it's just thinking faster than one can type. But one of the most annoying spelling mistakes is when people spell the word "lose" as "loose". Now it's spreading to the professional media. Wo is me!
http://www.deseretnews.com/article/8655 ... -line.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
:sulk:

hawkwing
TV Analyst
Fan Level: BYU Blue Goggled Homer

Re: The disease is spreading!

Post by hawkwing »

I don't think you can consider it professional media any more when the "columnist's" name is 'Blaze.'

I really don't like this trend the Deseret News has bought into in having just any every day shlub writing articles and apparently posting them without any editorial review.

IowaCougar
Junior

Post by IowaCougar »

OK - here's another one that is spreading like wildfire. I'm seeing it constantly by those who should know better:

Does anyone know the difference between "less" and "fewer" anymore? There seem to be fewer and fewer individuals who do, and their example is less inspiring than it used to be. (By the way, it is "used to", not "use to").

My wife told my I was grumpy teaching Seminary this morning. Maybe I'm less tolerant when I'm tired. ;)

hawkwing
TV Analyst

Post by hawkwing »

IowaCougar wrote:OK - here's another one that is spreading like wildfire. I'm seeing it constantly by those who should know better:

Does anyone know the difference between "less" and "fewer" anymore? There seem to be fewer and fewer individuals who do, and their example is less inspiring than it used to be. (By the way, it is "used to", not "use to").

My wife told my I was grumpy teaching Seminary this morning. Maybe I'm less tolerant when I'm tired. ;)
Anyone who listens to the radio in Utah should know the difference between less and fewer. There's a Challenger School add that talks about it on the radio all the time.

tww
Sophomore

Post by tww »

How about using "of" in the place of "have," i.e., I would of gone if I had the time.

Ddawg
All Star

Post by Ddawg »

IowaCougar wrote:I gnash my teeth a lot at the bad spelling in the forum, but understand that sometimes it's just typo-issues, and other times it's just thinking faster than one can type. But one of the most annoying spelling mistakes is when people spell the word "lose" as "loose". Now it's spreading to the professional media. Wo is me!
http://www.deseretnews.com/article/8655 ... -line.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
:sulk:
All-right Iowa Cougar. Now yoo've dun it - yoo've pissed me off a bunch. Drawing atention us folkz that can't spell nuthin' for nuthin'.

Send me yer home address so I can come over and write durty wurds in yer lawn with salt. That'll teach ya.

P.S. It'll bee a long drive. Kan I sleep the nite on yer couch?
;) :lol:
Last edited by Ddawg on Mon Oct 08, 2012 5:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Metal Bubba
Sophomore

Post by Metal Bubba »

When you die, if you go somewhere where they ask you a bunch of questions about your life and what you learned and all, I think a good way to get out of it is just to say, "No habla ingles." ~ Jack Handey
HoosierCougar
Junior
Fan Level: BYU Fanatic

Post by HoosierCougar »

tww wrote:How about using "of" in the place of "have," i.e., I would of gone if I had the time.

I got 2 emails in one day from people in my company using "of" instead of "have".

I should of included this...
I could of pursued the option...

I posted it on Facebook and I had a few (less than 5) people tell me I was likely in the wrong!

Woe is me!

Schmoe
Retired

Post by Schmoe »

tww wrote:How about using "of" in the place of "have," i.e., I would of gone if I had the time.
Much like a steering wheel in the crotch, this one drives me nuts!

I'm just a regular, everyday normal guy,
I can't afford a car, I use public transportation,
I don't mind, I read till I reach my destination,
sometimes a newspaper, sometimes a book,
the money I save, this stuff is off the hook,
snoscythe
Retired

Post by snoscythe »

I think you meant to use e.g. (as long as we are talking about grammar and usage peeves).

Also--if the "of" instead of "'ve" is a pet peeve, do not, under any circumstance whatsoever, read the book "One Second After" by William R. Forstchen. He makes that mistake a few times every page and it will drive you batty if you're peevish about it. Otherwise a great book, but that (and the fact that everything in the plot seems to takes place via conversation) made me want to quit halfway through.