Would you sustain Harry Reid

Feel free to discuss appropriate non-BYU/Sports related topics here. We ask you to respect other users, the Church, avoid soapbox postings, and keep it clean.
mizzoucoug
Pro
Fan Level: BYU Fan
Prediction Group: CougarCorner

Would you sustain Harry Reid

Post by mizzoucoug »

as your bishop?

I would wholeheartedly reject this man as I could never looks past the blatant dishonesty and corruption by which he has made his millions in his infamous career. To me Harry Reid is simply the Mormon version of Ted Kennedy. Both would serve the country better by not existing.

(I meant to post this right after the "Mitt Romney doesn't pay his taxes" BS diatribe, but couldn't get into politics for a while after that farce of an election. Now is as good as any day I guess.)

Schmoe
Retired
Fan Level: BYU Fanatic

Re: Would you sustain Harry Reid

Post by Schmoe »

If I were in said situation, I would have to pray about it long and hard. Even if I think the guy is a scuz, I don't know him personally and don't know the in's and out's of his life. If the Lord confirmed to me that he was the guy for the calling, that would be good enough for me (however tough it would be for me to accept it).

I'm just a regular, everyday normal guy,
I can't afford a car, I use public transportation,
I don't mind, I read till I reach my destination,
sometimes a newspaper, sometimes a book,
the money I save, this stuff is off the hook,
scott715
TV Analyst

Post by scott715 »

Lets hope it never happens.

[ Post made via Mobile Device ] Image

BoiseBYU
All Star

Post by BoiseBYU »

If that were to happen, it means a stake president and stake presidency, after prayer believed they received the inspiration and revelation to call him. So to not sustain him means you know more than these men, with the keys granted, to issue that call. That puts you in a tough spot. Do stake presidents make mistakes? Of course. But I'd not think right out of the block that I know more than what the Lord and His servants know. BTW, my son was in Sen. Reid's ward in DC for several years and Sen Reid attended church every week with his secret service detail. Said the senator was very humble. My other child went to the BYU devotional where Sen Reid was invited to speak and said it was faith promoting FWIW. Not trying to change anyone's mind, just thought I'd pass along.

hawkwing
TV Analyst
Fan Level: BYU Blue Goggled Homer

Post by hawkwing »

I have always said that some leaders are called to guide and help us while others are called to test our faith and patience.

SpiffCoug
TV Analyst

Post by SpiffCoug »

I would have a very difficult time sustaining him.

But Boise brings up some great points.

I'm guessing he would not be called as a church leader while serving as a Senator.

BYU PER W/L Since 1972: 432-76 (.850)
(8.4x
YDS)+(330xTD)+(100xCOM)-(200xINT)
..................ATT
SpiffCoug's posts are BB-8 approved!
nuk13
All-American

Post by nuk13 »

I have heard he made deals the rest of us couldn't make. If that is true I wonder how he answers the questions about being honest in his dealings with his fellow men? Also, I don't think being humble or acting humble negates dishonesty. Another question I have is how does he reconcile taking citizens agency with what we know of what the Savior advocated in the war in heaven.

My cousin claims that there are people that leave the temple when Reid shows up. On the the other hand my friend says we should be able to have hearts big enough to accept people like him. I don't know what I'd do. If I had to face sustaining him I would also pray and perhaps talk to those who made the call to make known my concerns. I am grateful I don't live in his ward. If I lived in his state I would not vote for him

scott715
TV Analyst

Post by scott715 »

Aanother issue is that Bishops are approved by SLC before they are called.

snoscythe
Retired

Post by snoscythe »

As a bishop? If it came to that, yeah, I probably would. I might raise my hand in opposition and take the opportunity to discuss my concerns with the Stake President, but if after that discussion they presented him again, I would likely sustain. Bishops have limited influence on my own progression, so it wouldn't give me heartburn, and my sustaining would be limited to his responsibilities and actions in his capacity as a bishop, not anything outside of that realm.

mizzoucoug
Pro

Post by mizzoucoug »

snoscythe wrote:As a bishop? If it came to that, yeah, I probably would. I might raise my hand in opposition and take the opportunity to discuss my concerns with the Stake President, but if after that discussion they presented him again, I would likely sustain. Bishops have limited influence on my own progression, so it wouldn't give me heartburn, and my sustaining would be limited to his responsibilities and actions in his capacity as a bishop, not anything outside of that realm.
Very good point Sno, however, he does run the ward and the way I see it if you don't sustain your bishop you're not really part of the ward. I don't know. I've always loved my bishops but some are weirder, or more outgoing, and of course some are better leaders than others. And no, that has not affected my salvation one bit.

However, no matter my experience with a given bishop, I still respected and looked up to them as honorable men with a difficult calling. I don't believe there is a chance in the world that I could ever look at or deal with Harry Reid and have anything but thoughts of disgust and perhaps even hatred toward him. He is a miserable devil.