If you knew

Feel free to discuss appropriate non-BYU/Sports related topics here. We ask you to respect other users, the Church, avoid soapbox postings, and keep it clean.
stuckinbig10country
Heisman Winner
Fan Level: BYU Fanatic
Prediction Group: CougarCorner

If you knew

Post by stuckinbig10country »

that someone on your team, in your locker room, was gay, would you have acted any differently than you did?

I phrase it as if you knew, because I will almost guarantee you that you've been in a locker room with someone who is gay before (or at a boy scout camp, or at a sleep over, etc).

snoscythe
Retired

Re: If you knew

Post by snoscythe »

Yep.

stuckinbig10country
Heisman Winner

Post by stuckinbig10country »

I say no, because I've generally been a very private person when it comes to dressing/locker rooms. I'm pretty sure it's different for everyone.

BroncoBot
Retired

Post by BroncoBot »

Absolutely.

And if you were the private type in the locker room, as was I, wouldn't that make you put up your guard even more when that person was around. I find it hard to believe that you wouldn't act differently.

Mingjai
All-American

Post by Mingjai »

Probably not for me.

From high school onward, I always assumed someone the locker room was gay, and even then, that didn't change my behavior. But I've never really been one who cares about who sees what...

hawkwing
TV Analyst
Fan Level: BYU Blue Goggled Homer

Post by hawkwing »

Would you care if your daughter's high school started allowing the boys to shower with the girls in their locker room?

jvquarterback
Heisman Winner
Fan Level: BYU Fan

Post by jvquarterback »

Yes. Anyone who says differently is full of it.

There was a homosexual kid at my school and I never had PE with him but from what I heard nobody would change near him in the locker room and I wouldn't expect anything different today.

Hawk makes a good point. The purpose of separate male and female locker rooms is to make kids feel more comfortable (actually studies show kids that go to same gender schools perform much better academically as well but that's a different topic).

If ye love the tranquility of servitude better than the contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.
Sam Adams
tww
Sophomore

Post by tww »

I am pretty sure this scenario would not have happened in my school. If anyone was openly gay they would not have dared enter a team locker room. At least not a second time. We had a couple of gay teachers but they never got anywhere near a locker room.

JV, I don't think that "comfort" has anything to do with the reason that boys aren't allowed to shower with girls.

[ Post made via Mobile Device ] Image
Last edited by tww on Wed Feb 12, 2014 12:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

snoscythe
Retired

Post by snoscythe »

I don't know that I'd act any differently, but there were a lot of word/pejoratives/put-downs that weren't uncommon in the 90s that I wouldn't use today.

ChiTownCOUG
Freshman

Post by ChiTownCOUG »

hawkwing wrote:Would you care if your daughter's high school started allowing the boys to shower with the girls in their locker room?
That's some real truth for you right there..What will they do if nfl players be like umm iam gonna change in the cheerleaders locker room from now on...