What did you miss out on during your mission?

Feel free to discuss appropriate non-BYU/Sports related topics here. We ask you to respect other users, the Church, avoid soapbox postings, and keep it clean.
mizzoucoug
Pro
Fan Level: BYU Fan
Prediction Group: CougarCorner

What did you miss out on during your mission?

Post by mizzoucoug »

I love hearing stories about what missionaries--especially those who served overseas in poor places--missed out on during their time away.

In my case there were 2 things. Cell phones were pretty much non-existent when I left in 2000, and I only saw a couple where I served in Eastern Europe. But when I got home and on campus at BYU, the first thing I noticed was that everyone jumped on their cell phone the second they left class and stayed on it until they reached their next destination. I couldn't help but think wtf is so important that everyone is now incapable of smiling and saying hi to the people who, y'know, are right there in front of you? Anyway, I missed the cell phone craze I guess and on some level DVD's and CD's. I remember coming home and really hoping that I could get a car with a CD player in it!

I also missed 9/11. Some lady we were teaching mentioned something about someone blowing up some buildings in America. We had no clue what that meant until we got a call from the mission president about it that evening. I couldn't believe what I was hearing--even though I had no idea what the Trade Towers were to be honest. But it wasn't even until the next morning that we got to see what actually happened. Sometimes I feel like I was the last person to know that 9/11 took place. :)

billbillbillbill
BLUEshirt
Fan Level: BYU Fanatic

Re: What did you miss out on during your mission?

Post by billbillbillbill »

From the BYU football side, being a missionary from 2002-2004 was interesting. I left aft er the 14-1 season adn came home to watch BYU knock off Notre Dame. As for changes around me, I think wifi being available on campus was the biggest thing. I used my first DVD in a church library after they sent us the movie Joy to the World to hand out. I got home and got married to a girl with a huge dvd collection so I guess I must have been hiding under a rock before my mission!

SpiffCoug
TV Analyst

Post by SpiffCoug »

I went into the MTC the Wednesday before the BYU Texas A&M game. Missed all of the 14-1 football season. But also missed the 1-25 basketball season. I missed the re-release of the star wars movies, so I've still never them on the big screen.

BYU PER W/L Since 1972: 432-76 (.850)
(8.4x
YDS)+(330xTD)+(100xCOM)-(200xINT)
..................ATT
SpiffCoug's posts are BB-8 approved!
mizzoucoug
Pro

Post by mizzoucoug »

SpiffCoug wrote:I went into the MTC the Wednesday before the BYU Texas A&M game. Missed all of the 14-1 football season. But also missed the 1-25 basketball season. I missed the re-release of the star wars movies, so I've still never them on the big screen.
LOL. You didn't miss anything. That actually reminds me. When I got home Attack of the Clones had just come out and I really wanted to see it. My dad said "You might give Fellowship of the Ring a look too." "Ok, whatever." I said. Wow were my priorities screwed up at the time. AOC was crap and Fellowship absolutely blew me away as it still does today.

Mars
Retired

Post by Mars »

I also missed 9/11. And though I've studied it quite extensively, I haven't watched any video of it.

Mars Cauthon, Prince of the Cougars!
Resident board douchebag.
https://twitter.com/#!/eldermars
snoscythe
Retired

Post by snoscythe »

I served April 2000-2002, so I missed the same events. Watched the towers fall in the electronics department of a corner market. Came home to find out my 100's of dollars of investments in minidisc equipment was worthless thanks to Steve Jobs.

hawkwing
TV Analyst
Fan Level: BYU Blue Goggled Homer

Post by hawkwing »

Ahh, I remember selling minidiscs at Media Play. What great little contraptions that never caught on.

snoscythe
Retired

Post by snoscythe »

hawkwing wrote:Ahh, I remember selling minidiscs at Media Play. What great little contraptions that never caught on.
They were awesome compared to CDs (anyone remember trying to make an mp3 CD that actually worked???).....but dinosaurs next to an MP3 player.

Schmoe
Retired

Post by Schmoe »

I was out '03-'05. I was in the MTC in Provo for the ice-bowl shutout rivalry game, and I guess I missed a couple seasons of bad football and mediocre basketball. Not a whole lot.

I'm just a regular, everyday normal guy,
I can't afford a car, I use public transportation,
I don't mind, I read till I reach my destination,
sometimes a newspaper, sometimes a book,
the money I save, this stuff is off the hook,
Metal Bubba
Sophomore

Post by Metal Bubba »

Both the rise and fall of Milli Vanilli occurred while I was on my mission.

:bug:

[ Post made via Mobile Device ] Image

When you die, if you go somewhere where they ask you a bunch of questions about your life and what you learned and all, I think a good way to get out of it is just to say, "No habla ingles." ~ Jack Handey