What did you miss out on during your mission?

Feel free to discuss appropriate non-BYU/Sports related topics here. We ask you to respect other users, the Church, avoid soapbox postings, and keep it clean.
snoscythe
Retired
Fan Level: BYU Fanatic
Prediction Group: CougarCorner

Re: What did you miss out on during your mission?

Post by snoscythe »

BYUROCKS wrote:And now I've fallen in love with Imagine Dragons.
I remember watching a lame movie ("Corky Romano") on DVD a couple of weeks after I got home, and it had this cool song in it that I went to the trouble of running down on Kazaa and burning on a disc so I could share it with my buddies the next day on our way to Cincy for a Reds game.

I got mocked relentlessly because, evidently, "Kryptonite" by Three Doors Down had run it's course and been relegated to the trash-heap of overplayed songs 6 months before I got home, and here I thought I had found an obscure indy band or something.

Schmoe
Retired

Post by Schmoe »

Oh, I almost forgot, I did miss Napoleon Dynamite. About a year into my mission, all the new elders were quoting it and we had no idea what the heck it was. It turned out that Jared Hess's cousin was in my mission, and he explained what it was and that his cousin was working on a Mexican wrestling movie with Jack Black. I had forgotten all about that when, a year after my mission had ended, Nacho Libre hit the big screen.

I'm just a regular, everyday normal guy,
I can't afford a car, I use public transportation,
I don't mind, I read till I reach my destination,
sometimes a newspaper, sometimes a book,
the money I save, this stuff is off the hook,
ABYUFAN
Pro
Fan Level: BYU Blue Goggled Homer

Post by ABYUFAN »

snoscythe wrote:
BYUROCKS wrote:And now I've fallen in love with Imagine Dragons.
I remember watching a lame movie ("Corky Romano") on DVD a couple of weeks after I got home, and it had this cool song in it that I went to the trouble of running down on Kazaa and burning on a disc so I could share it with my buddies the next day on our way to Cincy for a Reds game.

I got mocked relentlessly because, evidently, "Kryptonite" by Three Doors Down had run it's course and been relegated to the trash-heap of overplayed songs 6 months before I got home, and here I thought I had found an obscure indy band or something.
...and yet some 12 or something years later I'll still turn up the radio when it comes on. It's on a regular rotation on my Pandora as well. Their best song by a mile

scott715
TV Analyst

Post by scott715 »

ABYUFAN
Pro
Fan Level: BYU Blue Goggled Homer

Post by ABYUFAN »

scott715 wrote:
I forgot to mention that the video is as good as the song (much like imagine dragons radioactive and barenaked ladies odds are)

[ Post made via Mobile Device ] Image

BYUROCKS
Junior
Fan Level: BYU Fan

Post by BYUROCKS »

Oh and someone told me that the BCS is no more, so I missed the death of the BcS.

Stirfry
All-American
Fan Level: BYU Fan

Post by Stirfry »

2001-2003 So I missed 9/11 (but was state side so not really), Doman/Staley go undefeated until they got passed over by the BCS and the Olympics. Living in SLC my whole driving life was under the cloud called the 2002 Olympics. I remember driving a Ford Expedition down the "bobsled" that was I-15 for work when I was 16. I thought I was going to die. Then the day I left the MTC for the airport was the day the completed I-15 opened on all lanes just to mock me. :sick:

Finally figured out how to get the Rich Rod quote off my signature that randomly showed up! Sorry if you thought I stole it from you……..whoever it was that used to have it
SpoCoug
Recruit

Post by SpoCoug »

84-86.

I missed the national championship. I saw us beat Pitt but that was it. My sister sent me a bunch of NC paraphernalia so that was cool. About a year into my mission someone got a hold of a VHS of the Holiday Bowl against Michigan and somehow a few of us got to watch it.

stuckinbig10country
Heisman Winner

Post by stuckinbig10country »

I was out from 98 to 2000. Left 2 weeks after the broncos won their first superbowl. I missed 2 out of the 3 Feterik years, so I have that going for me.

When I left, about the only thing I knew about the Internet was email. I came back, and it was everywhere.

I missed the last Seinfeld episode. I missed Weber State beating UNC. I missed the second Jazz/Bulls finals (mostly).

I missed the tornado in downtown SLC.

I can't think of much else.

[ Post made via Mobile Device ] Image

SpiffCoug
TV Analyst

Post by SpiffCoug »

I missed the Florida Marlins supposedly winning the World Series in 1997. I don't believe this ever really happened. They played .433 ball in the three seasons before I left. And .406 ball in the three seasons after I got back. Yet I'm supposed to somehow believe they won the World Series? That they magically became the best team in baseball?

Sorry. Never gonna believe it.

BYU PER W/L Since 1972: 432-76 (.850)
(8.4x
YDS)+(330xTD)+(100xCOM)-(200xINT)
..................ATT
SpiffCoug's posts are BB-8 approved!