What did you miss out on during your mission?

Feel free to discuss appropriate non-BYU/Sports related topics here. We ask you to respect other users, the Church, avoid soapbox postings, and keep it clean.
BoiseBYU
All Star
Fan Level: BYU Fan
Prediction Group: CougarCorner

Re: What did you miss out on during your mission?

Post by BoiseBYU »

I missed the dedication of the Kirtland Temple...

Brayden Green
Over-Achiever
Fan Level: BYU Fanatic

Post by Brayden Green »

snoscythe wrote:
BYUROCKS wrote:And now I've fallen in love with Imagine Dragons.
I remember watching a lame movie ("Corky Romano") on DVD a couple of weeks after I got home, and it had this cool song in it that I went to the trouble of running down on Kazaa and burning on a disc so I could share it with my buddies the next day on our way to Cincy for a Reds game.

I got mocked relentlessly because, evidently, "Kryptonite" by Three Doors Down had run it's course and been relegated to the trash-heap of overplayed songs 6 months before I got home, and here I thought I had found an obscure indy band or something.
Almost the same exact story with Hoobastank "The Reason".

When Brayden posts Kalani be like:

Brayden Green
Over-Achiever

Post by Brayden Green »

02 - 04'

Many good ones have been mentioned. One worth mentioning (I think) is one of my favorite bands of all time came out of nowhere, and then basically faded off into the night, without me ever having a chance to see them: Audioslave

Mars
Retired

Post by Mars »

I missed making out with chicks. And swimming. :~(

2nd day back home, I made out with a BYU chick in a hot tub! :D #blessings

Mars Cauthon, Prince of the Cougars!
Resident board douchebag.
https://twitter.com/#!/eldermars
Brayden Green
Over-Achiever

Post by Brayden Green »

Mars wrote:
I missed making out with chicks. And swimming. :~(

2nd day back home, I made out with a BYU chick in a hot tub! :D #blessings
:lol: Well, you gotta fill your canteen!

That is my advice for each prospective missionary (which is also partly why I'll never serve in any "upper" management position in the church). If you are going into the desert, you are going to need a full canteen. If you serve a mission, girls are going to be gunning for you (at least, in my experience they where in a 3rd world country...). If you aren't used to that kind of heat it can be a major temptation to avoid making out with the endless wave of semi-toothless girl after semi-toothless girl coming at you like a heatseeking missile.

I personally didn't miss dating during the mission. It was the least confusing 2 years of my life, not having to deal with the absolute craziness of that other gender.

(p.s. it isn't my only advice to prospective missionaries. There is some good stuff in there too ;) )

Schmoe
Retired

Post by Schmoe »

Well, if we're talking about advice, I'd say dump your girlfriend. Don't expect her to wait for you, don't let her tell you she will, just be friends and if she's still around when you get back, great, but you'll still both be very different people and it still may not work out.

I saw way too many elders lose out on months of extremely valuable time because of nonsense letters from girls back home. Just leave 'em.

I'm just a regular, everyday normal guy,
I can't afford a car, I use public transportation,
I don't mind, I read till I reach my destination,
sometimes a newspaper, sometimes a book,
the money I save, this stuff is off the hook,
Brayden Green
Over-Achiever

Post by Brayden Green »

Schmoe wrote:Well, if we're talking about advice, I'd say dump your girlfriend. Don't expect her to wait for you, don't let her tell you she will, just be friends and if she's still around when you get back, great, but you'll still both be very different people and it still may not work out.

I saw way too many elders lose out on months of extremely valuable time because of nonsense letters from girls back home. Just leave 'em.
That is good advice. OR, get a couple girls just in case one falls through :)

And be sure to fill your canteen! 8)

mizzoucoug
Pro
Fan Level: BYU Fan

Post by mizzoucoug »

Schmoe wrote:Well, if we're talking about advice, I'd say dump your girlfriend. Don't expect her to wait for you, don't let her tell you she will, just be friends and if she's still around when you get back, great, but you'll still both be very different people and it still may not work out.

Very well said. I didn't have the guts to tell mine goodbye so the Lord took matters into his own hands and found her an RM right at the end of my freshman semester. Broke my heart, but it helped me focus for 2 years.

CAFB_04-12
All-American
Fan Level: BYU Blue Goggled Homer

Post by CAFB_04-12 »

1998-2000. I missed walking around not having doors slammed in my face. Fortunately I was able to walk around and get doors slammed in my face on my mission instead.

imuakahuku
All-American
Fan Level: BYU Blue Goggled Homer

Post by imuakahuku »

I've been pondering this but I'm just not sure what I missed out on because I wasn't around to know that I would have missed out on it if I had been serving a mission. :sulk:
I was in the MTC when BYU opened the season vs Pitt at BYU and I heard the roar of BYU's first TD of the season. So how did that game and season end up? (1987).

[ Post made via Mobile Device ] Image