Controversial Topic: Which will cause more members to leave?

Feel free to discuss appropriate non-BYU/Sports related topics here. We ask you to respect other users, the Church, avoid soapbox postings, and keep it clean.

Which topic will cause more otherwise faithful members of the Church of Jesus Christ to leave?

Opposition to legalizing gay marriage
95%
Ordain Women movement
5%

Total votes: 19

hawkwing
TV Analyst
Fan Level: BYU Blue Goggled Homer
Prediction Group: CougarCorner

Controversial Topic: Which will cause more members to leave?

Post by hawkwing »

Which topic will cause more otherwise faithful members of the Church of Jesus Christ to leave?

Ordain Women movement or the active fighting against legalization of Gay Marriage?

Schmoe
Retired
Fan Level: BYU Fanatic

Re: Controversial Topic: Which will cause more members to le

Post by Schmoe »

The "Gay Rights" movement has been and will continue to be more detrimental to the spread of the gospel and retention of members. The "Ordain Women" movement is microscopic in comparison, but both are rooted in the evil of philosophies of man mingled with scripture.

I'm just a regular, everyday normal guy,
I can't afford a car, I use public transportation,
I don't mind, I read till I reach my destination,
sometimes a newspaper, sometimes a book,
the money I save, this stuff is off the hook,
BoiseBYU
All Star
Fan Level: BYU Fan

Post by BoiseBYU »

Of those two, I'd select the gay rights issue, although in my humble view those two issues pale into insignificance compared to other matters that cause spiritual apostasy and separation for present members of the church.

snoscythe
Retired

Post by snoscythe »

If it continues it's trajectory, the OW movement will lead to some excommunications and will die off, just like the "Heavenly Mother" movement of the early 90s was quieted when the movement leaders were ex'd or disfellowshipped. I see the OW as a re-emergence of that same misguided feminist movement, especially given OW's mission statement: "God is male and female, father and mother, and all of us can progress to be like them someday." Sounds like a rehash. You'll find if you look into the OW leaders personally, they are obsessed with the idea of bringing HM into worship alongside HF. Hannah Wheelwright even mentions carrying on the legacy of the "September Six." OW is a few loudmouthed individuals getting otherwise rational people worked up. Once the leaders are slapped down, the lay folk will go back to the norm.

The gay rights is a national trend that will not go away if a few figureheads are removed. It will be on of the means whereby the wheat and the chaff are separated.

Ddawg
All Star

Post by Ddawg »

I'm personally pushing for the "Ordain Women" movement to happen - and happen fast. I've already asked my Elders Quorum President if I can "tag team" my Home Teaching assignments with my wife. Every other month would be suhweeeeet. He's thinking about it. 8)

Cougarfan87
All-American

Post by Cougarfan87 »

Ddawg wrote:I'm personally pushing for the "Ordain Women" movement to happen - and happen fast. I've already asked my Elders Quorum President if I can "tag team" my Home Teaching assignments with my wife. Every other month would be suhweeeeet. He's thinking about it. 8)
:lol: And that is one of the very reasons why I don't think it will happen in this life. I am already intimidated by how much better my wife is than me. Give her the Priesthood and I don't have a chance.

I voted for the gay marriage issue to drive more away. It is becoming increasingly popular to be gay, so parents are going to have to confront the issue with their children that consider themselves gay. Some of them will remain faithful, but some will not. I think the large majority of LDS women do NOT want the Priesthood. I would say there are too many LDS folks that are accepting of the gay marriage movement. I think they mistakenly believe that it does not have any impact on their lives, so why worry about it. But it does have an impact...such as when you refuse to make a wedding cake for a gay marriage because you consider that against your religious beliefs. Or what if they want to force the Bishop to perform a free wedding that the Bishop performs for other members. There are real consequences for casting aside centuries of morality.

Ninety-five percent of the lawyers make the other five percent of us look bad.
Mars
Retired

Post by Mars »

When the Church cancels athletics at BYU.

Mars Cauthon, Prince of the Cougars!
Resident board douchebag.
https://twitter.com/#!/eldermars
jvquarterback
Heisman Winner

Post by jvquarterback »

Hard to say.

If governments simply refused to sanction any marriage, the gay marriage deal would be over so there's an out. Homosexuality is only prevalent in 10-15% of the population.

The give women the priesthood movement is small but it isn't something that will ever just go away entirely. 51% of the world are women.

For now I'd say gay marriage has a greater number of adherents but that can easily change. I think the potential for loss among women is much greater.

It doesn't matter though. We'll have to address both.

If ye love the tranquility of servitude better than the contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.
Sam Adams
ABYUFAN
Pro

Post by ABYUFAN »

Mars wrote:
When the Church cancels athletics at BYU.
This will drive me away that's for sure.

Ddawg
All Star

Post by Ddawg »

I agree with Schmoe's assessment 100%. The "Ordain Women" movement will be a niche kerfuffle. It will have a small, dedicated, and ardent group of supporters. The passionate zealots that embrace this cause will be comprised of mostly women and a few men supporters. I think their numbers will remain relatively small and unproductive. I agree with Sno's assessment. Once the key leadership group gets excommunicated, "OW" withers and fade away. IMHO.

The "Gay" issue is a different story. With the tide of public opinion turning and the full weight of both state and federal govt.'s supporting the gay movement - this issue is huge and will continue to grow. One reason being, the LBGT community is very aggressive thru litigation and legislation. A very organized and influential element of the LBGT community is essentially Fascist in their tactics and aggression. They will try to destroy your job and run you out of town if you disagree with them. If you doubt that, take a look at what happened to the ex-CEO of Mozilla, Brendan Eich (Because he made a political contribution 8 years ago - perfectly legal). They have the courts and politicians on their side, educational systems are onboard, the tsunami has arrived.

The reason this will continue to be a stumbling block within the Church is, almost everyone has a friend, or a family member who is LBGT. It's not uncommon. Mostly, these are kind and loving people. Note: They are our family and friends - we like them. Hence, it will be a growing challenge for Church members to reconcile the love they feel for their LBGT family and friends, and still remain stalwart re: the Church's policies about LBGT folks. It is challenging now, and is getting bigger. It will be a stumbling block for many folks.
Last edited by Ddawg on Wed Jun 11, 2014 11:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.