8 Non-LDS Movies All Mormons Love

Feel free to discuss appropriate non-BYU/Sports related topics here. We ask you to respect other users, the Church, avoid soapbox postings, and keep it clean.
BoiseBYU
All Star
Fan Level: BYU Fan
Prediction Group: CougarCorner

Re: 8 Non-LDS Movies All Mormons Love

Post by BoiseBYU »

urroner wrote:Where is Blazing Saddles? I'm disappointed.

Lyle: Come on, boys! The way you're lollygaggin' around here with them picks and shovels, you'd think it was 120 degrees. Can't be more than 114. [his friends laugh, and a Chinaman falls over from exhaustion] Dock that Chink a day's pay for nappin' on the job.

Bart: Candygram for Mongo!

Bart: [watching Mongo's rampage] I don't know what it is.
[Van Johnson bursts into the office]
Van Johnson: Sheriff! Mongo's back! He's...
[realizes Bart is on the opposite side of the room, and turns around]
Van Johnson: Sheriff! Mongo's back! He's breaking up the whole town! You've got to help us, please!
Bart: Did you hear that? Now it's "please". This morning, I couldn't get the time of day. Who is this Mongo, anyway?
Jim: Well, Mongo ain't exactly a "who". He's more of a "what".
Van Johnson: What he said.
Bart: Well, now, I don't know...
Van Johnson: Oh, thank you, Sheriff! Oh, thank you very much! Thank you!
[runs to the door and flings it open]
Van Johnson: [shouting] The fool's going to... I mean, the sheriff's going to do it!

Bart: I better go check out this Mongo character.
[Bart reaches for his gun]
Jim: Oh no, don't do that, don't do that. If you shoot him, you'll just make him mad.

Mongo: Mongo only pawn... in game of life.

Olson Johnson: [after Gabby Johnson's speech] Now who can argue with that? I think we're all indebted to Gabby Johnson for clearly stating what needed to be said. I'm particulary glad that these lovely children were here today to hear that speech. Not only was it authentic frontier gibberish, it expressed a courage little seen in this day and age.

Taggart: The surveyors say they may have run into some quicksand up ahead. Better check it out.
Lyle: Okay, I'll send down a team of horses to check out the ground.
Taggart: *Horses*?
[hits Lyle's head]
Taggart: We can't afford to lose any horses, you dummy! Send over a couple of ni**ers.

Taggart: Send a wire to the main office and tell them I said...
[Bart whacks him with a shovel]
Taggart: OW!
Lyle: [writing] Send wire, main office, tell them I said "ow". Gotcha!

Hey, with such riveting and simulating dialogue, how could anybody not like movie?
Haha! My favorite scene has no dialogue. Just the guys around the fire eating some chili...and I bet everyone here knows what happens next! My sides ached the first time I saw that

mizzoucoug
Pro

Post by mizzoucoug »

The only movie that stands out to me as uniquely loved by Mormons is the Princess Bride. I still don't know how it got such a following, but I remember hearing about it since the early 90's.

nuk13
All-American

Post by nuk13 »

I'd rather make my own list. I wouldn't come up with a lot right now but I would put Shane on the list. We saw it after we moved to the Bitterroots but seeing the incredible Tetons made us homesick. The reason that I'd put it on my list however, is the principle of sacrifice. Shane knew they'd kill Starret but that he'd have a chance at the peril of his life. He fought Starret to save his ,his family and friend's lives. Even though he got wounded he saved those poor settlers. To me one of the greatest scenes in all the movies I've seen is Shane riding in the twilight toward the Tetons with Joey crying "Come back Shane".

byufan4ever
Heisman Winner
Fan Level: BYU Fanatic

Post by byufan4ever »

Princess Bride is definitely a Mormon favorite! I had never seen the movie before attending Ricks College and I kid you not everyone could quote it word for word. I only ever hear Mormons quote that movie.

"life is 10% what happens to me and 90% how I react to it." - Charles Swindoll
NCAA Tournament > empty wins
Schmoe
Retired

Post by Schmoe »

byufan4ever wrote:I only ever hear Mormons quote that movie.
Hmm...maybe you only ever spend time with Mormons, then:

http://www.ranker.com/list/most-quoted- ... gle.com%2F" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

http://www.phillymag.com/news/2012/10/1 ... vies-time/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I'm just a regular, everyday normal guy,
I can't afford a car, I use public transportation,
I don't mind, I read till I reach my destination,
sometimes a newspaper, sometimes a book,
the money I save, this stuff is off the hook,
byufan4ever
Heisman Winner

Post by byufan4ever »

Schmoe wrote:

http://www.ranker.com/list/most-quoted- ... gle.com%2F" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

http://www.phillymag.com/news/2012/10/1 ... vies-time/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
I don't live in the Bubble and I have never heard a non-Mormon quote that movie...

"life is 10% what happens to me and 90% how I react to it." - Charles Swindoll
NCAA Tournament > empty wins
Mars
Retired

Post by Mars »

mizzoucoug wrote:The only movie that stands out to me as uniquely loved by Mormons is the Princess Bride. I still don't know how it got such a following, but I remember hearing about it since the early 90's.
Saturday's Warrior?

Jonny Lingo?

Mars Cauthon, Prince of the Cougars!
Resident board douchebag.
https://twitter.com/#!/eldermars
BOID
Junior

Post by BOID »

byufan4ever wrote:
Schmoe wrote:

I don't live in the Bubble and I have never heard a non-Mormon quote that movie...
My son and I are the only LDS that participate in Guam Ultimate Frisbee and in the Guam Hash. Most of those people are attorneys or engineers recruited here by Gov Guam. Some are on research field trips with U of Guam. Anyway, The Princess Bride is well known to them. They even staged a Princess Bride Hash run, with costumes. We had dozens of ROUS's, several each of Men in Black, Inigo, and the Six Fingered Man. We had one big guy, 6' 6", who played Fessik, and threw rocks at us as we climbed a rope up the aptly named "Cliffs of Insanity." There was an incredible "Fire Swamp" to cross (a real swamp with small islets, each one supporting one tree). Miracle Max, Buttercup, and the Old King were also represented. Oh yeah, the little Sicilian dude was there as well, with two goblets to choose from. It was a great time.

[ Post made via Mobile Device ] Image
Last edited by BOID on Mon Jun 16, 2014 3:56 am, edited 2 times in total.

BOID
Junior

Post by BOID »

P.S. I think we could add Natcho Libre to the list. Very popular in Utah; but, unlike Napoleon D, not so well recognized outside of LDS areas.

[ Post made via Mobile Device ] Image

mizzoucoug
Pro

Post by mizzoucoug »

Mars wrote:
mizzoucoug wrote:The only movie that stands out to me as uniquely loved by Mormons is the Princess Bride. I still don't know how it got such a following, but I remember hearing about it since the early 90's.
Saturday's Warrior?

Jonny Lingo?
Those are not mainstream movies though.

My freshman year everyone seemed to be in love with Zoolander and So I Married an Axe Murderer. I've still never seen either one but they were pretty popular among the LDS in my circle.