Kate Kelly Excommunicated

Feel free to discuss appropriate non-BYU/Sports related topics here. We ask you to respect other users, the Church, avoid soapbox postings, and keep it clean.
HoosierCougar
Junior
Fan Level: BYU Fanatic
Prediction Group: CougarCorner

Re: Kate Kelly Excommunicated

Post by HoosierCougar »

In addition to "true to oneself" the word "authentic" is also problematic and tends to be used by those when leave the Church over moral teachings: "I wouldn't be authentic" if I stayed in a church that keeps me from being who I really am."

Let's not assume a serial killer or a pedofile or an abusive spouse. Rather, assume a woman or man who wants to have premarital or extramarital sex. I have no doubt the desires are real. Even biologically designed an unable to be changed. But are they supressable? Can they be reigned in to live by a moral code?

Much of the world would say there's no reason to do so, that humans aren't designed for monogamy. In this case does "authentic" really mean "to live as the Natural Man"... as an enemy to God?

[ Post made via Mobile Device ] Image

snoscythe
Retired

Post by snoscythe »

I've spent a bit of time looking at Ms. Kelly and her Ordain Women site, including all the linked letters/materials she provided detailing the circumstances of her excommunication. A few observations:

1) Kathryn Marie Kelly (aka Kate Kelly) has gone to great lengths to obscure her professional history. She is, in fact, a career feminist, most recently working with the RFK Center in D.C. to promote womens rights in Africa through public demonstrations aimed at securing the backing of the U.N. She selected her law school particularly because of its offerings in activism.

2) Mrs. Kelly has been less-than-honest, if not outright dishonest, about her interactions with her priesthood leaders in Virginia leading up to her excommunication. First, we find out she was put on informal probation in early May with a warning that a council could be convened if she continued her path--this is counter to her assertion that she had no warning prior to moving to Utah in June. Next, we find out in later disclosures that she initially met with the Stake President and Bishop as long ago as December where they informally asked her to disassociate from OW. The most recent lie is her "they won't even let me attend to face my accusers" line. In fact, we now find out that they offered to postpone the council until later in July when she will be back in Virginia and can attend in person, and they also offered to let her participate via a secure video feed. She refused both offers, choosing instead to attend a candlelight vigil at Church Headquarters and to speak to the media instead of availing herself of the opportunity to defend herself in person--something she claims to prize.

3) Her letter to the council as well as the "legal brief" she submitted in her defense make it clear to anyone with half of a wit that Kate Kelly wanted this excommunication. There is nothing humble or pentitent there. Those documents look more like the groundwork of an ill-advised discrimination lawsuit against the church more than a good faith defense against charges of apostasy. It will be interesting to see if in fact she chooses to sue the Church for discrimination on the basis of gender, because that appears to be the direction she is trying to steer this.

4) This woman has lost her testimony of church leadership. Her statement about the discliplinary council reveal the fact that she does not believe her bishop, Stake President, nor even the First Presidency (whom she acknowledges is at least tangentally involved with the records hold) operate by revelation or the gift of discernment. Instead, she propogates the divisive idea that these men cannot fairly judge her by reason of their lack of femininity. She forecloses on any idea that the spirit may be involved, but instead paints them, and all other men in the church who do not subscribe to the screed of OW, as misogynists incapable of fairness.

Ungoy
All-American

Post by Ungoy »

That pretty much sums it up, Sno. Great post.

My wife will attest that a few years ago, I predicted where the whole wear pants to church thing was going. They said then that it was only about wearing pants to church. I said that after the pants thing, they would escalate to something else more public, and more eventually demanding the Priesthood.

After the pants debacle, they went on their tirade about women praying in General Conference. After that it escalated to Priesthood.

This isn't about equality. It's about control. Kate Kelly wants to be the first prophetess of the Church. She doesn't just want to exercise Priesthood authority, she wants to exercise control over the men she obviously hates so much. She wants to fundamentally change Church doctrine, not just regarding the Priesthood, but regarding the nature of God himself. Quotes such as "I can more clearly see the face of God, and she is beautiful." and "God is male and female, father and mother." She is trying to change who we worship.

Ungoy
All-American

Post by Ungoy »

Oh... my... heck...

They just cannot let it go.

Ordain Women responds to First Presidency statement:

http://www.heraldextra.com/news/local/c ... 99e7a.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

A few gems...
"They have released a statement that describes current church policy on priesthood, as follows: 'Only men are ordained to serve in priesthood offices.' There is no mention of why women cannot be ordained or that they will not be in the future."
"Further, the statement is an improvement in transparency for the Church, as it publicly discloses the official definition of apostasy from Church Handbook of Instructions Volume 1, a volume of church policy that is restricted from all but nine female church members. We affirm that we are not acting in opposition to the prophet or the Church, have not taught false doctrine, and do not meet any definition of apostasy."
They have taken this issue and gone full on stupid on the Church.

Their ignorance and dishonesty in regard to their actions and demands is a slap in the face of anyone who actually has half a brain.

scott715
TV Analyst

Post by scott715 »

Did she join the church just to do this? Is she a convert?

nuk13
All-American
Fan Level: BYU Fan

Post by nuk13 »

scott715 wrote:Did she join the church just to do this? Is she a convert?

One account said she served a mission where she learned of the churches discrimination toward women.

I'd like to know what her husband is thinking.

snoscythe
Retired

Post by snoscythe »

nuk13 wrote:I'd like to know what her husband is thinking.
He's not allowed to think. He would risk thinking differently than his wife, which is, by contemporary progressive standards, misogynist.

ABYUFAN
Pro
Fan Level: BYU Blue Goggled Homer

Post by ABYUFAN »

It is interesting that they insist on the "cannot" argument, wondering aloud why Women "cannot" hold the priesthood. They are smart people, and know full well that the priesthood is not given on the basis of ability. It is not a question of whether they "can" hold the priesthood, but "do." Just because they are not given the priesthood, does not mean that God in any way questions their ability. They know that very well, and are intellectually dishonest in hanging on to that losing argument. Stated another way, there are many women who would do a “better” job at being Bishop, Sunday school president or ward clerk in my ward, but there are also a number of men who do a better job too. This is not a question of ability, and more of a question of the Lord’s will. They know that, but choose to ignore it because they simply want to advance their wrong-headed agenda

BoiseBYU
All Star
Fan Level: BYU Fan

Post by BoiseBYU »

ABYUFAN wrote:It is interesting that they insist on the "cannot" argument, wondering aloud why Women "cannot" hold the priesthood. They are smart people, and know full well that the priesthood is not given on the basis of ability. It is not a question of whether they "can" hold the priesthood, but "do." Just because they are not given the priesthood, does not mean that God in any way questions their ability. They know that very well, and are intellectually dishonest in hanging on to that losing argument. Stated another way, there are many women who would do a “better” job at being Bishop, Sunday school president or ward clerk in my ward, but there are also a number of men who do a better job too. This is not a question of ability, and more of a question of the Lord’s will. They know that, but choose to ignore it because they simply want to advance their wrong-headed agenda
They do not ackknowledge, and I thikn it is with full knowledge, that every day women are granted and exercise priesthood authority in their service as auxilary presdents, temple workers, missionaries etc. Elder Oaks made that clear last conference. What they really want is power, which they perceive to come only from holding certain offices in the priesthood. But when we seek after power, well, the scriptures teach what happens: we get an Amen to that person's authority

ABYUFAN
Pro
Fan Level: BYU Blue Goggled Homer

Post by ABYUFAN »

BoiseBYU wrote:
ABYUFAN wrote:It is interesting that they insist on the "cannot" argument, wondering aloud why Women "cannot" hold the priesthood. They are smart people, and know full well that the priesthood is not given on the basis of ability. It is not a question of whether they "can" hold the priesthood, but "do." Just because they are not given the priesthood, does not mean that God in any way questions their ability. They know that very well, and are intellectually dishonest in hanging on to that losing argument. Stated another way, there are many women who would do a “better” job at being Bishop, Sunday school president or ward clerk in my ward, but there are also a number of men who do a better job too. This is not a question of ability, and more of a question of the Lord’s will. They know that, but choose to ignore it because they simply want to advance their wrong-headed agenda
They do not ackknowledge, and I thikn it is with full knowledge, that every day women are granted and exercise priesthood authority in their service as auxilary presdents, temple workers, missionaries etc. Elder Oaks made that clear last conference. What they really want is power, which they perceive to come only from holding certain offices in the priesthood. But when we seek after power, well, the scriptures teach what happens: we get an Amen to that person's authority
As someone else has staed, they are choosing to be excommunicated over the issue of middle management.