Kate Kelly Excommunicated

Feel free to discuss appropriate non-BYU/Sports related topics here. We ask you to respect other users, the Church, avoid soapbox postings, and keep it clean.
hawkwing
TV Analyst
Fan Level: BYU Blue Goggled Homer
Prediction Group: CougarCorner

Kate Kelly Excommunicated

Post by hawkwing »

http://www.deseretnews.com/article/8656 ... under.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
" . . . our determination is that you be excommunicated for conduct contrary to the laws and order of the Church. This means that you may not wear temple garments or contribute tithes and offerings. You may not take the sacrament, hold a church calling, give a talk in church, offer a public prayer in behalf of the class or congregation in a church meeting, or vote in the sustaining of church officers. These conditions almost always last at least one year. If you show true repentance and satisfy the conditions imposed below while you are no longer a member, you may be readmitted by baptism and confirmation.

"In order to be considered for readmission to the church, you will need to demonstrate over a period of time that you have stopped teachings and actions that undermine the church, its leaders, and the doctrine of the priesthood. You must be truthful in your communications with others regarding matters that involve your priesthood leaders, including the administration of church discipline, and you must stop trying to gain a following for yourself or your cause and taking actions that could lead others away from the church."

mizzoucoug
Pro
Fan Level: BYU Fan

Re: Kate Kelly Excommunicated

Post by mizzoucoug »

I made the mistake of perusing the comments section of the Trib on this same story. So many haters it's unbelievable. And when a hater gets on a roll, facts mean nothing.

I wish I could've made the candlelight vigil at my stake center last night, but the Bishop advised us all against it.

Ddawg
All Star

Post by Ddawg »

I love candles. Candles are so pretty. ;)

Schmoe
Retired
Fan Level: BYU Fanatic

Post by Schmoe »

Pray that she finds humility through this and is able to rediscover her faith in the Lord, but am also happy that this circus is over and her fifteen minutes are up.

I'm just a regular, everyday normal guy,
I can't afford a car, I use public transportation,
I don't mind, I read till I reach my destination,
sometimes a newspaper, sometimes a book,
the money I save, this stuff is off the hook,
HoosierCougar
Junior

Post by HoosierCougar »

This whole episode makes me incredibly sad. I never want to see anyone leave the church (by choice, or by discipline, or any other reason).

I have read so much from both sides, and, unfortunately, there is a tremendous amount of half truth and twisted logic from Sister Kelly and OW. The "sameness" doctrine is one I don't understand. The concept that one cannot understand another unless they are "the same" is in direct opposition to the idea of empathy I was taught in the MTC and have tried to incorporate into my life.

I also don't understand how one can state belief in/testimmony of the church, then discount ideas like common judgeship, gifts of discernment, and relevation for area of stewardship.

truly a sad day for the Kelly family. I wish them well and hope Sister Kelly can find her way back to the strait and narrow path.

ABYUFAN
Pro

Post by ABYUFAN »

http://mobile.nytimes.com/2014/06/24/us ... &referrer=" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

at least she's not one fopr Hyperbole....

She plans to appeal, and bristled at the notion that church discipline is done out of love.
“That’s classic language of an abusive relationship, where a person abusing and hurting you says that they’re doing it out of love,” she said.
She's fighting to stay in the relationship that she just indicated was an abusive one?

nuk13
All-American

Post by nuk13 »

ABYUFAN wrote:http://mobile.nytimes.com/2014/06/24/us ... &referrer=

at least she's not one fopr Hyperbole....

She plans to appeal, and bristled at the notion that church discipline is done out of love.
“That’s classic language of an abusive relationship, where a person abusing and hurting you says that they’re doing it out of love,” she said.
She's fighting to stay in the relationship that she just indicated was an abusive one?
I bristle (not really) at the notion that you can run the Church of Jesus Christ by protesting and popular opinion. I take it that she thinks she can end the abuse if she and her associates can tell the rest of us how to run the Lord's church. Wait, isn't that abuse?

CAFB_04-12
All-American

Post by CAFB_04-12 »

Mark me down as one that doesn't feel bad or sad for this woman. The arrogance she has shown through this process is astounding. That she feigns surprise at the outcome is hilarious and she makes a mockery of a very sensitive process.

If anything, I hope this serves as a wake up call to the otherwise faithful feminist mormon housewives who have joined Ordain Women.

scott715
TV Analyst

Post by scott715 »

Well she is an attorney and using all of her skill to sway people to her side.

[ Post made via Mobile Device ] Image

BOID
Junior

Post by BOID »

nuk13, CAFB, Scott, I agree with you guys here. I find it difficult to empathise with someone who is being deliberately duplicitous. I observed the same thing from Sonja Johnson in the Eighties. Both of these individuals professed to value their church membership while sticking their thumb in the church's eye. They seemed to be using their "dismay" over their ex-communications as a means to deliver a further PR "black eye" to the Church, loudly proclaiming it to be cruel and intolerant in their cases.. They both seemed to regard the church as a secular club that votes on its own by-laws, in denial of its devine source of guidance. They are duplicitous in acting as though they are religiously devoted to the church, while denying its devine origins.

Finally, the unmitigated arrogance in their perserverence to become some kind of "Joan of Arc" for the history books. If this church is as fundamentally incorrect as she proposes, why does she need this "false church?" She can separate and form her own organization and then exact her own expectations upon it.

Of course, for the sake of charity, we hope for all of God's children to humble themselves and come home.

[ Post made via Mobile Device ] Image