Thoughts on the Honor Code

Feel free to discuss appropriate non-BYU/Sports related topics here. We ask you to respect other users, the Church, avoid soapbox postings, and keep it clean.
SpiffCoug
TV Analyst
Fan Level: BYU Fanatic
Prediction Group: CougarCorner

Thoughts on the Honor Code

Post by SpiffCoug »

https://www.dialoguejournal.com/wp-cont ... 04_101.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Anyone else ever seen this article, about how BYU arrived at the current Honor Code? I don't know how accurate the portrayal is, but I'm really having some issues with some of it.

I think the Honor Code - specifically the dress and grooming standards - can use some updating from what Pres. Wilkinson thought was correct. I think there are some allowances that can be made then are currently available. It seems the standards of being well kempt would be more appropriate than the specificity guys like Wilkinson were looking for.

Thoughts?

BYU PER W/L Since 1972: 432-76 (.850)
(8.4x
YDS)+(330xTD)+(100xCOM)-(200xINT)
..................ATT
SpiffCoug's posts are BB-8 approved!
frdbtr
Over-Achiever
Fan Level: BYU Blue Goggled Homer

Re: Thoughts on the Honor Code

Post by frdbtr »

I was kind of thinking this topic would be more at home in the Lounge.

byufan4ever
Heisman Winner

Post by byufan4ever »

Wow, I always thought the Honor Code was heaven inspired, but this makes it seem like it was the zealous wish of a tyrant.

I wish more people in the church followed Joseph's teachings that people should be taught correct principles and then govern themselves although I admit that I find myself having that same trouble with my kids. I want to force them to make correct decisions, but when I step back and think about it they need to be able to exercise their own agency. Remember, Satan's plan was to take away agency.

Still, with all that said, I had a great time at Ricks College / BYU-Idaho and never had a problem with the Honor Code although I never felt that it was forced upon me and I lived it willingly.

"life is 10% what happens to me and 90% how I react to it." - Charles Swindoll
NCAA Tournament > empty wins
SpiffCoug
TV Analyst

Post by SpiffCoug »

byufan4ever wrote:Wow, I always thought the Honor Code was heaven inspired, but this makes it seem like it was the zealous wish of a tyrant.

I wish more people in the church followed Joseph's teachings that people should be taught correct principles and then govern themselves although I admit that I find myself having that same trouble with my kids. I want to force them to make correct decisions, but when I step back and think about it they need to be able to exercise their own agency. Remember, Satan's plan was to take away agency.

Still, with all that said, I had a great time at Ricks College / BYU-Idaho and never had a problem with the Honor Code although I never felt that it was forced upon me and I lived it willingly.
Yeah, this article is definitely biased against Wilkinson and other administrators at the time. Stooping to almost Gestapo like tactics.

So it'd be interesting to see what the other side thought. Maybe I'll ask my parents, they were at BYU in the 60s.

BYU PER W/L Since 1972: 432-76 (.850)
(8.4x
YDS)+(330xTD)+(100xCOM)-(200xINT)
..................ATT
SpiffCoug's posts are BB-8 approved!
Y 4 Ever
All-American

Post by Y 4 Ever »

I've always hated the Honor Code and have not been hesitant to say so. Nothing has changed my stance on that - even when Bronco tries to sell it as a "strength" in recruiting.

hawkwing
TV Analyst

Post by hawkwing »

I like the idea of the dress and grooming standards defining something of a unified, professional appearance to the world. Could it be updated? Yes, Should it be, I think it should be looked at and tweaked often.

Qman
All-American
Fan Level: BYU Fan

Post by Qman »

Another article about

http://www.deseretnews.com/article/5950 ... tml?pg=all" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Fall down seven times, stand up eight. Chinese Proverb
BYUBALLIN
Sophomore

Post by BYUBALLIN »

Simple fact is this if you don't like the honor code don't go to BYU that's simple..It's frustrating to hear people at BYU complain about it.. If you did not like it then you should have never asked to get in. Iam a convert but been a BYU fan my whole life and I always loved the fact that BYU has standards.

Cougs_Rule
Over-Achiever
Fan Level: BYU Fan

Post by Cougs_Rule »

Given that the majority of Academia is a cesspool of liberalism, "progressive-ism" and party-hardy-ing, I still like the HC. It is needed, maybe even a necessary evil of "enforcement." THe HC isnt that hard to comply with and more and more sets BYU apart.

BYUBALLIN
Sophomore

Post by BYUBALLIN »

Cougs_Rule wrote:Given that the majority of Academia is a cesspool of liberalism, "progressive-ism" and party-hardy-ing, I still like the HC. It is needed, maybe even a necessary evil of "enforcement." THe HC isnt that hard to comply with and more and more sets BYU apart.
Well said.