Connecticut facts

Feel free to discuss appropriate non-BYU/Sports related topics here. We ask you to respect other users, the Church, avoid soapbox postings, and keep it clean.
BoiseBYU
All Star
Fan Level: BYU Fan
Prediction Group: CougarCorner

Connecticut facts

Post by BoiseBYU »

In honor of our opponent, let's learn about the great, but very little, State of Connecticut

1. Mary Kies, of South Killingly was the first woman to receive a U.S. patent. the USPO approved it just last year.
2. On January 28, 1878, 21 venturous citizens of New Haven became the world's first subscribers to telephone exchange service. They’ve not had a peaceful dinner since.
3. In Hartford, you may not, under any circumstances, cross the street walking on your hands. Skipping on your hands is just fine.
4. Connecticut is home to the oldest U.S. newspaper still being published: I did not know that USA today was located in CT!
5. Connecticut is home to the first hamburger (1895), That was soon followed by the first heart attack.
6. The first lollipop-making machine opened for business in New Haven in 1908. Ever since CT has been a state of suckers.
7. Connecticut State insect is the Praying Mantis. And here I thought it was WWF's McMahons.
8. Connecticut's motto is Qui Transtulit Sustinet It makes even less sense in English:-- "He Who Transplanted Still Sustains".
9. The first expert in the treatment of Asiatic cholera was Dr. Henry Bronson in 1832. He was a professor at Yale Medical School. Now if he only went to Asia to actually study the disease, he might have done some good.
10. The first golf tournament in Connecticut for women only was held in Waterbury on June 12, 1917. That pretty much was the last one too
11. PEZ® Candy is made in the city of Orange. That stuff rots teeth
12. Some of the world's most famous cloth is woven in the Stafford textile mills, at least before they were outsourced to Bengladesh.

SpiffCoug
TV Analyst
Fan Level: BYU Fanatic

Re: Connecticut facts

Post by SpiffCoug »

One of my favorite authors growing up was from Putnam, Connecticut. Gertrude Chandler Warner of the Boxcar Children.

BYU PER W/L Since 1972: 432-76 (.850)
(8.4x
YDS)+(330xTD)+(100xCOM)-(200xINT)
..................ATT
SpiffCoug's posts are BB-8 approved!
Ddawg
All Star
Fan Level: BYU Fan

Post by Ddawg »

BoiseBYU wrote:In honor of our opponent, let's learn about the great, but very little, State of Connecticut

3. In Hartford, you may not, under any circumstances, cross the street walking on your hands. Skipping on your hands is just fine.
I feel discriminated against - that is my favorite way to cross any street. ;)
(I wish I had that talent. I don't)

scott715
TV Analyst
Fan Level: BYU Fanatic

Post by scott715 »

Contact ACLU, it seems a worthy cause of them.