Must Read Book for Every American

Feel free to discuss appropriate non-BYU/Sports related topics here. We ask you to respect other users, the Church, avoid soapbox postings, and keep it clean.
snoscythe
Retired
Fan Level: BYU Fanatic
Prediction Group: CougarCorner

Must Read Book for Every American

Post by snoscythe »

Ddawg's post about the American Sniper movie reminded me of something I've been meaning to put on here--If you haven't read "Fearless: The Adam Brown Story" by Eric Blehm yet, you need to.

I read this book quite by accident at the beginning of the Summer, and it took me by complete surprise. You read the book knowing the ending--Adam Brown dies. Despite that, by the time you get to that scene and the final chapters of the book, it has you in tears wishing for another ending. I'm not ashamed to admit it, because since then I have bought a few copies of the book so I can loan them out--I don't want people to miss out on his legacy because they can't find or forget to look for the book. Every person I've loaned it to has had the same experience--a desperate desire to be a better person, and tears in the end.

Dead serious--it will change you like no other biography can. This is the only book that has made me cry. A story of character, humility, redemption, family, God, and in the end, love. It is a tranformational book--you cannot read it and not be touched. You cannot finish it without being humbled and inspired. You cannot put it down at the end without feeling more patriotic, more resolved to do better, and more empowered to be a better person. You finish it determined to be more like Adam Brown.

Check it out from the library--Provo has a couple of copies. If you are in Provo/Orem/Santaquin area, let me know and I'll loan you one of my copies. If neither of those work for you, pay Walmart $10 for your own copy--you won't regret it. There's a reason it has a 4.9/5 rating on Amazon after over 2,000 reviews.

If anyone else has read this, I'm interested to hear other takes as well.

Ddawg
All Star
Fan Level: BYU Fan

Re: Must Read Book for Every American

Post by Ddawg »

I am embarrassed to admit - I've never even heard of this book "Fearless", or Adam Brown. Based on Sno's recommendation - I'm ordering it today. Currently, I'm finishing up Marcus Lutterll's book "Lone Survivor". "Fearless" will be my next book project. Thx for the info Sno.

hawkwing
TV Analyst
Fan Level: BYU Blue Goggled Homer

Post by hawkwing »

I'm currently reading it. It's a great book.

coachK
Recruit

Post by coachK »

On Sno's recommendation I got this book on my kindle. I just finished last night. It was a great read. It was one of those "can't put down" books. I was actually at Bagram AF base in 2011 and watched as they loaded the fallen Seals onto the plane to send them home. I have never seen so many people, not just Americans, come together to honor someone's life. It is an experience I'll never forget.

jvquarterback
Heisman Winner

Post by jvquarterback »

I was going to read the book but now I know he dies. Thanks.

If ye love the tranquility of servitude better than the contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.
Sam Adams
mizzoucoug
Pro

Post by mizzoucoug »

I read this one a while ago. I actually prefer Lone Survivor over this one by quite a wide margin.