Veterans and Veteran's Day

Feel free to discuss appropriate non-BYU/Sports related topics here. We ask you to respect other users, the Church, avoid soapbox postings, and keep it clean.
nuk13
All-American
Fan Level: BYU Fan
Prediction Group: CougarCorner

Veterans and Veteran's Day

Post by nuk13 »

On this great day I am honoring these great vets, both the living and those passed on whether on the battlefield or since their service. My uncle Wendell served in WWI. I had 3 uncles who served in WWII as well as several men I knew. I knew some who served in Korea. My brother and several friends served in Viet Nam. I have a nephew and best friend that have been in the mess against the terrorists over in those countries harboring them.

Years ago I went to an air show that came here. As I walked around a B 17, I paused by the duel tail guns. Of a sudden, in my minds eye I felt the guy laying there seeing Faulk Wulf 190s coming at him with their noses twinkling at him. All he had between himself and the tracers curving toward him, his aircraft, his nation and free people everywhere were those 2 brownings. (incidentally invented by the the returned missionary John Browning who I also am grateful for.)

Viet Nam and these terrorists wars are controversial but it isn't the kids fault. As far as I can tell it was the politicians doing. Frankly, I'd be in favor of giving the vets most of the politicians salaries and retirement money.

To the living and dead who served, thank you, thank you, thank you! Of course this includes any of you guys who served.

As I felt a small amount of what the tail gunner felt, I was grateful but it just seemed to fall short. Then I thought if I am ever able to fully thank the Savior for His sacrifice I'll be able to thank those who gave their all for us. Until then I'll do my best to honor them and do what I am able to serve others.

scott715
TV Analyst
Fan Level: BYU Fanatic
Prediction Group: CougarCorner

Re: Veterans and Veteran's Day

Post by scott715 »

Well said