Foxcatcher Film

Feel free to discuss appropriate non-BYU/Sports related topics here. We ask you to respect other users, the Church, avoid soapbox postings, and keep it clean.
Schmoe
Retired
Fan Level: BYU Fanatic
Prediction Group: CougarCorner

Foxcatcher Film

Post by Schmoe »

Foxcatcher, a film based on the novel of a true life account of Mark Schultz, former BYU wrestling coach, is coming out. Schultz is an Olympic gold medalist and world champion, UFC fighter, and was in my ward and later my stake when I was younger. I found it odd that I had not heard about this film, which stars Steve Carrell, Channing Tatum, and Mark Ruffalo, until I saw the trailer during the BYU game yesterday (on the Pac 12 network, of all places).

My dad had told me that Mark's brother was killed, but I didn't realize at the time that it was such a crazy story.

Anyway, it made me want to read the book and wonder if there'll be any nods to the Schultzs' faith in the film (I may very well break my soft "No R films" rule to go see this one).

I'm just a regular, everyday normal guy,
I can't afford a car, I use public transportation,
I don't mind, I read till I reach my destination,
sometimes a newspaper, sometimes a book,
the money I save, this stuff is off the hook,
snoscythe
Retired

Re: Foxcatcher Film

Post by snoscythe »

I plan on seeing it. Looks to be a great movie, regardless of the BYU/Mormon connection.

Although I wouldn't be surprised to see the movie turn out to be more about DuPont's crazy than the Schultzes.

Schmoe
Retired

Post by Schmoe »

snoscythe wrote:I plan on seeing it. Looks to be a great movie, regardless of the BYU/Mormon connection.

Although I wouldn't be surprised to see the movie turn out to be more about DuPont's crazy than the Schultzes.
Yeah, I think you're right. It's almost too bad, as this was an extremely difficult time for Mark, BYU had cut their wrestling program due to Title IX crap so he was out of a job, and then his brother was murdered by someone who was supposed to be a mentor/coach to him. I think it will be interesting to see where/how the film decides to focus: if we get three storylines of three characters, or are limited to mostly one.

snoscythe
Retired

Post by snoscythe »

Schmoe wrote:
snoscythe wrote:I plan on seeing it. Looks to be a great movie, regardless of the BYU/Mormon connection.

Yeah, I think you're right. It's almost too bad, as this was an extremely difficult time for Mark, BYU had cut their wrestling program due to Title IX crap so he was out of a job, and then his brother was murdered by someone who was supposed to be a mentor/coach to him. I think it will be interesting to see where/how the film decides to focus: if we get three storylines of three characters, or are limited to mostly one.
Your timeline is a bit off, but otherwise I agree in every respect--Dave was killed in '96, while Mark was coaching at BYU (started in '94). BYU eliminated the wrestling program in '99. I know because I came to BYU with thoughts of wrestling in August of '99--two weeks before the announcement, so that pretty much sucked.

BTW--this seems like a good place to mention it: BYU Wrestling is attempting a comeback as a club organization (like rugby, lacrosse, and men's soccer). If you are a wrestling fan, I'd encourage you to get behind the blue grapplers:

http://www.byuwrestling.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
https://www.facebook.com/groups/byuwrestlingclub/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Schmoe
Retired

Post by Schmoe »

snoscythe wrote:
Schmoe wrote:

Your timeline is a bit off, but otherwise I agree in every respect--Dave was killed in '96, while Mark was coaching at BYU (started in '94). BYU eliminated the wrestling program in '99. I know because I came to BYU with thoughts of wrestling in August of '99--two weeks before the announcement, so that pretty much sucked.
That's right, I forgot that the murder came first; still, just an awful several years to go through.

scott715
TV Analyst

Post by scott715 »

Did not know that they have a club now. Good for them. Maybe some day it will come back as an NCAA sport.

Ddawg
All Star
Fan Level: BYU Fan

Post by Ddawg »

Schmoe wrote:
..... I may very well break my soft "No R films" rule to go see this one.
If you want to see a great movie (and break that soft no "R" rating) - go see Fury. A great movie. Wowzi. It is done very well. Brad Pitt and his tank crew do a tremendous job. It accurately portrays the challenges the inferior American Sherman tank had vs. the superior German Tiger tank - and much more. I give it 2 thumbs up.
Last edited by Ddawg on Wed Dec 03, 2014 10:38 am, edited 1 time in total.

hawkwing
TV Analyst
Fan Level: BYU Blue Goggled Homer

Post by hawkwing »

Ddawg wrote:
Schmoe wrote:
..... I may very well break my soft "No R films" rule to go see this one.
If you want to see an great movie (and break that soft no "R" rating) - go see Fury. A great movie. Wowzi. It is done very well. Brad Pitt and his tank crew do a tremendous job. It accurately portrays the challenges the inferior American Sherman tank had vs. the superior German Tiger tank - and much more. I give it 2 thumbs up.
Meh, I thought it was a little lacking. Still good, but not as great as it could have been, in my humble opinion.

Ddawg
All Star
Fan Level: BYU Fan

Post by Ddawg »

I guess I'm a "soft touch." I enjoyed it. Toss in some mud, blood and the smell of gun powder - I'm all in. ;)

Back to Foxcatcher. I plan on seeing it. I think the focus will be the looney/crazy angle. Hollywood likes odd and crazy. Spices the screen up.
(Sorry - not to hijack the thread.)

Schmoe
Retired

Post by Schmoe »

http://www.thedailybeast.com/articles/2 ... ia=FB_Page" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Wow, maybe I won't go see it.