Video Games

Feel free to discuss appropriate non-BYU/Sports related topics here. We ask you to respect other users, the Church, avoid soapbox postings, and keep it clean.
byufan4ever
Heisman Winner
Fan Level: BYU Fanatic
Prediction Group: CougarCorner

Re: Video Games

Post by byufan4ever »

Brayden Green wrote:
byufan4ever wrote:I know I shouldn't feel this way, but I feel awkward or even embarrassed to admit to my real life Mormon friends that I'm a gamer. I haven't shared my blog on my Facebook account yet. It's like it's taboo to be a Mormon Gamer.
This is an interesting discussion. I am of the opinion that the term "gamer" is going to go away, and die, and that we should anticipate that day and let it happen. We are the first couple generations (depending on your age slot) that grew up with Home consoles. As video games become more of a medium and normalized, and the first generation of real gamers grows up and continues that legacy, we will see a lot less of a divide between society and this relatively new medium of entertainment and learning.

Examples: If someone loves watching movies, they dont refer to themselves as "movie watchers." They are just people that watch movies. If you love board games, you don't refer to yourself as a "boardgamer." You are just a persOn that likes boardgames. As the industry grows and continues it normalizes itself into society, to put it quite frank, we are the first ones that have figured out how good of an art form video games are and we are growing along with the industry, but we won't be the only ones.

[ Post made via Mobile Device ] Image
Yeah, I was born in '80 so the NES and SNES had a huge impact on me as a kid! I don't know if this is the reason why, but my parents were converts so perhaps they were a little more relax in regards to our home entertainment. My wife, however, grew up in a family with pioneer heritage and in her house video games were basically banned. So, a bit of the struggle I have is deciding as a family how much video game time is appropriate. For me, it's part of my leisure time and how I relax and is good bonding moments with my kids. My wife thinks we're addicted and turning into zombies.

More back to what you said. With my church friends I have no problem professing my love for sports and talking sports all church long with them. But I don't bring up video games. One of the youth knows I like video games because he's been in my house and has seen my PC gaming machine. Sometimes at church he'll start talking to me about video games and I can tell that the other adults are surprised that I know what he's talking about. But I guess I can relate to him (and his generation) better than the other youth leaders...

"life is 10% what happens to me and 90% how I react to it." - Charles Swindoll
NCAA Tournament > empty wins
Schmoe
Retired

Post by Schmoe »

I grew up in a home that had pioneer heritage, and we had every Nintendo console as soon as it came out (with the exception of the Virtua-boy, man was that lame...), and, while I don't game much anymore, my brothers are both big gamers, as is my mother.

I'm just a regular, everyday normal guy,
I can't afford a car, I use public transportation,
I don't mind, I read till I reach my destination,
sometimes a newspaper, sometimes a book,
the money I save, this stuff is off the hook,
byufan4ever
Heisman Winner

Post by byufan4ever »

My giveaway for a free 3DS game ends this Saturday! Check out the details here:

https://chrisspeerswrites.wordpress.com ... ideo-game/

snoscythe
Retired

Post by snoscythe »

As to the evolution of the monniker "gamer," people who play board games actually do call themselves "boardgamers" and the more uptight we-were-here-first types just call themselves "gamers" and call people who play video games "video gamers".

People who watch an inordinate amount of movies call themselves "movie buffs", "film buffs", or the ever elitest hipster "cinephiles".

Gamer is like those terms in that it doesn't apply to the casual, here-and-there player/participant. It designates the hobbyist, the fanatic, the regular. I play video games once a month, if that. I am not a gamer, at best a "casual gamer". The term "gamer" will never go away, but the negative connotations associated with it will be tempered with time as more of society has exposure to people who are gamers and learn that, 'hey, they're actually pretty normal.' The term will still be used, but not as disparagingly.

Ungoy
All-American

Post by Ungoy »

I've been a gamer my whole life, from the old Atari setups, to NES, Sega Genesis and Game Gear, Wii, Xbox360, but mostly PC (over 2 decades of PC gaming). I've always been a gamer, and don't see that changing.

I'd still like to pick up a PS4 but haven't had the cash to do so, with other projects and medical bills (mostly medical bills) taking up all my money right now.

byufan4ever
Heisman Winner

Post by byufan4ever »

I've sent PMs to a few people but only heard back from one so I"ll post it here. I've been invited by Blizzard to participate in the closed beta for Heroes of the Storm. I've been given some keys in order to form a "team." I have 3 keys left. If you love PC games and would like to join us reply here. First come first serve.

Mars
Retired

Post by Mars »

byufan4ever wrote:I've sent PMs to a few people but only heard back from one so I"ll post it here. I've been invited by Blizzard to participate in the closed beta for Heroes of the Storm. I've been given some keys in order to form a "team." I have 3 keys left. If you love PC games and would like to join us reply here. First come first serve.
Hmm. Yeah, I'd be in. Not too tough, as I'm already a Hearthstone guy and I've done League of Legends in the past.

Mars Cauthon, Prince of the Cougars!
Resident board douchebag.
https://twitter.com/#!/eldermars
byufan4ever
Heisman Winner

Post by byufan4ever »

Mars wrote:
byufan4ever wrote:I've sent PMs to a few people but only heard back from one so I"ll post it here. I've been invited by Blizzard to participate in the closed beta for Heroes of the Storm. I've been given some keys in order to form a "team." I have 3 keys left. If you love PC games and would like to join us reply here. First come first serve.
Hmm. Yeah, I'd be in. Not too tough, as I'm already a Hearthstone guy and I've done League of Legends in the past.
I sent you a PM with your beta key. So that makes 4: me, you, Bayden Green from here, and my brother. I have one key left.