Video Games

Feel free to discuss appropriate non-BYU/Sports related topics here. We ask you to respect other users, the Church, avoid soapbox postings, and keep it clean.
byufan4ever
Heisman Winner
Fan Level: BYU Fanatic
Prediction Group: CougarCorner

Video Games

Post by byufan4ever »

Along with BYU Sports, video games is one of passions and I've recently started blogging about it. If anyone is interested here is my blog:

https://chrisspeerswrites.wordpress.com/

Also, if anyone is on Steam and likes to play co-op, but don't like all of the foul language that comes with playing with random people, send me a PM and we can link up and also check out the LDS Gamers group on Steam.

"life is 10% what happens to me and 90% how I react to it." - Charles Swindoll
NCAA Tournament > empty wins
hawkwing
TV Analyst
Fan Level: BYU Blue Goggled Homer

Re: Video Games

Post by hawkwing »

I enjoy video games as well, so I'll check out your site.

Brayden Green
Over-Achiever

Post by Brayden Green »

I'm a big fan.

Psn: ibleedbyublue
Xone: AtlasUncharted

[ Post made via Mobile Device ] Image

When Brayden posts Kalani be like:

hawkwing
TV Analyst
Fan Level: BYU Blue Goggled Homer

Post by hawkwing »

PSN: under_hawkwing

jvquarterback
Heisman Winner
Fan Level: BYU Fan

Post by jvquarterback »

I thought this was a post about all the times video games were brought up in conference and you were going to make me feel even worse about playing space invaders for 10 hours a day.

If ye love the tranquility of servitude better than the contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.
Sam Adams
Brayden Green
Over-Achiever

Post by Brayden Green »

As an avid video game player, (and former Gamestop manager) I cringe everytime people bring up "video game violence" as an endemic problem to our society. I mean, you have an ESRB rating on these games restricting kids from purchasing and playing these games. At some point you have to blame the parents that are buying these games without knowing anything about them, and then leaving their children alone and unsupervised for HOURS at a time playing them. I mean, a kid playing a game like Journey or a teen playing the Last of Us under proper care and guidance could be very special, growing moments for the kids/teens playing them.

byufan4ever
Heisman Winner

Post by byufan4ever »

I know I shouldn't feel this way, but I feel awkward or even embarrassed to admit to my real life Mormon friends that I'm a gamer. I haven't shared my blog on my Facebook account yet. It's like it's taboo to be a Mormon Gamer.

SpiffCoug
TV Analyst

Post by SpiffCoug »

I actually look forward to the time when my two boys are old enough to play "real" video games with me. I enjoy playing the Lego games and button mashing games like DC Comics v Mortal Kombat. But I don't see why my boys and I can't create memories working together on a HALO campaign together or completing a mission on Call of Duty or going on a raid in World of Warcraft.

BYU PER W/L Since 1972: 432-76 (.850)
(8.4x
YDS)+(330xTD)+(100xCOM)-(200xINT)
..................ATT
SpiffCoug's posts are BB-8 approved!
byufan4ever
Heisman Winner

Post by byufan4ever »

I'm giving away a free video game. Check out my blog for details!

Brayden Green
Over-Achiever

Post by Brayden Green »

byufan4ever wrote:I know I shouldn't feel this way, but I feel awkward or even embarrassed to admit to my real life Mormon friends that I'm a gamer. I haven't shared my blog on my Facebook account yet. It's like it's taboo to be a Mormon Gamer.
This is an interesting discussion. I am of the opinion that the term "gamer" is going to go away, and die, and that we should anticipate that day and let it happen. We are the first couple generations (depending on your age slot) that grew up with Home consoles. As video games become more of a medium and normalized, and the first generation of real gamers grows up and continues that legacy, we will see a lot less of a divide between society and this relatively new medium of entertainment and learning.

Examples: If someone loves watching movies, they dont refer to themselves as "movie watchers." They are just people that watch movies. If you love board games, you don't refer to yourself as a "boardgamer." You are just a persOn that likes boardgames. As the industry grows and continues it normalizes itself into society, to put it quite frank, we are the first ones that have figured out how good of an art form video games are and we are growing along with the industry, but we won't be the only ones.