Opinions on quartz countertops?

Feel free to discuss appropriate non-BYU/Sports related topics here. We ask you to respect other users, the Church, avoid soapbox postings, and keep it clean.
Ddawg
All Star
Fan Level: BYU Fan
Prediction Group: CougarCorner

Re: Opinions on quartz countertops?

Post by Ddawg »

scott715 wrote:Video please!
I did find a video of 3 Yewt Alumni doing their thing in heels. ;)

Last edited by Ddawg on Sat Jul 18, 2015 11:59 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Ddawg
All Star

Post by Ddawg »

hawkwing wrote:
Ddawg wrote:About 12 years ago we went with natural marble. We've never had a problem. Hold up well - to massive abuse from wild kids. We've been happy with marble. After every BYU win I put a lamp shade on my head and do a victory dance wearing 5" stiletto's. It's a thing of beauty.
8)
The reason I thought quartz over marble was because I didn't want to have to seal marble every year.
I get it. We sealed our marble 1x, 12 years ago, have not since. Never had any problem. But, quartz is probably superior. I'm sure it's great.

Brayden Green
Over-Achiever
Fan Level: BYU Fanatic

Post by Brayden Green »

I did countertops for about 10 years. I have answers, but they are lengthy and unwieldy to type. Message me if you are still looking/interested. I don't do them anymore but I know good people that do and what options you might want to go for.

[ Post made via Mobile Device ] Image

When Brayden posts Kalani be like:

Schmoe
Retired

Post by Schmoe »

I once installed quartz countertops...but my wife took them for granite.

I'm just a regular, everyday normal guy,
I can't afford a car, I use public transportation,
I don't mind, I read till I reach my destination,
sometimes a newspaper, sometimes a book,
the money I save, this stuff is off the hook,
hawkwing
TV Analyst
Fan Level: BYU Blue Goggled Homer

Post by hawkwing »

Brayden Green wrote:I did countertops for about 10 years. I have answers, but they are lengthy and unwieldy to type. Message me if you are still looking/interested. I don't do them anymore but I know good people that do and what options you might want to go for.

I would love to get your thoughts on it.

sage
BLUEshirt

Post by sage »

hawkwing wrote:
Brayden Green wrote:I did countertops for about 10 years. I have answers, but they are lengthy and unwieldy to type. Message me if you are still looking/interested. I don't do them anymore but I know good people that do and what options you might want to go for.

Do share. Even if it is just the highlights. Good knowledge is very useful.

Brayden Green
Over-Achiever

Post by Brayden Green »

sage wrote:
hawkwing wrote:

Do share. Even if it is just the highlights. Good knowledge is very useful.
laminate = cheapest cpuntertop. $5 to 20 a square foot range. Doesn't add any value to the home, and can take away from overall value of home in certain mid tier and upper pricepoints.

"Solid Surface" (Corian) countertops. 30-50 dollar range. I wouldn't touch these with a 10 foot pole. They scratch ALL the time, the "seamlessness" goes away in a matter of years. They come in pieces to your home, and they burn the glue for the seams into the actual product, so it seems seamless on the surface, but there are seams underneath, and they will pop as the counters move and shift over time. Soon the "seamless" countertops look like pretty much any Utah sidewalk with a large undergrowth of trees. Too expensive for not enough value added back, and doesn't hold their value.

I will throw stainless steel countertops in with the "Avoid" category. They look good, but can be sharp on the edges, can warp when the glue underneath stops holding them, and - most important to me - can dent if a can or something drops on them. I think they are beautiful, but not functional or practical.

Concrete counterops. This is a hit and miss, (but mostly miss) category for me. I have seen some BEAUTIFUL custom projects done in poured concrete over the years. I have also seen a ton of people spend good money on something that breaks and doesn't come out right. The concept of concrete countertops is that they make a mold from your kitchen and then they take that to their shop and pour a stylized concrete resin into your mold. Here is the catch for me, and it seems a conflict of interest for the companies involved. The longer your countertop sets in the mold, undisturbed, the stronger it is (provided they mixed it right, and there is a good bond with the ingredients - color and other ground objects added as a filler and bondable material, normally glass or stone, or something for the concrete to hold on to, known as aggregate). The conflict comes that they want to get your product out the door and stop taking up space in their warehouse, collect their money, and move on to the next job. So, the best thing for you isn't the best thing for their business, and most companies that I am familiar with ride on the "skimping" side to keep the lights on. With prices approaching granite and quartz, it isn't worth the gamble, to me. But I *have* seen some very impressive, artistic stuff over the years. Being able to create your own mold and pour can really lend itself to true artisans in the right setting.

I know that didn't answer your questions, but I'm posting because I've got to run and don't want to lose this post. I'll follow up with granite and quartz maybe later tonight.

When Brayden posts Kalani be like:

BroncoBot
Retired

Post by BroncoBot »

I've been messing around with building my own concrete countertops. Have a friend who has done his own and they turned out nice. Brayden is absolutely right though. concrete can be very hit or miss. Nice thing about doing it yourself is it is very inexpensive. If it doesn't turn out right, just bust it up and mix up some more quikcrete.