Church Re-evaluating Relationship with BSA

Feel free to discuss appropriate non-BYU/Sports related topics here. We ask you to respect other users, the Church, avoid soapbox postings, and keep it clean.
snoscythe
Retired
Fan Level: BYU Fanatic
Prediction Group: CougarCorner

Re: Church Re-evaluating Relationship with BSA

Post by snoscythe »

"Do you affiliate with any group or individual whose teachings or practices are contrary to or oppose those accepted by The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints?"

Yes, but only because of my calling?

hawkwing
TV Analyst
Fan Level: BYU Blue Goggled Homer

Post by hawkwing »

snoscythe wrote:"Do you affiliate with any group or individual whose teachings or practices are contrary to or oppose those accepted by The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints?"

Yes, but only because of my calling?
:lol: :lol: :lol: :~(

billbillbillbill
BLUEshirt

Post by billbillbillbill »

I have not hid the fact that I am a big fan of the scouting program. I am relieved by today's announcement but sad to see the reaction from so many.
"Do you affiliate with any group or individual whose teachings or practices are contrary to or oppose those accepted by The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints?"
I don't see the contradiction that keeps popping up. I vote as a citizen to a country that allows abortion and gay marriage. I work for a company that by law can't discriminate.
The Boy Scout group I belong to is associated with the LDS church. I think this is a dumb argument.

Cougarfan87
All-American

Post by Cougarfan87 »

Schmoe wrote:http://www.ksl.com/?sid=36178007&nid=14 ... ng-program

Must say I'm a bit disappointed with this. But I will pray for understanding and lean on the wisdom of our leaders who have made the decision.
My guess is that pulling away at this time would send the wrong message to our fellow church members who struggle with same sex attraction. If you think of it from their perspective, they are told that so long as they remain celibate, their attraction does not make them unworthy, but is more properly seen as a temptation and a challenge they must deal with. If the Church left scouting merely because the national organization allowed gay leaders, even when the Church was not going to be required to have gay Scoutmasters, then our own gay celibate members might feel the church doesn't really value them as much as they claim to. But I know the Church leaders and especially He that stands at the head of the Church values all individuals, whatever our current struggles may be.

If/when BSA tells the LDS Church that it must allow openly gay (meaning not celibate) scout leaders in its own chartered troops, then the Church will have no other choice but to withdraw from Scouting. Now I have to get some work done so I can go to my son's Court of Honor tonight. Peace.
Last edited by Cougarfan87 on Wed Aug 26, 2015 8:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Ninety-five percent of the lawyers make the other five percent of us look bad.
hypercoug
BLUEshirt
Fan Level: BYU Fan

Post by hypercoug »

Leaving the BSA would have been a dumb move for the church. As is, it is something that actually means something in the world outside. A kid who earns his Eagle scout can put that on university applications, job applications, political credentials, etc. Even if a kid doesn't earn Eagle, even participation in boy scouts is a good thing. If the church dropped scouting and replaced it with the "Captain Moroni" award or something, it'd be meaningless outside the church context.

I haven't attended church in more than 5 years, and have no plans to ever return to church activity (from a religious standpoint). Yet, I still send my kids to scouts, support the organization, and actually I am the bear cub scout leader in my ward. If the church dropped scouts, I would immediately send my son to some other nondenominational troop instead. I think this sort of thing probably factored into the church's decision as well. Dropping the BSA would have had some unintended consequences that would have been very negative to the church. In my ward (I live in Draper), there are 8 kids registered in the bear den. 3 are baptized members, 5 (including my son) are unbaptized members of record. There are 4 kids that regularly attend - 2 from each group. I am sure many other wards have similar demographics.

According to the Church's statement a few weeks ago, "The Church has always welcomed all boys to its Scouting units regardless of sexual orientation. However, the admission of openly gay leaders is inconsistent with the doctrines of the Church..." This statement makes no sense, considering gays are allowed to be worthy members in good standing and hold callings (so long as they are not "practicing" their gayness). So why make a different rule for scout leaders, as opposed to any other callings? A gay person is no more likely to be a pedophile than a straight person. Further, kids are most at risk of sexual molestation through their associations with straight male family members. Not saying all possible precautions shouldn't be taken to prevent child abuse via scouting - but saying REGARDLESS of who the leaders are, all precautions must be made and all safety procedures followed. Some of the most vile predators out there are very hard to spot (think that seminary dude from utah county a few years back). The message being sent to gay youth is also very damaging - the idea that they are fully welcome to participate in scouting until they turn 18, then they are automatically kicked out and prevented from any further participation just because they are gay? That is wrong. Period.

BoiseBYU
All Star
Fan Level: BYU Fan

Post by BoiseBYU »

Sigh. Friends of scouting. Anew.

vancouvercougar
All-American

Post by vancouvercougar »

I believe that Robert Baden-Powell was inspired of God to create the Boy Scouts. The moral education to young men over the last 100 years has been remarkable, and it has been a great benefit to our country and the world.

We have to think about what we can offer the Boy Scouts in their mission to boys all over the country.

Schmoe
Retired

Post by Schmoe »

Again, it's not on me to kick against the pricks when it comes to church leaders' decisions, but a lot of the theories posted here seem to boil down to "Well, the church is so worried about alienating less-active, non-active, non-members, and a fractional percent of active members, so they're going to risk alienating lots of other members." Like I said, I'm sure there's a reason and I'll pray for understanding and I do support the decision of church leaders, but I don't buy anything that's been said in this thread as the reason for it.

I'm just a regular, everyday normal guy,
I can't afford a car, I use public transportation,
I don't mind, I read till I reach my destination,
sometimes a newspaper, sometimes a book,
the money I save, this stuff is off the hook,
scott715
TV Analyst

Post by scott715 »

Maybe its to a good influence within BSA. Who knows what direction they'll take if we left.

CAFB_04-12
All-American

Post by CAFB_04-12 »

Cougarfan87 wrote: If/when BSA tells the LDS Church that it must allow openly gay (meaning not celibate) scout leaders in its own chartered troops...
It won't be the BSA that dictates that. The federal government will, one day, however, require all tax exempt organizations to not discriminate on the basis of sexual orientation. Someone, somewhere, for some reason, will sue the Church (or most likely a different church, but the court ruling will apply equally the the LDS Church) and there you have it.