Pretty Good Book on dealing with Intergenerational conflict

Feel free to discuss appropriate non-BYU/Sports related topics here. We ask you to respect other users, the Church, avoid soapbox postings, and keep it clean.
Cougarfan87
All-American
Fan Level: BYU Blue Goggled Homer
Prediction Group: CougarCorner

Pretty Good Book on dealing with Intergenerational conflict

Post by Cougarfan87 »

After the short poll I did on how people see internet use in the work place (and it was certainly unscientific), I thought I would recommend a book that speaks to the 12 areas in work that different generations see differently, with explanations about why they see them differently and tips to work out the differences. The book is entitled Sticking Points, by Haydn Shaw.

The four generations Mr. Shaw covers are the Traditionalists (think Pre-WWII), the Baby Boomers, Generation X, and the Millenials. The twelve work areas that are covered are Communication, Decision Making, Dress Code, Feedback, Fun at Work, Knowledge Transfer, Loyalty, Meetings, Policies, Respect, Training, and Work Ethic.
My favorite part of the book was probably the chapters on Ghost Stories which does a brief overview of the period of time each generation was raised and how that impacts how they see the world of work. Of course the book focuses on generalizations, but they are not unhealthy generalizations.

I thought it was a pretty good book, though I wish there would have been a little more written on the work ethic section. It was the tease at the start of the book that I was waiting for, and when I got to that chapter, I wanted a little more substance. Nevertheless, if you are a supervisor or just someone who is having some struggles at work with those of a different generation, this book might be helpful. And no, I am not a paid endorser.

Ninety-five percent of the lawyers make the other five percent of us look bad.