Fun Nebraska Facts

Feel free to discuss appropriate non-BYU/Sports related topics here. We ask you to respect other users, the Church, avoid soapbox postings, and keep it clean.
BoiseBYU
All Star
Fan Level: BYU Fan
Prediction Group: CougarCorner

Fun Nebraska Facts

Post by BoiseBYU »

In honor of our hosts, and to expand our cultural edification, here are some fun Nebraska facts:

1. Nebraska was once called "The Great American Desert". Now it is just known as “The American Desert.”
2. The state nickname used to be the "Tree Planter's State," but was changed in 1945 after all the trees were chopped down to the "Cornhusker State".
3. State motto: Equality before the law, (except for the football players).
4. Nebraska is the only state in the union with a unicameral legislature. The rest have two houses of chocolate.
5. Nebraska's Chimney rock was the most often mentioned landmark in journal entries by travelers on the Oregon Trail. This is largely due to the fact that it is the only possible landmark for miles and miles and miles.
6. The 911 system of emergency communications, now used nationwide, was developed and first used in Lincoln, Nebraska. Something had to be done to deal with the football players.
7. Chevyland USA near Elm Creek, Nebraska is the only museum dedicated to a single line of cars. You’ll never guess which.
8. Arbor Day was started in Nebraska City in 1872 by Sterling Morton to encourage tree planting. Sadly it did not catch on in his home state.
9. The National Liar’s Hall of Fame is located in Dannebrog, Nebraska. They say it is a can’t miss place, but I think they’re fibbing.
10. South Bend, Nebraska serves more testicles than anywhere in the world at its 'Testicle Festival'. They have a real ball I’m sure.

KittyCathy
Gray Shirt
Fan Level: BYU Fan
Prediction Group: CougarCorner

Re: Fun Nebraska Facts

Post by KittyCathy »

LOL :D This is why I love Nebraska :D