Trump a disaster for the Nation and Republicans

Feel free to discuss appropriate non-BYU/Sports related topics here. We ask you to respect other users, the Church, avoid soapbox postings, and keep it clean.
hawkwing
TV Analyst
Fan Level: BYU Blue Goggled Homer
Prediction Group: CougarCorner

Re: Trump a disaster for the Nation and Republicans

Post by hawkwing »

SpiffCoug wrote:#NeverTrump means Never Trump. Never. I'll trade four years of Hillary for Trump not killing conservatism.

http://www.dailywire.com/news/5293/what ... en-shapiro
Great article. I hope and pray that all conservatives read and heed it's message.

BroncoBot
Retired
Fan Level: BYU Fanatic

Post by BroncoBot »

hawkwing wrote:
SpiffCoug wrote:#NeverTrump means Never Trump. Never. I'll trade four years of Hillary for Trump not killing conservatism.

http://www.dailywire.com/news/5293/what ... en-shapiro
Great article. I hope and pray that all conservatives read and heed it's message.
A lot of speculation and fear mongering. IMHO. And I repeat, I don't like Trump. I dislike the idea of Hillary even more.

What does conservatism even mean anymore? A lot of those "conservatives" also started the "neverRomney" train simply because he was Mormon. Forget conservatism vs liberalism. It's a fallacy. Trump, Cruz, Sanders, Hillary. All idiots in my book.

Politics as usual this go-around.

SpiffCoug
TV Analyst

Post by SpiffCoug »

Because it's not conservatism vs liberalism. It's government statism vs individual determinism. The Democrat party and GOP leaders and their off-shoots like the Donald believe the government should be the most powerful force in a nation as long as they're the ones in charge of the government, its growth and its domination of the citizenry.

BYU PER W/L Since 1972: 432-76 (.850)
(8.4x
YDS)+(330xTD)+(100xCOM)-(200xINT)
..................ATT
SpiffCoug's posts are BB-8 approved!
snoscythe
Retired

Post by snoscythe »

Thought this juxtaposition of Trump's own words with Paul Ryan's is worth a listen (starts at 1:00):

https://soundcloud.com/glennbeck/beck-b ... gop-values

hawkwing
TV Analyst
Fan Level: BYU Blue Goggled Homer

Post by hawkwing »

BoiseBYU
All Star
Fan Level: BYU Fan

Post by BoiseBYU »

Trump's reference last week (from prepared remarks) to the first responders on "7/11" made my day.

BlueK
Senior

Post by BlueK »

SpiffCoug wrote:Bottom line. Trump is telling GOP voters what he thinks they want to hear so they will support him and vote for him. Then when he wins, he will cast them and their opinions aside and governs has The Donald sees fit. And what The Donald sees fit is what will best for The Donald. And he will begin to use the full force of government to punish those who oppose him and reward those who bend the knee and kiss the ring.
Agreed. In his mind I think he's really running for the office of supreme dictator. If he wins he will make Obama and Clinton look like grand defenders of the Constitution. Trump is the US version of Hugo Chavez.

Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble...
BlueK
Senior

Post by BlueK »

The more I've read about Trump's history the more I believe if it weren't for having been born into lots of money he wouldn't be who he is. He'd more likely just be another anonymous thug living in and out of our prison system.

Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble...
BoiseBYU
All Star
Fan Level: BYU Fan

Post by BoiseBYU »

SpiffCoug wrote:Bottom line. Trump is telling GOP voters what he thinks they want to hear so they will support him and vote for him. Then when he wins, he will cast them and their opinions aside and governs has The Donald sees fit. And what The Donald sees fit is what will best for The Donald. And he will begin to use the full force of government to punish those who oppose him and reward those who bend the knee and kiss the ring.
LDS members should be worried. As a group, LDS are more opposed to Trump than many other types of groups. Imagine what Trump would do to punish us--Dept of Education put the screws on BYU accreditation? Dept. of State slow down visas/passports for missionaries? IRS investigate Church non profit status? The list goes on and on....

BlueK
Senior

Post by BlueK »

BoiseBYU wrote:
LDS members should be worried. As a group, LDS are more opposed to Trump than many other types of groups. Imagine what Trump would do to punish us--Dept of Education put the screws on BYU accreditation? Dept. of State slow down visas/passports for missionaries? IRS investigate Church non profit status? The list goes on and on....
Yeah, you very well could be correct. In this country we are accustomed to the conservative vs. liberal dichotomy. It's predictable. Recently it has gotten more toxic, which is something that turns people off. The thing with Trump is that he exists completely outside of that. He has no guiding political ideology or philosophy. He's just an opportunist who will temporarily latch onto anything that might get him a vote. He is like a third world political figure who is in it to enrich himself and gain power. He is going to be completely unpredicatable. That's pretty scary. Other countries have voted for leaders like this before with disastrous results.

Now we still do have a system that can hold him back a little bit, especially on domestic policy, but I don't want a radically unpredictable, possibly borderline crazy person handling the nuclear codes. Also, most of his anti-trade economic ideas fall in line with the worst of pro-labor union ideas that would severely slow the economy if passed.