BYU Students Investigated for REPORTING Rape

Feel free to discuss appropriate non-BYU/Sports related topics here. We ask you to respect other users, the Church, avoid soapbox postings, and keep it clean.
Cougarfan87
All-American
Fan Level: BYU Blue Goggled Homer
Prediction Group: CougarCorner

Re: BYU Students Investigated for REPORTING Rape

Post by Cougarfan87 »

Schmoe wrote:
Cougarfan87 wrote:...I would likewise not want to discourage a sexual assault investigation to avoid an HC investigation.
I guess that's the chance one takes when one does something wrong -- that if something bad happens to you in the course of that, then you've put yourself in a tough spot. It's not the honor code office's fault you put yourself in that position, it's yours.
To be clear, I am not saying the HC office should not ever look into those issues when sexual assault is in play. I am saying that there should not be an automatic reporting from the Title IX office. Contrary to popular myth, the HC does not require the students to Narc on each other...it only requires them to encourage one another to live the honor code. Likewise, the Title IX office should not be required to narc when an incident occurred. Now, if another student or witness wants to raise the issue, so be it. I have no issue with the HC investigating a student where the investigation comes from a different source then the victim reporting sexual assault. I believe that strikes the balance of not discouraging sexual assault reporting and not encouraging false sexual assault allegations.

Ninety-five percent of the lawyers make the other five percent of us look bad.