Would you vote for a Trump / Sanders ticket?

Feel free to discuss appropriate non-BYU/Sports related topics here. We ask you to respect other users, the Church, avoid soapbox postings, and keep it clean.

Would you vote for Donald Trump / Bernie Sanders

No, Never Trump under any circumstances
63%
No, I was leaning against Trump and this would solidify that
19%
No, I would have voted for Trump, but couldn't with Sanders on the ticket
19%
Yes, I am a firm supporter and would vote for Trump no matter who he picks for VP
No votes
Yes, I was slightly leaning Trump, with Sanders that solidifies my support
No votes
Yes, I would not have voted Trump but will with Sanders as VP
No votes

Total votes: 16

Ddawg
All Star
Fan Level: BYU Fan
Prediction Group: CougarCorner

Re: Would you vote for a Trump / Sanders ticket?

Post by Ddawg »

Mars wrote:
hawkwing wrote: I wouldn't know how the MSM casts Trump supporters, I don't indulge in it. I'm talking about how I, and everyone I know casts Trump supporters. There are a few rare exceptions, I'll grant you that. But the question doesn't change regardless of if you call Trump supporters angry/fringe or uppercrust/socially elite. The question remains the same. Would you vote for this hypothetical pairing or not.
Uneducated
Poor
Angry
White
The one thing about Donald Trump you can take to the bank - all the kings horses and all the kings and all the political pundits have been wrong in their assessments and and predictions about Trump. Repeatedly wrong, wrong, wrong. I would simply urge caution before using liberal propaganda talking points to disparage the peoples GOP presumptive nominee and his supporters. Remember, those Trump supporters are GOP folks. Do we really want to look down our noses and demean them?

Uneducated - Is your definition of "uneducated" not having a college education? A lot of good, hard working people don't have college degrees. A lot of our Founding Fathers lacked formal education (George Washington). Are you disparaging our Founding Fathers? How about Joseph Smith? He lacked formal education also.
Poor - Making less than ? Are you sure?
Angry - ? About what? Is that anger justified?
White - This wrong? At what point did being born white become inherently immoral?

So, being a blue collar worker, not having a college education, being white, and upset that the federal govt. has forgotten them - is bad? Our Founding Fathers were white, many lacked college educations (George Washington had no college, and they were upset with how their govt. (England) was performing and treating them.

As a matter of fact - our federal govt. leaders today are far more educated than our Founding Fathers. Yet out national leaders today underperform at a tragic rate.

Sorry - you're buying into the Dimocrat and MSM myths about Trump and his supporters. Sad.

The reality is -
1. True, blue collar workers do make up a large part of Trump's coalition (not a bad thing to be supported by hard working, tax paying Americans). But, Trump is also doing very well with GOP folks who have college degrees. In 6 of the primaries, Trump has been #1 with college educated voters. #2 in 6 other primaries with with college degree voters. And only fell out of the top 2 spots with college educated voters in Oklahoma.

2. The average Trump supporter makes $72,000 a year. Solidly middle class.
"With some careful statistical work, Silver shows that the family income of the typical Trump voter is $72,000."
http://time.com/money/4318531/trump-mid ... ss-voters/

3. Angry? Perhaps justifiably so -
"The voters who made Trump happen aren’t, by and large, those who have been chewed up and spit out by the death of factory jobs. They are people who thought they’d met the requirements for success in the contemporary economy, and still find themselves losing ground.

This became especially clear to me reporting for Money.com on the controversy over visas for foreign tech workers. One of the most prominent voices in that debate was a former Disney programmer named Leo Perrero, who was laid off from his job when Disney hired cheaper foreign replacement workers.

Perrero, a Trump supporter who spoke at Trump’s rallies in Florida and Alabama, looks on paper like just the kind of person who should be reasonably successful. He has a college degree, a background in technology, and lives in Orlando, Fla., a growing metro area. And yet what the economy has dealt him has been largely humiliation—a sense of shame from being fired and replaced, an experience he painfully detailed in Congressional testimony."

More on those "uneducated" Trump supporters -
"Now incomes for those who did get an education have stayed flat for some 15 years. The college degree was once the bright line divider between those with prospects and those without. No longer.

If we really want to understand how Trump came to win the nomination, that’s a key economic fact to wrestle with. For much of the primary season, Trump was dismissed as the candidate of the deeply disaffected and uneducated. As the campaign season went on, that became less and less supportable. In many states from Super Tuesday onwards, Trump won handily among GOP voters with college degrees. Blue collar workers may have made up Trump’s most devoted supporters, but it took a lot of $70,000-a-year professionals to get him to Cleveland."

More on those "angry" Trump supporters -
"Trump’s appeal is certainly strongest for those who feel like their expectations have been disappointed, their hopes circumscribed, and their financial state made precarious—people who feel shame that they don’t have the money to retire or to support their families. The hard part to get your head around is how much of the middle class that turns out to be."

BlueK
Senior
Fan Level: BYU Fanatic

Post by BlueK »

Mars wrote:
hawkwing wrote: I wouldn't know how the MSM casts Trump supporters, I don't indulge in it. I'm talking about how I, and everyone I know casts Trump supporters. There are a few rare exceptions, I'll grant you that. But the question doesn't change regardless of if you call Trump supporters angry/fringe or uppercrust/socially elite. The question remains the same. Would you vote for this hypothetical pairing or not.
Uneducated
Poor
Angry
White
It's not just the media making this up though. It's based on exit polling which has been consistent state by state. It's not good or bad, it just is. I suppose Trump voters may not like being grouped with lower education or lower income, but that's what the research shows. Trump says things that appeal to those who don't like the way things are, and in our economy that tends to be those who are a little less educated and lower income. The economy of the last 15 years has been rough on those folks. I understand the frustration, but I don't like Trump's answers. I think if he did everything he says he wants to do the results would make things even worse for those who like him. The irony of this whole thing is that Trump is really the prime example of the crony capitalist who is exactly what his voters are angry at.

Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble...
BoiseBYU
All Star

Post by BoiseBYU »

SpiffCoug wrote:Record turnout in states that will matter?

Hooray! 500,000 MORE people voted in the GOP primary in NY in 2016 than voted in the GOP primary in 2012! Awesome! The GOP voters are excited to vote for Trump.

Guess what? Trump still garnered about 250,000 fewer votes than Bernie Sanders and more than 500,000 votes behind Hillary. So he's not putting NY into play.

Trump won fewer votes in Florida than Hillary did as well. I don't see what Blue states Trump can turn Red. But there are several Red states that I can see Hillary turning Blue.
I agree and more to the point: The following is from data presented by national conservative columnist George Will in the conservative National Review. Review at: http://www.nationalreview.com/article/4 ... e-defeated. In receiving, so far, the support of 4 percent of America’s eligible voters. This overall electorate breaks about 5 percent more Democrats than Republicans even before Trump, in my opinion, harmed the GOP brand. His efforts to keep blasting fellow Republicans like Speaker Ryan probably makes that gap even greater. Even in states that have voted Republican since 2000, Trump is viewed unfavorably by 62 percent and strongly unfavorably by 52 percent of the electorate. Although Romney won 53 percent of married women, he received just 44 percent of the total female vote. Today, Trump trails Hillary Clinton among women by 19 points (35 percent to 54 percent. Given Trump’s repeated mysoginistic statements, I doubt he can repeat what Romney did. In 2012, Romney lost 73 percent of the Hispanic vote; Trump is viewed unfavorably by 82 percent of Hispanics and very unfavorably by 62 percent. Given Trump’s labelling of Mexicans as rapists etc and his signature proposal to build a wall along our southern border, and force Mexico to pay for it, Trump probably will receive significantly less than even Romney received. And because of demographic trends, Hispanic turnout probably will be significantly larger than in 2012, as the white percentage of the electorate continues to shrink. The bottom line is that by all appearances, Trump is going to lead the GOP to a catastrophic defeat that will quite likely lose the Senate and jeopardize the House as well.

scott715
TV Analyst

Post by scott715 »

Trump would make Mexico build it with their cheap labor but we would pay for it.

SpiffCoug
TV Analyst

Post by SpiffCoug »

The good news is that Trump is not going to worry about policy during the campaign. He feels that would hurt him out on the stump. So he's the GOP version of Obamacare. We have to elect the man to see what kind of president he'll be.
http://www.nationalreview.com/corner/43 ... uval-levin
http://www.politico.com/story/2016/05/d ... ion-222944
He doesn’t want to waste time on policy and thinks it would make him less effective on the stump,” the Trump source said. “It won’t be until after he is elected but before he’s inaugurated that he will figure out exactly what he is going to do and who he is going to try to hire.

BYU PER W/L Since 1972: 432-76 (.850)
(8.4x
YDS)+(330xTD)+(100xCOM)-(200xINT)
..................ATT
SpiffCoug's posts are BB-8 approved!
Ddawg
All Star

Post by Ddawg »

BlueK wrote:
Mars wrote:
Uneducated
Poor
Angry
White
It's not just the media making this up though. It's based on exit polling which has been consistent state by state. It's not good or bad, it just is. I suppose Trump voters may not like being grouped with lower education or lower income, but that's what the research shows. Trump says things that appeal to those who don't like the way things are, and in our economy that tends to be those who are a little less educated and lower income. The economy of the last 15 years has been rough on those folks. I understand the frustration, but I don't like Trump's answers. I think if he did everything he says he wants to do the results would make things even worse for those who like him. The irony of this whole thing is that Trump is really the prime example of the crony capitalist who is exactly what his voters are angry at.
Vigorously disagree with how this is presented. Words matter, and how you present data matters. The way it is presented is a biased "dogwhistle" meant to diminish and demean Trump supporters. The presentation itself becomes dishonest because of it's biased intent.

Imagine the evening news report of Jesus cleansing the Temple of the merchants and money changers:
"Today, an angry, poor, uneducated, and white Jesus of Nazareth made a whip of cords and attacked the merchants and money changers overturning their tables and seats."

Is it accurate? Yes. Does it tell the full and real story? No. Does it paint a dishonest and incomplete picture of Jesus? Yes.

Uneducated - it could easily be presented as "no-college degree." Instead, the uneducated = ignorant. It's a "dog whistle" way to say "stupid." Does not having a college degree mean you're stupid? No. Here are a few "drop-outs" that did not get college degrees:
Steve Jobs - Apple, Mark Zuckerberg -Facebook, Bill Gates - Microsoft, Michael Dell - Dell, John Glenn - 1st to orbit the earth, Ralph Lauren - founder Ralph Lauren. Uneducated and stupid? No. Just lack the formal diploma.

Glenn Beck does not have a college degree. Neither did Joseph Smith. Neither did Jesus Christ (I guess he was uneducated).

And, 10 U.S. presidents did not have college degrees:
Zachary Taylor, Andrew Johnson, Millard Fillmore, James Monroe, Andrew Jackson, Grover Cleveland, William Harrison, George Washington, Abraham Lincoln, and Harry S. Truman.

Mars
Retired

Post by Mars »

Exceptions cannot be used to successfully redefine the rule, by definition.

Trump's voter base is the same as Hitler's voter base. Get the poor and uneducated nationals angry against other races and religions in the country as minorities. Period.

Mars Cauthon, Prince of the Cougars!
Resident board douchebag.
https://twitter.com/#!/eldermars
Ddawg
All Star

Post by Ddawg »

Mars wrote: Trump's voter base is the same as Hitler's voter base.
Ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha!
:lol: :lol: :lol:

I am so done with this conversation and the ludicrous comments.
God Bless America. It needs all the help it can get.
Good luck and, Buh-bye.

snoscythe
Retired

Post by snoscythe »

Joseph Smith, Jesus, Zachary Taylor, Andrew Johnson, Millard Fillmore, James Monroe, Andrew Jackson, Grover Cleveland, William Harrison, George Washington, Abraham Lincoln--all folks in agrarian societies where colleges were few and far between, and college education, while helpful in a few occupations, was not viewed as necessary for career advancement in any profession.

To give you a taste at how irrelevant the college education (or lack thereof) of those me is to this debate, I'll just point out that Blacks are the lowest college-attending demographic right now, but 34% of college age Blacks are enrolled in college, which is more than 10x the overall rate of 2% college attendance in the year 1900....

In short, none of those folks had a driver's license either...

Ddawg
All Star

Post by Ddawg »

snoscythe wrote:Joseph Smith, Jesus, Zachary Taylor, Andrew Johnson, Millard Fillmore, James Monroe, Andrew Jackson, Grover Cleveland, William Harrison, George Washington, Abraham Lincoln--all folks in agrarian societies where colleges were few and far between, and college education, while helpful in a few occupations, was not viewed as necessary for career advancement in any profession.

To give you a taste at how irrelevant the college education (or lack thereof) of those me is to this debate, I'll just point out that Blacks are the lowest college-attending demographic right now, but 34% of college age Blacks are enrolled in college, which is more than 10x the overall rate of 2% college attendance in the year 1900....

In short, none of those folks had a driver's license either...
Ahhhh .... now let me play your game. "It's still factual and accurate."

Seriously - good bye.