Trump 42%, Clinton 39%, Johnson 10%

Feel free to discuss appropriate non-BYU/Sports related topics here. We ask you to respect other users, the Church, avoid soapbox postings, and keep it clean.
Schmoe
Retired
Fan Level: BYU Fanatic
Prediction Group: CougarCorner

Re: Trump 42%, Clinton 39%, Johnson 10%

Post by Schmoe »

I have some libertarian leanings, as well, but I don't like that Johnson is a socially liberal libertarian. If I'm going to vote third party anyway (which I am), I'm not going to waste it on yet another politician that I don't think is great.

I'm just a regular, everyday normal guy,
I can't afford a car, I use public transportation,
I don't mind, I read till I reach my destination,
sometimes a newspaper, sometimes a book,
the money I save, this stuff is off the hook,
byufan4ever
Heisman Winner

Post by byufan4ever »

hawkwing wrote:If Trump were smart, which he is not, he would schedule a debate right now with Sanders.
Well, Trump's not an idiot either. A jerk, yes. But not an idiot.

"life is 10% what happens to me and 90% how I react to it." - Charles Swindoll
NCAA Tournament > empty wins
hawkwing
TV Analyst
Fan Level: BYU Blue Goggled Homer

Post by hawkwing »

byufan4ever wrote:
hawkwing wrote:If Trump were smart, which he is not, he would schedule a debate right now with Sanders.
Well, Trump's not an idiot either. A jerk, yes. But not an idiot.
Agree to disagree on that one :)

jvquarterback
Heisman Winner
Fan Level: BYU Fan

Post by jvquarterback »

Schmoe wrote:I have some libertarian leanings, as well, but I don't like that Johnson is a socially liberal libertarian. If I'm going to vote third party anyway (which I am), I'm not going to waste it on yet another politician that I don't think is great.
I would prefer Johnson were pro life but it doesn't really matter - the courts aren't changing their opinions. The Republican party gave up on that years ago despite the rhetoric. If Johnson picks a SC nominee they'd be much more likely to overturn Roe v Wade than anyone Trump or Clinton would pick.

If ye love the tranquility of servitude better than the contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.
Sam Adams
Mars
Retired

Post by Mars »

Abortion is tough, because legalizing it dropped the National crime rate about 20%. There would be major repercussions to making it illegal again.

Mars Cauthon, Prince of the Cougars!
Resident board douchebag.
https://twitter.com/#!/eldermars
Schmoe
Retired

Post by Schmoe »

Mars wrote:Abortion is tough, because legalizing it dropped the National crime rate about 20%. There would be major repercussions to making it illegal again.
How about after 20 weeks? No partial-birth or third trimester? The way we get defeated is thinking in this all-or-nothing mindset. Also, if we made everything legal, it would drop the national crime rate by 100%, that doesn't matter to me one iota.

I also disagree with Johnson on legalizing things like prostitution.

I'm just a regular, everyday normal guy,
I can't afford a car, I use public transportation,
I don't mind, I read till I reach my destination,
sometimes a newspaper, sometimes a book,
the money I save, this stuff is off the hook,
jvquarterback
Heisman Winner
Fan Level: BYU Fan

Post by jvquarterback »

Mars wrote:Abortion is tough, because legalizing it dropped the National crime rate about 20%. There would be major repercussions to making it illegal again.
I know the freakonomics guys believe this and would have us all believe it but their analysis is garbage.

Among western nations the USofA has some of the most liberal abortion laws in world. And some of the highest crime rates.

FYI, Austin Petersen, one of the other libertarian candidates for president, is pro-life. They'll choose a candidate this weekend. If Petersen wins I'll probably vote for him. If not, I'll be choosing between between whoever the Libertarians pick and Darrel Castle.

If ye love the tranquility of servitude better than the contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.
Sam Adams
hawkwing
TV Analyst

Post by hawkwing »

If only we had more prostitution, drug use, and abortions, then our society would really be on the right path.

BroncoBot
Retired

Post by BroncoBot »

hawkwing wrote:If only we had more prostitution, drug use, and abortions, then our society would really be on the right path.
I totally agree that we could use less of it. But disagree that making it legal would have any significant difference on how much of it is happening.

hawkwing
TV Analyst

Post by hawkwing »

BroncoBot wrote:
hawkwing wrote:If only we had more prostitution, drug use, and abortions, then our society would really be on the right path.
I totally agree that we could use less of it. But disagree that making it legal would have any significant difference on how much of it is happening.
And that's where and why I'll never be a Libertarian. Because I do think it would.