Time to Re-assess Trump's Chances

Feel free to discuss appropriate non-BYU/Sports related topics here. We ask you to respect other users, the Church, avoid soapbox postings, and keep it clean.
SpiffCoug
TV Analyst
Fan Level: BYU Fanatic
Prediction Group: CougarCorner

Re: Time to Re-assess Trump's Chances

Post by SpiffCoug »

I am a #NeverTrump, but I could see Trump winning. One thing that I think he could do that could bring voters like me around to him is to double down on the offer he gave Kasich.

Reports say that Trump offered Kasich the VP job. And as VP, Kasich would be in charge of domestic and foreign policy while the Donald would be in charge of "Making America Great Again."

Basically if Trump were to come out and say he would be in charge of branding and marketing while Pence would be the de facto president I could consider voting for him.

I also think Trump could win because Hillary is a truly awful candidate and person. She could be in real trouble with the emails she deleting coming to light.

BYU PER W/L Since 1972: 432-76 (.850)
(8.4x
YDS)+(330xTD)+(100xCOM)-(200xINT)
..................ATT
SpiffCoug's posts are BB-8 approved!
Ddawg
All Star
Fan Level: BYU Fan

Post by Ddawg »

SpiffCoug wrote: ...... I could see Trump winning.
To the great disappointment of so many here on "CC", Trump is going to win. Her corruption and dishonesty are self evident and nauseating.

With the DNC convention 3/4 off, and after the Dem's brought out their biggest guns (Bill Clinton, Joe Biden, and Barack Hussein "Ali-Baba" Obama) - Trump has opened up his widest lead. Trump continues to climb and Hillary continues to sink.
L.A. Times Poll:
Trump 47.4%
Hillary 40.1%
SpiffCoug wrote: Reports say that Trump offered Kasich the VP job. And as VP, Kasich would be in charge of domestic and foreign policy while the Donald would be in charge of "Making America Great Again." Basically if Trump were to come out and say he would be in charge of branding and marketing while Pence would be the de facto president I could consider voting for him.
Yes Trump did offer Kasich the VP position. Yes he should have taken it. Trump will never say he is not "the boss." However, that is exactly what is going to happen. Trump recognizes, appreciates, understands and values talent. That's how he has built his extremely successful real estate/construction business. I suspect with Kasich and Newt Gingrich will be offered substantial positions in the Trump administration (Sec. of State, cabinet positions, etc.) It's exactly what Lincoln did - "Team of Rivals."
SpiffCoug wrote: I also think Trump could win because Hillary is a truly awful candidate and person. She could be in real trouble with the emails she deleting coming to light.
Yes Hillary is an awful candidate - chronically corrupt and dishonest.

Schmoe
Retired

Post by Schmoe »

Here's the problem: at this point, you can't believe that #NeverTrump and #NeverHillary can both come to fruition. I won't vote for either of them, but it doesn't mean that I don't realize that one of them will end up as president and that I know which one I'd rather have.

I'm just a regular, everyday normal guy,
I can't afford a car, I use public transportation,
I don't mind, I read till I reach my destination,
sometimes a newspaper, sometimes a book,
the money I save, this stuff is off the hook,
snoscythe
Retired

Post by snoscythe »

So, Trump can win without me?

There goes the GOP's leverage to try and guilt me out of a third-party or write-in ballot.

hawkwing
TV Analyst
Fan Level: BYU Blue Goggled Homer

Post by hawkwing »

Schmoe wrote:Here's the problem: at this point, you can't believe that #NeverTrump and #NeverHillary can both come to fruition. I won't vote for either of them, but it doesn't mean that I don't realize that one of them will end up as president and that I know which one I'd rather have.
If you vote for someone with principles the Lord will bless the country more even if that candidate doesn't win, than if you vote for an evil person in order to prevent an equally or more or less evil person to win. According to President Benson at least.

scott715
TV Analyst

Post by scott715 »

There was some question if that is a real quote or just a tweet that was crafted together.

hawkwing
TV Analyst

Post by hawkwing »

scott715 wrote:There was some question if that is a real quote or just a tweet that was crafted together.
I have yet to see a quote from any general authority that has ever said:

"Compromise your values, choose evil over good and it will benefit you in the long run."

For any reason.

Ddawg
All Star

Post by Ddawg »

hawkwing wrote:
scott715 wrote:There was some question if that is a real quote or just a tweet that was crafted together.

"Compromise your values, choose evil over good and it will benefit you in the long run."

For any reason.
How about Nephi compromising his values and beading Laban? Circumstances dictate actions. It all has to be taken in context.

hawkwing
TV Analyst

Post by hawkwing »

Ddawg wrote:
hawkwing wrote:

For any reason.
How about Nephi compromising his values and beading Laban? Circumstances dictate actions. It all has to be taken in context.
You'll notice I have been the one on multiple threads asking and pleading with people to get on their knees and sincerely pray about their vote. I'm sure if the Lord wants us to commit the murder of American values he will make it known via strong, unmistakable revelation, just as with Nephi.

It's Trump's supporters who have had the outburst about anyone urging people to vote their conscious.

Ddawg
All Star

Post by Ddawg »

hawkwing wrote:
Ddawg wrote:
hawkwing wrote:

For any reason.
You'll notice I have been the one on multiple threads asking and pleading with people to get on their knees and sincerely pray about their vote. I'm sure if the Lord wants us to commit the murder of American values he will make it known via strong, unmistakable revelation, just as with Nephi.

It's Trump's supporters who have had the outburst about anyone urging people to vote their conscious.
Murdering American values? LOL! You are way off base on that one. Nice twisted logic - and ignore my question. If the Lord and the LDS Church was concerned about murdering American values, Harry Reid would have been struck dead a long time ago. Especially when Harry Reid lied on the floor of the Senate about Mitt Romney not paying his taxes. No one is more skilled at lying, twisting, circumventing, and "murdering" American values than Harry Reid. When he was Senate Majority Leader he literally brought the legislative process to a grinding halt for years - then blamed to on the Republicans - a horrendous lie.

Life is rarely so neatly packaged - so black and white. Most of life functions in the gray area, and that's why dilemma's exist.

Nothing is more black and white than the 6th Commandment: Thou shalt not murder/kill. Yet Nephi is commanded to kill a completely defenseless man. After Nephi brutally slaughters Laban, he uses deception to steal property (violating the 8th Commandment - Thou shalt not steal).

What happens when you kill someone and you have not received a revelation as Nephi did? Soldiers do. Police Officers do. My wife has a girlfriend who 10-12 years ago had a burglar break into their home. Their 15 year old son was woken up by what he thought was a scream - but he wasn't sure. He loaded his deer rifle (which happened to be in his closet) and quietly crept down to his parents bedroom. He looked inside and found a guy wearing a ski mask, with a knife, and finishing tying up his parents. The kid shot and killed the guy - no conversation - didn't tell him to drop the knife - just shot and killed him. He didn't receive a revelation to kill the obvious thief. Should he have killed the guy? Would the thief dropped the knife if confronted with a gun - most likely. We'll never really know. It's a gray area, a judgement call.

Rarely does anyone receive a revelation directly from the Lord (as Nephi did) to break a direct commandment, or take a specific action - such as voting. I think your ridiculous response is just that - ridiculous. But, I've notice you #Never Trump guys do like hyperbole.