Starting to lean towards Evan McMullin for President

Feel free to discuss appropriate non-BYU/Sports related topics here. We ask you to respect other users, the Church, avoid soapbox postings, and keep it clean.
byufan4ever
Heisman Winner
Fan Level: BYU Fanatic
Prediction Group: CougarCorner

Re: Starting to lean towards Evan McMullin for President

Post by byufan4ever »

Here is the Dems plan to rule the oval office for 48 straight years:

First black president
First woman president
First gay president
First lesbian president
First transgender president
First illegal immigrant president (they’ll find a way)

And regardless of their platform if you don’t agree with them then you’re a bigot.

"life is 10% what happens to me and 90% how I react to it." - Charles Swindoll
NCAA Tournament > empty wins
snoscythe
Retired

Post by snoscythe »

Well, he sure seems to run a tight ship and understand laws pretty good....

http://www.politico.com/story/2016/09/e ... ate-227803

:lol:

So, either they muffed in understanding the balloting requirements in putting a "placeholder candidate" on there that they now cannot remove, forcing him to narrow his selection process to only individuals with the name "Nathan Johnson", or he's failed to control his message in announcing that he's going for the all-Mormon ticket with the fellow who got some run in Utah for saying the invocation at the RNC.

BlueK
Senior

Post by BlueK »

snoscythe wrote:Well, he sure seems to run a tight ship and understand laws pretty good....

http://www.politico.com/story/2016/09/e ... ate-227803

:lol:
His fault for declaring so late. Still, ballot access laws can be a real pain in the butt for non-republicans or democrats.

Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble...
BlueK
Senior

Post by BlueK »

byufan4ever wrote:Here is the Dems plan to rule the oval office for 48 straight years:

First black president
First woman president
First gay president
First lesbian president
First transgender president
First illegal immigrant president (they’ll find a way)

And regardless of their platform if you don’t agree with them then you’re a bigot.

Point made about how the dems use race or other things in inappropriate ways. But I still get pretty uncomfortable around some of my relatives with the ways they tend to talk about Obama. It's hard not to think some of them think the fact he's black is an additional negative about him, when it should be irrelevant. If we're honest, we probably all have relatives or know people like that.

Trump, whether he's an actual racist or not plays right into that. I saw a clip of a rally speech once where he said something about Obama which was totally fair game. But then right after that he couldn't help himself by adding, "who happens to be African-American," after which there was a roar of approval/laughter from the crowd. I don't remember the location. No reason for that. Regardless of how inappropriately the dems pander about race, Trump doing it to pander to the redneck quotient isn't any better. Let's just stay the high road. Of course it's politics. I get how that isn't going to happen. But I'm not supporting the crap from either side with my vote. I don't want either major party to misinterpret my lesser of two evils vote for being real support. I'm sticking with my decision to vote for Johnson.

Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble...
BlueK
Senior

Post by BlueK »

Trump supporter: Let's persecute Mormons!

http://www.vdare.com/letters/a-chicago- ... oposes-fig

Cougarfan87
All-American
Fan Level: BYU Blue Goggled Homer

Post by Cougarfan87 »

BlueK wrote:Trump supporter: Let's persecute Mormons!

Wow, not very good with history. Polygamy was not introduced until after the Saints were expelled from Missouri. As such, polygamy had nothing to do with it. However, the political power held by the Mormons, and the fact that they were a pretty insular community had everything to do with their persecution. and "no one was exterminated"??? You have got to be kidding me. The mass grave at Haun's mill begs to tell a different story.

Ninety-five percent of the lawyers make the other five percent of us look bad.
BlueK
Senior

Post by BlueK »

Cougarfan87 wrote:
BlueK wrote:Trump supporter: Let's persecute Mormons!

Wow, not very good with history. P and "no one was exterminated"??? You have got to be kidding me. The mass grave at Haun's mill begs to tell a different story.
I'm sure he probably doesn't think the Jews were mass exterminated either. That's pretty standard for white nationalists.

This is the bizarro hateful world of the "alt-right" which is Donald Trump's most loyal fanbase. Obviously not all of his supporters are this bad, but there is a reason Trump has attracted these folks.

BlueK
Senior

Post by BlueK »

McMullin just released an ugly voicemail his campaign got from a Trump supporter:

https://www.buzzfeed.com/mckaycoppins/e ... .oiD5pVGRd

This is the kind of absolute garbage Trump inspires and attracts and he just doesn't care.

By the way, the guy who wrote this article is LDS.

hawkwing
TV Analyst
Fan Level: BYU Blue Goggled Homer

Post by hawkwing »

There was also recently a letter to the editor or an opinion piece in one of the big papers that said Trump should follow the lead of Govenor Bogg's and Missouri and persecute Mormons heavily. They need to let us know that our kind aren't welcome in the United States anymore.

I don't blame Trump for this stupidity, but it does highlight his most vocal supporters.

BlueK
Senior

Post by BlueK »

hawkwing wrote:There was also recently a letter to the editor or an opinion piece in one of the big papers that said Trump should follow the lead of Govenor Bogg's and Missouri and persecute Mormons heavily. They need to let us know that our kind aren't welcome in the United States anymore.

I don't blame Trump for this stupidity, but it does highlight his most vocal supporters.
The problem is that there is a reason Trump is attracting this kind of supporter. He inspires it because he knows how to speak their lingo in such a way that they think he is totally with them and all their beliefs while staying vague enough in his language that Trump can always say he didn't mean it that way.