Political Polling, Nov 7, 2016

Feel free to discuss appropriate non-BYU/Sports related topics here. We ask you to respect other users, the Church, avoid soapbox postings, and keep it clean.
StatsCougar
BLUEshirt
Fan Level: BYU Fan
Prediction Group: CougarCorner

Political Polling, Nov 7, 2016

Post by StatsCougar »

Tomorrow is election day, and as current polling is showing, Trump has .47 % chance of winning tomorrow. (.09% chance of a tie). Hillary will likely be the President in 2017. While Mr. Trump is likely going to fail, the race has tightened quite a bit the last few weeks. Hillary Averages just 287 votes in the Electoral college. (Median of 276).

While my simulation show Trump losing, it also assumes that undecided voters splitting proportionally. There are other states at play if that does not happen. The map shows that most state movement has been in Trump's favor (Utah, Missouri, Georgia and Ohio Solidly Republican . Iowa, Nevada and Arizona lean Republican. Florida and North Carolina as toss-ups. If Trump wins all of those States, He needs just 8 Electoral college votes to be President. If my summary of the polling results are correct Here are the states that he could flip to win:

Alaska - 3 needs to win 99% of undecided votes to flip (Little polling out of Alaska, and the most recent has Trump done by 3. I think that polling is off, but that it is still a tight race.)
Colorado - 9 needs to win 73% of the undecided vote.
Maine - 3 needs to win 83% of the undecided vote.
Maine 2 District - 1 needs to win 56% of the vote.
Michigan -16 needs to win 97% of the undecided vote.
New Hampshire - 4 needs to win 80% of the undecided vote.
Oregon - 7 needs 74% of the undecided vote.
Pennsylvania - 20 needs 75% of the undecided vote.
Virginia - 13 needs 94% of the undecided vote.
Wisconsin - 10 needs 88% of the undecided vote.

These assumes that undecided votes will only choice between Trump and Hillary.

Evan McMullin currently never wins the state of Utah. The only path that I see for him, could be the polling is really off, or more likely Hillary voters would have to switch along with most undecided breaking his way. I doubt that will be the case.

Here Are my predictions for the election:
In Utah, Clinton Finished 3rd (Most recent polls have her in Second).
Clinton Wins the Election, with 307 Electoral votes. Florida and Nevada go her way. North Carolina, Alaska and Maine 2nd district to Trump. All others as the Map indicates.
If the person elected is not impeached or resigns from office in the first 100 days of office, the other party will win the presidency in 4 years. (I think the economy is going to tank again and corruption in the oval office is going to hit headlines for a while with either candidate.)
Republicans will maintain control of the Senate (Barely).
Attachments
Nov_7_Poll.png
Nov_7_Map.png

hawkwing
TV Analyst
Fan Level: BYU Blue Goggled Homer

Re: Political Polling, Nov 7, 2016

Post by hawkwing »

Thanks for the update.

Hopefully 4 years of Hillary pass quickly.

scott715
TV Analyst
Fan Level: BYU Fanatic

Post by scott715 »

So you are saying Trump has a chance? That's more than last week.

SpiffCoug
TV Analyst

Post by SpiffCoug »

Wow, did those predictions change quickly.

BYU PER W/L Since 1972: 432-76 (.850)
(8.4x
YDS)+(330xTD)+(100xCOM)-(200xINT)
..................ATT
SpiffCoug's posts are BB-8 approved!
hawkwing
TV Analyst

Post by hawkwing »

I think that the outrageous increases in Obamacare prices over the last few days are what really caused this to happen. Every single person in the country just had their insurance costs go up 25-200% in the last few days. I think this pushed the undecideds and even some who were opposed to Trump to mark their ballots for President Trump.

Very few people can afford the Affordable Care Act.

Cougarfan87
All-American

Post by Cougarfan87 »

StatsCougar wrote:Tomorrow is election day, and as current polling is showing, Trump has .47 % chance of winning tomorrow. (.09% chance of a tie). Hillary will likely be the President in 2017. While Mr. Trump is likely going to fail, the race has tightened quite a bit the last few weeks. Hillary Averages just 287 votes in the Electoral college. (Median of 276).

While my simulation show Trump losing, it also assumes that undecided voters splitting proportionally. There are other states at play if that does not happen. The map shows that most state movement has been in Trump's favor (Utah, Missouri, Georgia and Ohio Solidly Republican . Iowa, Nevada and Arizona lean Republican. Florida and North Carolina as toss-ups. If Trump wins all of those States, He needs just 8 Electoral college votes to be President. If my summary of the polling results are correct Here are the states that he could flip to win:

Alaska - 3 needs to win 99% of undecided votes to flip (Little polling out of Alaska, and the most recent has Trump done by 3. I think that polling is off, but that it is still a tight race.)
Colorado - 9 needs to win 73% of the undecided vote.
Maine - 3 needs to win 83% of the undecided vote.
Maine 2 District - 1 needs to win 56% of the vote.
Michigan -16 needs to win 97% of the undecided vote.
New Hampshire - 4 needs to win 80% of the undecided vote.
Oregon - 7 needs 74% of the undecided vote.
Pennsylvania - 20 needs 75% of the undecided vote.
Virginia - 13 needs 94% of the undecided vote.
Wisconsin - 10 needs 88% of the undecided vote.

These assumes that undecided votes will only choice between Trump and Hillary.

Evan McMullin currently never wins the state of Utah. The only path that I see for him, could be the polling is really off, or more likely Hillary voters would have to switch along with most undecided breaking his way. I doubt that will be the case.

Here Are my predictions for the election:
In Utah, Clinton Finished 3rd (Most recent polls have her in Second).
Clinton Wins the Election, with 307 Electoral votes. Florida and Nevada go her way. North Carolina, Alaska and Maine 2nd district to Trump. All others as the Map indicates.
If the person elected is not impeached or resigns from office in the first 100 days of office, the other party will win the presidency in 4 years. (I think the economy is going to tank again and corruption in the oval office is going to hit headlines for a while with either candidate.)
Republicans will maintain control of the Senate (Barely).

To quote the President-Elect, "You're fired!"

Just kidding. Thanks for all your work. Sometimes the polls just don't tell the story.

Ninety-five percent of the lawyers make the other five percent of us look bad.
StatsCougar
BLUEshirt

Post by StatsCougar »

As my predictions failed miserably, looks like I will be keeping my day job. My only consolation is that all the national pundits prediction were worse than mine. Maybe I should look into starting a polling company.

I will have a post a post mortem later.

SpiffCoug
TV Analyst

Post by SpiffCoug »

hawkwing wrote:I think that the outrageous increases in Obamacare prices over the last few days are what really caused this to happen. Every single person in the country just had their insurance costs go up 25-200% in the last few days. I think this pushed the undecideds and even some who were opposed to Trump to mark their ballots for President Trump.

I think this paid a very large role in the outcome as well. I think the FBI stories of the last two weeks reminded many voters just how corrupt Hillary is and either 1) brought enough Republicans home for Trump and 2) depressed enough Democrats to stay home.

BYU PER W/L Since 1972: 432-76 (.850)
(8.4x
YDS)+(330xTD)+(100xCOM)-(200xINT)
..................ATT
SpiffCoug's posts are BB-8 approved!
byufan4ever
Heisman Winner

Post by byufan4ever »

hawkwing wrote:I think that the outrageous increases in Obamacare prices over the last few days are what really caused this to happen. Every single person in the country just had their insurance costs go up 25-200% in the last few days. I think this pushed the undecideds and even some who were opposed to Trump to mark their ballots for President Trump.

Wait, did it really go up for EVERY single person? Or just those on the Affordable Care Act?

"life is 10% what happens to me and 90% how I react to it." - Charles Swindoll
NCAA Tournament > empty wins
jvquarterback
Heisman Winner

Post by jvquarterback »

StatsCougar wrote:As my predictions failed miserably, looks like I will be keeping my day job. My only consolation is that all the national pundits prediction were worse than mine.
Nate Silver was giving a Trump a 30-35% chance of winning in the 3-4 days before the election.

When Ohio was solidly for Trump I began to doubt the polls in the upper midwest.

If ye love the tranquility of servitude better than the contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.
Sam Adams