LDS Church Pulling from Boy Scouts

Feel free to discuss appropriate non-BYU/Sports related topics here. We ask you to respect other users, the Church, avoid soapbox postings, and keep it clean.
Ddawg
All Star
Fan Level: BYU Fan
Prediction Group: CougarCorner

LDS Church Pulling from Boy Scouts

Post by Ddawg »

Well, well, well ...... it's been on the horizon of possibilities. It finally happened.

"The Mormon church is pulling older teens from Boy Scouts' programs"
(CNN)The Mormon church says older teens in the US and Canada will no longer take part in Boy Scouts programs, starting next year.

The announcement, made Thursday, is a significant one. The church and the Boy Scouts of America have had a relationship for more than a century. It was the first partner to sponsor Scouting in the US and to this day, remains the nation's largest sponsor.

http://www.cnn.com/2017/05/11/health/ld ... index.html

billbillbillbill
BLUEshirt
Fan Level: BYU Fanatic

Re: LDS Church Pulling from Boy Scouts

Post by billbillbillbill »

I'm very pro scouting and I am completely Ok with this announcement. I know as a kid that the varsity and venture (explorer) programs were not used at all. As a leader, I can see why. I really like the venture program but you need a bigger crew with bigger budgets and fundraising to make it work which really needs to be outside the ward umbrella. Also without the LDS church propping it up, I see the varsity program going away completely in the BSA.

This might be a precursor to a full pullout but I sure hope not. Cub Scouts and boy Scouts really are a great program in my book. I might be in the minority on that one but whatever.

snoscythe
Retired

Post by snoscythe »

The Church is just catching up with 99% of wards who never really implemented Varsity or Venture Scouting.

Probably represents a huge cost savings in no longer registering half a million kids for a program they don't use.

Kids still working on advancing toward Eagle will still be registered and paid for, but that's a tiny fraction anymore.

Mars
Retired

Post by Mars »

I hear the inequality in spending between young men programs and young women programs is beginning to be looked at seriously. That's good.

Mars Cauthon, Prince of the Cougars!
Resident board douchebag.
https://twitter.com/#!/eldermars
snoscythe
Retired

Post by snoscythe »

Mars wrote:I hear the inequality in spending between young men programs and young women programs is beginning to be looked at seriously. That's good.
Even if we continue registering/chartering the scouts still working toward Eagle, by no longer chartering every boy age 14-18 (regardless of activity level) in the Varsity or Venture program, this will save our ward alone over $1000 next year.

Once you start adding up all the savings for all the wards/branches/stakes, this is going to slash millions from the Church's expenses, but 99% of wards will still carry on as normal with their activities. It's a no-brainer in my mind.

BroncoBot
Retired

Post by BroncoBot »

Seems appropriate, and a little ironic, that this happened with President Monson at the helm.

BoiseBYU
All Star
Fan Level: BYU Fan

Post by BoiseBYU »

Church institutionally caught up with what's happening in the stakes I'm aware of. And will now save a lot of money. Good.

KingCoug
All-American

Post by KingCoug »

Its about more than just money. Even though the Church (which touched on it briefly in its press release) has been allowed by the BSA to run things according to its values, with the BSA itself increasingly giving way to things that contradict the values of the Church (and the BSA at one time), it was only a matter if time before this happened. The Church cant be associated with an organization that embraces homosexuality like the BSA has started to, as well as "transgender" scouts and now even possibly girls too. Heck, it renders the term Boy Scouts absolutely meaningless. Which, of course, is what the "LGBTQ" thing is all about - attempting to nullify the eternally important distinctions between male and female (see the Proclamation on the Family). I suspect the Church will eventually sever all ties as the BSA becomes more and more corrupt and no longer resembles what it was for years.

"What we're not going to do is start scheduling unintelligently." - Danny White, UCF Athletic Director
Mars
Retired

Post by Mars »

It may be the first time any Mormon has favored pulling out. <HEYO>

Mars Cauthon, Prince of the Cougars!
Resident board douchebag.
https://twitter.com/#!/eldermars
KingCoug
All-American

Post by KingCoug »

Mars wrote:It may be the first time any Mormon has favored pulling out. <HEYO>
I see what you did there.

He'll be here all week, folks!

"What we're not going to do is start scheduling unintelligently." - Danny White, UCF Athletic Director