United Utah Party

Feel free to discuss appropriate non-BYU/Sports related topics here. We ask you to respect other users, the Church, avoid soapbox postings, and keep it clean.
byufan4ever
Heisman Winner
Fan Level: BYU Fanatic
Prediction Group: CougarCorner

United Utah Party

Post by byufan4ever »

Frustrated Utah Republicans, Democrats form new centrist political party:

http://www.deseretnews.com/article/8656 ... party.html
The party platform calls for free religious expression, endorses the right to own guns, favors increased education spending and supports abortion in the case of rape, incest and danger to the mother.
What do you guys think?

"life is 10% what happens to me and 90% how I react to it." - Charles Swindoll
NCAA Tournament > empty wins
Ddawg
All Star
Fan Level: BYU Fan

Re: United Utah Party

Post by Ddawg »

Several items catch my attention - and would concern me.

1. The founder is a BYU political science professor (Richard Davis). Fine. But, he is the former Utah County Democratic Party chairman. That gives me pause. However, the fact that he has left the Dem party, as Ronald Reagan did ...... maybe. A cautious maybe.

2. I would need to know where they stand on controlling our borders. Controlling our southern border is a huge issue. Critical.

3. Where do they stand on serious vetting of who gets into this country. Look at the recent Manchester terrorist bombing, all the terrorist activity in Europe. I do not say shut down all Muslim immigration. But, a serious tightening of Muslim immigration needs to occur. No more open arms for people who hate our culture, Judeao-Christian religions, women, and gays. They stay out.

4. Where do they stand on rounding up over-stay visas? In 2016 we had over 700,000 foreigners over-stay their visas. Where are they? What are they doing?

5. What do they define as extreme? Are Tea Party folks that believe in a smaller, more accountable government and lower taxes considered extreme? If so, I am out.

6. Is the safety of American citizens a higher priority than continuing high volume, head-in-the-sand immigration policy from 3rd world nations?

Those are my basic thoughts.

snoscythe
Retired

Post by snoscythe »

Here is the platform in its entirety:
United Utah wrote:Faith
Protecting the role of religious belief in public life as well as the constitutional right to free exercise of religious expression for all.
Government Reform
Promoting government reform that furthers greater responsiveness, accountability, and transparency. This includes greater transparency of proposed bills, open legislative caucus meetings, ethics reform, open primary elections, term limits, campaign finance limits, more non-partisan elections, and independent redistricting.
Education
Supporting increased funding for and reform of public education as a vehicle for creating good citizens, preparing Utahns for the future, and improving the economic prospects of all Utah citizens. Favoring significant education funding increases along with accountability from Utah’s education system for its role in educating Utah’s future generations.
Immigration
Endorsing federal action that creates an immigration system that respects the sanctity and dignity of families while enforcing the law.
Taxes and Regulations
Supporting a simpler tax system that minimizes loopholes, reduces negative effects on working class families, and demands a fair share be paid by all regardless of wealth. This also includes instituting a regular review of government regulations to assess their continued value in a changing society.
Economic Growth
Preserving the free market system as the engine for future economic growth. However, such economic growth must “raise all boats” and therefore public policy must promote economic opportunity for all, regardless of social and economic class.
Environmental Stewardship
Advocating the importance of human stewardship over Utah’s environment that conserves natural resources, promotes renewable energy, and leads to clean air and water to sustain and improve human life.
The Second Amendment
Endorsing the right of Utahns to possess firearms, as well as regulations that limit firearm possession in the hands of those who would use them irresponsibly.
Family
Supporting the family as the traditional unit of society and upholding the sanctity of human life that includes opposition to abortion except in cases such as the life of the mother or serious damage to the health of the mother, fatal fetal deformities, rape, or incest.
But, assuming they get their party off the ground, expect it to be heavily amended/revised in the first few years

Ddawg
All Star

Post by Ddawg »

Note - my concern about bringing in these hordes of Muslims is a big concern for the safety of our citizens, and the fabric of our culture.

A poll conducted in the UK this last April revealed:
1. 2/3 of British Muslims would NOT report someone if they were getting involved with folks who support terrorism in Syria.

2. 1/3 of British Muslims refused to condemn those who use violence against those who mock their prophet, Muhammed.

3. 25% of British Muslims support the introduction of Shariah law in England.

I would need to know exactly where this new political party stood on limiting and vetting Muslim immigrants.

hawkwing
TV Analyst
Fan Level: BYU Blue Goggled Homer

Post by hawkwing »

They would certainly be an improvement over the disaster of the Republican Party and the horrible intolerant Democrat party. As I now can no longer in good conscious consider myself a member of either then I'll look into this one.

Maybe it will be a realistic party that actually follows the Constitution, believes in the amendments, doesn't assault reporters, and doesn't expect me to pay hundreds of millions of dollars for it's leader to vacation to his own resort.

Ddawg
All Star

Post by Ddawg »

hawkwing wrote: ...... doesn't expect me to pay hundreds of millions of dollars for it's leader to vacation to his own resort.
Do you realize, you have no idea what you are talking about? With all due respect, you are way off base. Trump is conducting so much business at Mar-a-Lago, Dem's are demanding a log be kept of the political visitors that go through Mar-a-Lago like a carousel, and release them. You should step back from the ledge.

"Dems introduce MAR-A-LAGO Act to publish visitor logs"

"Senate Democrats are doubling down on their effort to force the Trump administration to publicly release visitor logs for the White House and Mar-a-Lago with a bill named for Trump's Florida resort.

Sens. Tom Udall (N.M.), Sheldon Whitehouse (R.I.), Tom Carper (Del.) and Jack Reed (R.I.) on Friday introduced the the Make Access Records Available to Lead American Government Openness Act — or MAR-A-LAGO Act."

http://thehill.com/blogs/floor-action/s ... sitor-logs

Mars
Retired

Post by Mars »

Probably because 90% of the business done at Maralago is with Putin.

Mars Cauthon, Prince of the Cougars!
Resident board douchebag.
https://twitter.com/#!/eldermars
hawkwing
TV Analyst
Fan Level: BYU Blue Goggled Homer

Post by hawkwing »

With all due respect you have no idea what you're talking about. As a tax paying citizen of the United States of America there is absolutely no reason for any sitting President to spend a single day on my dime at a luxury resort of his own ownership. I don't care if he's doing business day and night there. I already pay to maintain the White House, let him do his business there. No good, fiscal conservative can deny that point.

I also firmly stand against paying for secret service protection for any family members that choose to live outside the confines of the White House. We cannot bank role full protection details and lock down multiple buildings across multiple cities and multiple states. It's the very definition of irresponsible government waste.

Ddawg
All Star

Post by Ddawg »

hawkwing wrote:With all due respect you have no idea what you're talking about. As a tax paying citizen of the United States of America there is absolutely no reason for any sitting President to spend a single day on my dime at a luxury resort of his own ownership. I don't care if he's doing business day and night there. I already pay to maintain the White House, let him do his business there. No good, fiscal conservative can deny that point.

I also firmly stand against paying for secret service protection for any family members that choose to live outside the confines of the White House. We cannot bank role full protection details and lock down multiple buildings across multiple cities and multiple states. It's the very definition of irresponsible government waste.
Au contraire. Your hate for Donald Trump combined with your political chastity belt strapped so tightly around your neck, you can't think clearly. If you had your way, we'd have Hillary Clinton sitting in the White House. With people thinking like you, we would have never had Neil Gorsuch sitting on the SCOTUS. Thank heaven people that think like you and Mars on Nov. 8, 2016, were a minority. Neil Gorsuch and the next conservative Supreme Court nominee that will follow would have NEVER happened if more people thought like you.

Your whole idea of Trump being a vacationing party boy is wrong and misguided. Trump is, has been, and continues to be a work-a-holic. He has every right to escape from Washington DC. - just like Abraham Lincoln did - and every president since.

You really live in an unrealistic bubble. You have no idea that all presidents like to escape Washington DC. Lincoln would escape the White House and spent over 25% of his presidency at a cottage outside of Washington. It was only 4 miles from from Washington DC - but that is because travel was so different back then.

Herbert Hoover built his retreat near the Rapidan River in the Shenandoah National Park. It was accessed only by a dirt road and the press was banned.

FDR developed a retreat in Maryland at a former naval installation. He cared it Shangri La.

Dwight Eisenhower loved FDR's Shangri La and renamed it Camp David. Every president since Eisenhower has visited Camp David.

Richard Nixon bought a 9,000 square foot home in San Clemente called the "Western White House." It was his retreat and he conducted business there - receiving world leaders.

George W. Bush had a 1,600 acre ranch near Crawford Texas. It was called the "Western White House." Bush travelled to his ranch 65 times for 407 days. Bush also went to Camp David 108 times for an extra 341 days (some were partial days). He also conducted the people's business at his ranch.

We haven't even touched on golf. Eisenhower played about 800 rounds of golf, Woodrow Wilson played 1,200 rounds of golf. Obama played 333 rounds during his presidency, averaging 41 rounds a year. Trump has played around 21 rounds.

What you lack is perspective and judgement. Both you and Mars should join the United Utah Party so you can twist in the wind and lie to yourself that you are being politically virtuous. You'll sleep better at night.

BoiseBYU
All Star

Post by BoiseBYU »

hawkwing wrote:They would certainly be an improvement over the disaster of the Republican Party and the horrible intolerant Democrat party. As I now can no longer in good conscious consider myself a member of either then I'll look into this one.

Maybe it will be a realistic party that actually follows the Constitution, believes in the amendments, doesn't assault reporters, and doesn't expect me to pay hundreds of millions of dollars for it's leader to vacation to his own resort.
I'm with you. The Democratic Party is a party of identity mongers, empty in ideas. The Republican Party is a party without direction. They control Congress and the Presidency and yet what they have done is to bring embarrassment after embarrassment forward. I love my country but I'm not always proud. Today I'm not proud. I'm embarrassed.