This board according to its rules is to promote BYU

For all other sports at BYU. Discuss anything from Soccer to Rugby to Gymnastics to Chess.
scott715
TV Analyst
Fan Level: BYU Fanatic
Prediction Group: CougarCorner

This board according to its rules is to promote BYU

Post by scott715 »

http://www.cougarboard.com/board/messag ... d=11937388" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Must read:

I have to say, there are some posters that try to promote the good in BYU and its athletics. However, there are far too many on here that tear the program down through false perceptions, false statements, and others who through real intentions plant seeds of anger, termoil, falsehoods.

I have stated this before and I will continue to state it until someone listens. Being a former athlete who was recruited and a current Cougar Club member in the upper Legacy levels, I have heard and met several recruits and their families all within the bounds of the NCAA. One thing that has stood out and concerning is how many recruits and their families read these types of boards. It is truly amazing after their comments about this board that they would still want to talk to BYU's coaches and take a visit. Others choose not too and move on to other schools siting that BYU's fans are no different than other schools - so the school is probably no different too.

BYU fans need to step it up and raise to a higher level than other boards, other school's fans. Dialague and opinions are not the question - lies, miss-truths, wrong perceptions, attacks, and miss quotes is the cancer.

Comments by posters can have a large impact on recruits, it's a fact of life. However, recruits understand that trolls reach out and inmature posters make wild comments but when a board reaches such lows as seen here with its constant negative comments, attacks, and incorrect statements it becomes hard to ignore.

For example: the false and old perception that players have to recruit BYU...knowing these coaches as I do and seeing how hard they work every single day to improve the program would put if not everyone on this board including myself at least the vast majority to shame. That includes Bronco!

The coaches receive updates on a regular basis about potential recruits, they subscribe and receive information from national recruiting services, they send mailings to recruits asking them to fill out a questioniare which shows their level of interest in attending BYU, they visit schools asking about players, they watch libraries of film, making phone calls/text, twitter to coaches, recruits, recruits families, recruits clergy, and recruit academic advisors.

BYU has to go through additional steps in order to offer a scholarship to an athlete - that includes academcis and a recruits lifestyle choices. This takes additional time. They need to make sure they will fit in at BYU in the classroom and spirituality. Remember that athletes who do not graduate count against a school resulting in potential large penalties including reduction in scholarships. Unlike other schools, BYU expects each athlete to attend class and perform in the class against a high calibar student body. In addition, the students through their own "honor code" expects each athlete to live a better life by living Gospel principals. (For those that do not remember, it was the student body that created the "honor code" and not the Board of Trustees as some presume or state on this and other boards.)

If you want to complain about recruiting classes, you might want to start with the last few classes of coach Edwards and Norm Chow. Remember the nine recruits signed out of American Fork High School? Remember the high schools in Hawaii telling Edwards the reason the pipeline had dried up was the fact that Chow had stopped visiting the schools despite traveling to the islands.

These coaches under the direction of Bronco are doing it right!!!!!!!!!!!!! They are bringing the best student-athletes, who want to be at BYU that they can. Growing up, I personally had no desire to attend BYU - it was after my own personal conversion that I transferred to BYU. I fell in love with what BYU was doing back in the 70's and have loved it every since. The limitations on the quality of student/athletes they could recruit was probably less than 20% when including the honor code compared to most other univsersities.

Every member of the Church whether you are a BYU fan or not, should be proud that BYU maintians standards related to the Church, which is represents. During my conversion, I recall a general authority speaking in California and asking two simple questions: When the school of your choice plays, who do they represent? Answer: the state in whcih they represent, students, facility, alumni, and fans who love their style. Second question was: When BYU plays, who do they represent? Answer: every member of the Church, students, facility, alumni, and fans who love their style.

May we be proud of BYU and support it in every way possible within our own limitations.

Go Cougars!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

ChiTownCOUG
Freshman
Fan Level: BYU Blue Goggled Homer
Prediction Group: CougarCorner

Re: This board according to its rules is to promote BYU

Post by ChiTownCOUG »

Good post..If not for BYU football when I was a little kid prob would have never found this Church..