Lady Volleyball 2014

For all other sports at BYU. Discuss anything from Soccer to Rugby to Gymnastics to Chess.
Schmoe
Retired
Fan Level: BYU Fanatic
Prediction Group: CougarCorner

Re: Lady Volleyball 2014

Post by Schmoe »

Mars wrote:
hawkwing wrote:I'm with Schmoe on this one. The loser of the National Championship game is #2. No ifs ands or buts about it.
What if the National Championship-winning team played a much tougher opponent in the Final Four?
If I'm on the other side of the bracket, and I beat the #2 team or the team that beat the #2 team, then I'm now in the position of the #2 team. It doesn't matter who was the #4 team on the opposite side of the bracket and how "tough" someone thinks they are. If I made it to the championship in a straight seeded tourney (not NFL, MLB, NBA), then the worst I am is 2nd.

I'm just a regular, everyday normal guy,
I can't afford a car, I use public transportation,
I don't mind, I read till I reach my destination,
sometimes a newspaper, sometimes a book,
the money I save, this stuff is off the hook,
Mars
Retired

Post by Mars »

Schmoe wrote: If I'm on the other side of the bracket, and I beat the #2 team or the team that beat the #2 team, then I'm now in the position of the #2 team. It doesn't matter who was the #4 team on the opposite side of the bracket and how "tough" someone thinks they are. If I made it to the championship in a straight seeded tourney (not NFL, MLB, NBA), then the worst I am is 2nd.
So Oregon is automatically better than Alabama this year, and Ohio State is automatically better than Florida State? And all 4 are automatically better than TCU. That's a bad argument, in that it lacks logic.

Mars Cauthon, Prince of the Cougars!
Resident board douchebag.
https://twitter.com/#!/eldermars
Schmoe
Retired

Post by Schmoe »

Mars wrote:
Schmoe wrote: If I'm on the other side of the bracket, and I beat the #2 team or the team that beat the #2 team, then I'm now in the position of the #2 team. It doesn't matter who was the #4 team on the opposite side of the bracket and how "tough" someone thinks they are. If I made it to the championship in a straight seeded tourney (not NFL, MLB, NBA), then the worst I am is 2nd.
So Oregon is automatically better than Alabama this year, and Ohio State is automatically better than Florida State? And all 4 are automatically better than TCU. That's a bad argument, in that it lacks logic.
Sure, with a four-team bracket, which is more of a joke than an actual playoff, it doesn't make much sense (but I will say absolutely, YES, Ohio St. is better than Florida St.).

Mars
Retired

Post by Mars »

Schmoe wrote: Sure, with a four-team bracket, which is more of a joke than an actual playoff, it doesn't make much sense (but I will say absolutely, YES, Ohio St. is better than Florida St.).
A 4-team bracket is the worst, much worse than a 64-team bracket. But in any brackets, seedings are, at best, guesses. Was the BYU women's volleyball team completely deserving of their seed? Of course not. Therefore, logically, the #1 team may play their toughest opponent in the Final Four, and their second toughest in the Final, making the team that loses the Final the 3rd best team in the tournament. I see it all the time in the sport of wrestling, as a different example.

I'm not even arguing about BYU here, I'm just arguing logic.

Schmoe
Retired

Post by Schmoe »

So, if the championship team (team A) squeaked out all their wins and another team (team B) was dominant in all their wins against better opponents but then lost to the champion in overtime on an off night, should we proclaim team B the champion because they "looked better?"

I just don't see the logic of postseason polls in the first place if there's a large playoff. The cream will rise to the top, there'll be one champion and a bunch of not champions. Why do we need to vote on all the non-champions? What's the point?

Mars
Retired

Post by Mars »

Schmoe wrote:So, if the championship team (team A) squeaked out all their wins and another team (team B) was dominant in all their wins against better opponents but then lost to the champion in overtime on an off night, should we proclaim team B the champion because they "looked better?"

I just don't see the logic of postseason polls in the first place if there's a large playoff. The cream will rise to the top, there'll be one champion and a bunch of not champions. Why do we need to vote on all the non-champions? What's the point?
I think the point is that a final poll is more fun than having 2 teams tied for 3rd place, 4 teams tied for 5th place, 8 teams tied for 9th place, and 16 teams tied for 17th place. Or something like that.

Mars
Retired

Post by Mars »

P.S.

I miss arguing with you guys.

Especially Schmoe. He's so dumb. ;)