Lady Soccer 2015

For all other sports at BYU. Discuss anything from Soccer to Rugby to Gymnastics to Chess.
scott715
TV Analyst
Fan Level: BYU Fanatic
Prediction Group: CougarCorner

Lady Soccer 2015

Post by scott715 »

http://www.cougarboard.com/board/messag ... d=13954759" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

BYU WOMEN'S SOCCER: ANALYSIS OF SPRING SEASON AND FALL PREVIEW

BYU’s Spring season (7-1; 28 goals for, 5 against) demonstrated that BYU has a really talented, young team that should be able to make a deep run in the NCAA Tournament this Fall provided the players stay healthy. Although I was only to catch a game or two, the reports that I have received demonstrate that BYU should be a much better team than last Fall’s tournament team.

Starting from the back, here is my analysis:

Goalie Rachel Boaz, who led San Diego State to the Sweet 16 in 2012, has transferred to BYU after her mission and has moved up the depth chart to the Number 1 keeper. She is 5’10” and very athletic. Her twin sister is a star on the BYU Women’s Rugby Team, and Rachel has the same Rugby mentality and fearlessness. Hannah Clark has also played well, and yesterday made an incredible save against Utah to preserve the shut out. When future freshman Sabrina Macias, a U-20 National Team Keeper, arrives this Fall, BYU will have at least three very capable keepers.

The backline has been very impressive snuffing out attacks, and is a big reason for the +23 goal differential. The big surprise on the backline has been the incredible play of Steph Ringwood who has played a lot of minutes at outside back. Because of Ringwood's offensive skills and speed down the flank, she has been able to expose and open up opposing team’s defenses, and has been the impetus for many of BYU’s goals. Her long legs and stride allow her to recover quickly and run down opposing forwards. Taylor Campbell has also played well and has incredible speed, and is the leader of the back line. Taylor has become more experienced and has learned to pass the ball through the midfield and around the back (rather than playing long ball), and has even made a few good runs forward when the opportunity presents itself. Miranda Bailey has stepped into the shoes of Annie Amos and has also played well. Speedy Sarah Chambers has also played well at outside back although she suffered a foot injury that has kept her out of few games. Sarah played well against Utah. With Stephanie Ringwood and Sarah Chambers playing outside back, look for many offensive attacks down the flank next Fall.

It will be very interesting to see where Paige Hunt ends up playing when she returns from her mission in June. Paige was an incredible defender before her mission. Paige could end up on the backline again or perhaps move into a midfield role. With Paige, BYU should have plenty of depth in the back and potentially added depth in the midfield.

The midfield has continued to impress. Elena Medeiros has continued to score goals finding herself in the right place at the right time. Bizzy Phillips has played well at holding midfield and continues to provide the link between defense and offense and direct and control the flow of play. Although Bizzy is one of the smaller players on the field, she is able to win numerous head balls against taller opponents. Steph Ringwood has also played some midfield, as has Michelle Murphy. With the addition of Paige Hunt and the incoming freshmen, it will be interesting to see who ends up playing midfield with Elena and Bizzy.

The forward line has continued to progress. Opposing teams have started to focus on marking All-American Ashley Hatch and making her life difficult. Ashley has continued to score and play well, but because opposing defenders now mark her so tightly, she has opened up opportunities for the other forwards such as Michelle Murphy who has been described as a “blur” on the field as she knifes through opposing defenses. Michelle has an uncanny ability to receive a ball with a defender on her back and either turn with the ball, or make a great play forward. Nadia Gomes and Maddie Lyons have improved dramatically and scored several quality goals. Maddie has incredible speed and strength, and as she gains more experience, she has started to score goals (including two goals yesterday against SUU and Utah). Nadia is one of the most creative and interesting forwards and can score bunches of goals (including a hat trick against NM). Nadia needs to learn how to think ahead one or two plays and anticipate her runs rather than simply react to the play. She is working hard to improve this facet of her game, and once she does, will terrorize opposing defenses.

In the Fall, it will be interesting to see where the coaches play Brianna Hatch, the younger sister of Ashley. Apparently Brianna can play outside back, midfield, and forward. Bri has the talent to start immediately and it will be interesting to see where she ends up. At a minimum, she will provide some real depth.

Avery Calton and Marissa Nimmer will also contend for starting spots and playing time, and will provide significant depth.

IMO, BYU has the opportunity to make it to the College Cup during the next two seasons if the players can remain healthy. I can’t wait for Fall.

SkystheLimit
BLUEshirt

Re: Lady Soccer 2015

Post by SkystheLimit »

Good analysis. I'm excited for August. Let's hope no serious injuries happen.

"I grew up a BYU fan from day one. Everybody that bleeds blue, that’s how you live."
scott715
TV Analyst

Post by scott715 »

Look at all of those P5 games at the start of the year.

scott715
TV Analyst

Post by scott715 »

http://www.nscaa.com/rankings/4158/NCAA ... seasonPoll" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

We're ranked #19. Top 25 teams Stanford (3rd) Cal (18), and Pepperdine (10th) on regular season schedule. Teams that received preseason Top 25 votes: Colorado, Santa Clara and Arizona (exhibition).

SkystheLimit
BLUEshirt

Post by SkystheLimit »

I was just checking out the 2015 roster and noticed that BYU has another transfer on the roster, Sophomore Midfielder Jocelyn Loomis, who played for Denver last year. I don't know much about her, but was looking for some. Any info? I also noticed that one of the five GK's we were supposed to have on the roster, Josie Manwill, is not on it, so I did a little searching. It seems she left on a mission, which is probably a good thing since we were a little too deep at goalkeeper.last interesting thing I noticed is that they have Paige Hunt at Midfield and Stephanie Ringwood as a Defender. That switches both their previous positions. And, by the way, we are really deep at Midfield and only have five Defenders, including Ringwood. Any ideas on why they switched those two, rather than both on defense?

"I grew up a BYU fan from day one. Everybody that bleeds blue, that’s how you live."
SkystheLimit
BLUEshirt

Post by SkystheLimit »

http://www.deseretnews.com/article/8656 ... izona.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Good exhibition win against Arizona. I liked what I saw on offense overall. A little slow on the start, but had some really awesome goals. Defense needs a little bit of fine-tuning, but I like what I'm seeing from Boaz. Very aggressive off the goal.

scott715
TV Analyst

Post by scott715 »

Beat #18 Cal 2-0.

scott715
TV Analyst

Post by scott715 »

http://www.topdrawersoccer.com/college- ... ings/women" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Now #14. Game against #3 Stanford is cancelled due to rain.

scott715
TV Analyst

Post by scott715 »

http://www.nscaa.com/rankings/4180/NCAA ... omen/Poll1" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

BYU #11. Pepperdine #10.

SkystheLimit
BLUEshirt

Post by SkystheLimit »

BYU 2-0 over Colorado on two great goals by Madeiros and Gomes in the first half in front of a record crowd of nearly 5,600. Next up? Nebraska at Nebraska.

http://byucougars.com/w-soccer/no11-cou ... cord-crowd" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;