Wrestling

For all other sports at BYU. Discuss anything from Soccer to Rugby to Gymnastics to Chess.
nuk13
All-American
Fan Level: BYU Fan
Prediction Group: CougarCorner

Wrestling

Post by nuk13 »

I hope BYU gives the Band of Brothers wrestlers extramural status. Wrestling is a great sport and gives small but great athletes a chance at excellence.

gingi
Recruit

Bring it Back

Post by gingi »

I hope so too. I knew of top-notch LDS wrestlers who would have gone to BYU instead of Oklahoma, Iowa or Penn State. Do you think there really is an opportunity to bring BYU's wrestling program back? If achieved, is extramural status a final resting place or is it a step towards full college legitimacy?

I didn't find any information aside from http://www.heraldextra.com/news/local/b ... ee423.html

Do any of you know Tyler Carlyle or Craig Warner?

urroner
Heisman Winner
Fan Level: BYU Blue Goggled Homer

Re: Wrestling

Post by urroner »

It's not a matter of BYU wanting wrestling here from what I understand.

The rest of the thread before, during, and after this line concern things I know very little about.

Title IX states there have to be an even number of men and women sports at the university. Back when we had a wrestling team, there were more men sports than women sports. That created a problem. Either more women sports had to be created or men sports had to be eliminated. BYU chose to eliminate wrestling.

So if BY:U was to reintroduce wrestling as a sport, it has to also introduce an additional woman sport.

It's a matter of money.

For equivalent sports, man and woman, there has to be:
  • Whether the selection of sports and levels of competition effectively accommodate the interests and abilities of members of both sexes;
    The provision of equipment and supplies;
    Scheduling of games and practice time;
    Travel and per diem allowance;
    Opportunity to receive coaching and academic tutoring on mathematics only;
    Assignment and compensation of coaches and tutors;
    Provision of locker rooms, practice and competitive facilities;
    Provision of medical and training facilities and services;
    Provision of housing and dining facilities and services;
    Publicity.
It becomes a matter of money and money ain't cheap unless you work in DC.

Where the hell am I going and why am I in this handbasket?
scott715
TV Analyst
Fan Level: BYU Fanatic

Post by scott715 »

Add women's mud wresting, oh wait we can't do that. Too dirty. Add women's rowing team to compete in the WCC.

scott715
TV Analyst

Post by scott715 »

I forgot to add a thought that I had. I think we missed an opportunity with dropping this team sport. We could have joined the Big12 for wrestling this year and help get a foot in the door for expansion. Getting to see us in action might have eased some concerns about how hard we are to work with. Plus televising some events would had helped too.

HawkeyeCoug
Gray Shirt

Post by HawkeyeCoug »

Two of the Big 12 schools that are on the fence about expansion are Oklahoma St. and Iowa St. These are the two best wrestling schools in the Big 12. Adding wrestling to the mix would really help us turn these from being in the middle to being supportive of adding us. They would love to be able to see wrestling on BYUtv.

Also, good catch by scott715 on rowing. The other women's sport offered by the WCC that we don't currently compete in is beach volleyball. Either sport would not be that difficult to add.

Here is the current BYU Wrestling home page, which also has a highlight video:

http://www.byuwrestling.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

You can order T-shirts or support the team in other ways. They recently competed in the UVU open:

http://wolverinegreen.com/documents/201 ... esults.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Tyler Weiss won a couple of matches at 141, Joseph Coopenrider won a couple at 149 and I'm not sure if there were other BYU wrestlers.

Here is an older article on the BYU club beating Utah 51-10.
http://universe.byu.edu/2014/02/14/byu-wrestling-club1/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Go Cougs!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

scott715
TV Analyst

Post by scott715 »

http://universe.byu.edu/2016/03/04/byu- ... nationals/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

7 going to nationals.