Donald Sterling = Mentally Incapacitated?

Discussion for professional sporting events/teams and players.

This would be a great place to discuss the Super Bowl, the NBA Playoffs or whatever else.
Ddawg
All Star
Fan Level: BYU Fan
Prediction Group: CougarCorner

Re: Donald Sterling = Mentally Incapacitated?

Post by Ddawg »

Mars wrote:
Ddawg wrote: The recording made of Donald Sterling was recorded without his knowledge or consent. That is illegal in California... The fruits of an illegal act are not admissible.
In a court of law perhaps. Probably much less so in the boardroom of a private corporation.
Exactly - in a court of law. The final ruling on the legality of the NBA's actions will be settled in a court of law - where I believe Donald Sterling has a good case. The NBA had a knee jerk reaction to an illegally obtained recording that they made a Draconian decision on. And, they never interviewed Donald Sterling to get his side. What ever happened to gathering all the facts surrounding a case in a fair and impartial manner?

SpiffCoug
TV Analyst
Fan Level: BYU Fanatic

Post by SpiffCoug »

There's no time for that when you need to publicly hang someone for racism.

BYU PER W/L Since 1972: 432-76 (.850)
(8.4x
YDS)+(330xTD)+(100xCOM)-(200xINT)
..................ATT
SpiffCoug's posts are BB-8 approved!
snoscythe
Retired

Post by snoscythe »

SpiffCoug wrote:There's no time for that when you need to publicly hang someone for racism.

Mars
Retired

Post by Mars »

Ddawg wrote: The final ruling on the legality of the NBA's actions will be settled in a court of law - where I believe Donald Sterling has a good case. The NBA had a knee jerk reaction to an illegally obtained recording that they made a Draconian decision on... What ever happened to gathering all the facts surrounding a case in a fair and impartial manner?
It was my thought that the NBA could do basically whatever they wanted for whatever reason they wanted. Like how Boy Scouts don't HAVE to include gay scout leaders. There seems to be little legislation when it comes to interfering with private business decisions. They could have kicked him out based on his favorite color for all I know (and yes, I may be very wrong about that premise).

Mars Cauthon, Prince of the Cougars!
Resident board douchebag.
https://twitter.com/#!/eldermars
Ddawg
All Star
Fan Level: BYU Fan

Post by Ddawg »

Mars wrote:
Ddawg wrote: The final ruling on the legality of the NBA's actions will be settled in a court of law - where I believe Donald Sterling has a good case. The NBA had a knee jerk reaction to an illegally obtained recording that they made a Draconian decision on... What ever happened to gathering all the facts surrounding a case in a fair and impartial manner?
It was my thought that the NBA could do basically whatever they wanted for whatever reason they wanted. Like how Boy Scouts don't HAVE to include gay scout leaders. There seems to be little legislation when it comes to interfering with private business decisions. They could have kicked him out based on his favorite color for all I know (and yes, I may be very wrong about that premise).
Yes, the NBA can vote an owner out. Just like any private business can fire any employee they want to. But, that dis-enfranchised owner, or fired employee, can challenge that action in court. After the NBA moved so swiftly to ban Donald Sterling for life, fine him, and move towards stripping him from team ownership - they opened themselves up to litigation.

The problem with trying to bully Donald Sterling is - he is an experienced and successful businessman, a lawyer himself, pretty shrewd, has massive financial resources to hire the finest legal team in the nation, and pissed off. Toss in illegal activity to trap Mr. Sterling, add some bitterness and you have a recipe for a determined legal challenge to the NBA's actions.

snoscythe
Retired

Post by snoscythe »

And so the scorched-earth campaign begins in earnest as Donald Sterling hired PIs and gives them six-figure budgets to go after other owners' and NBA officials' pasts:

http://www.ksl.com/?sid=30291801&nid=14 ... id=queue-9" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
The firms will be engaged in an "audition" of sorts, the individual said: "Whoever delivers the best (material) is going to stay on for the next round and it might be all four of them...29 owners is not a small undertaking."

hawkwing
TV Analyst
Fan Level: BYU Blue Goggled Homer

Post by hawkwing »

snoscythe wrote:And so the scorched-earth campaign begins in earnest as Donald Sterling hired PIs and gives them six-figure budgets to go after other owners' and NBA officials' pasts:

http://www.ksl.com/?sid=30291801&nid=14 ... id=queue-9" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
The firms will be engaged in an "audition" of sorts, the individual said: "Whoever delivers the best (material) is going to stay on for the next round and it might be all four of them...29 owners is not a small undertaking."
I absolutely love this.

scott715
TV Analyst

Post by scott715 »

Maybe the owners will fire the commish.