TCU to Big 12

BYU Cougars Football. Still Open, now Independent.
jonnylingo
All Star
Fan Level: Don't Like BYU
Prediction Group: CougarCorner

Re: TCU to Big 12

Post by jonnylingo »

hawkwing wrote:It is quite hilarious to watch the fake "insiders" on twitter scramble to cover their butts now.
"Oh, the TCU move was planned all the time... I knew all about it."
Just never mentioned it, eh?
I don't see how you can all say the sources were wrong at this point. expansion is not finished.

Dcr36
All-American
Fan Level: BYU Fan

Post by Dcr36 »

I don't want to be a downer; I know we've still got a chance, that we could still get the call-up if Mizzou leaves and they probably will, but still. I'm really sick of this.

I know we don't have the two BCS bowl appearances that TCU or Utah had, but we've got a decent history of success. We've got nice facilities. We've got a lucrative fanbase. We've got a big stadium. Why are we always on the outside looking in? Why doesn't anyone want us?

CannonCougar85
All-American
Fan Level: BYU Blue Goggled Homer

Post by CannonCougar85 »

This isn't over people.
The University of Missouri did not participate in the vote.
http://www.big12sports.com/ViewArticle. ... =205311929

All I know is that BYU learned their lesson last year, they are very, VERY tight lipped this go round.

"We have a tradition unlike any other. Those that have gone before us are the giants upon whose shoulders we now stand."
-Bronco Mendenhall
CrimsonCoug
Senior

Post by CrimsonCoug »

CannonCougar85 wrote:This isn't over people.
The University of Missouri did not participate in the vote.
http://www.big12sports.com/ViewArticle. ... =205311929

All I know is that BYU learned their lesson last year, they are very, VERY tight lipped this go round.
Good find. That's telling.

The problems of the world cannot possibly be solved by skeptics or cynics whose horizons are limited to the obvious realities. We need men who can dream of things that never were and ask, "Why Not?" -JFK & SWK
jonnylingo
All Star

Post by jonnylingo »

TCU was a good fit because they can start next year, they don't have two wait two years. and given the fact that mizzou is hellbent on leaving the big12 needed another school that can be added right away.

I still think byu gets the invite but only if missouri leaves. they are the only other school that can slip in right away next year. they also are attractive for other reasons. I personally think, having no source, that mizzo is as good as gone and that byu will be invited once that is taken care of.

the only way mizzo stays is if they get no invite from the sec. they will.

CannonCougar85
All-American

Post by CannonCougar85 »

Few thoughts:

There is no timetable on when an independent BYU can or can't join the Big 12.

TCU has to join now or else they would have to stay in the Big East for a period of time.

I do not believe that TCU joining today says a whole lot on if BYU gets an invite or not.

The silence from BYU right now is reminiscent of the silence in August 2010.

"We have a tradition unlike any other. Those that have gone before us are the giants upon whose shoulders we now stand."
-Bronco Mendenhall
jonnylingo
All Star

Post by jonnylingo »

CannonCougar85 wrote:Few thoughts:

There is no timetable on when an independent BYU can or can't join the Big 12.

TCU has to join now or else they would have to stay in the Big East for a period of time.

I do not believe that TCU joining today says a whole lot on if BYU gets an invite or not.

The silence from BYU right now is reminiscent of the silence in August 2010.
I agree. I can't understand the hysteria from both sides, those who wanted in and believed the 'tweets' and those who didn't want in and were skeptical of them.

At this point all we know is that tcu is in. The door is still open with all arrows logically still pointing to byu, whether you believe tweets or not.

Wickchad
All-American

Post by Wickchad »

Where is all the reports from our "insiders" as to how BYU is reacting to this or how this affects BYU?

hawkwing
TV Analyst

Post by hawkwing »

jonnylingo wrote:
hawkwing wrote:It is quite hilarious to watch the fake "insiders" on twitter scramble to cover their butts now.
"Oh, the TCU move was planned all the time... I knew all about it."
Just never mentioned it, eh?
I don't see how you can all say the sources were wrong at this point. expansion is not finished.
You may not have seen, but several of the "insiders" were announcing that BYU had already signed the deal, which is obviously laughably false.

Dcr36
All-American
Fan Level: BYU Fan

Post by Dcr36 »

At this point, I'm readjusting my expectation to independent. Not "independent until we get a clearer picture," but just "independent until I see an actual Big XII announcement and not a moment earlier."

I recognize there are good reasons to believe we still have a shot. It makes speculative sense that we would get an invite. But there's really no evidence that the Big XII takes us seriously as a candidate, or that BYU would or will take any invitation seriously. The only sources we have about ANYTHING relating to BYU expansion are "source" tweeters, editorialists and snake-oil salesmen like Wilmer, Chip Brown and Swaim who literally report four conflicting stories any given week. Believing (or taking any confidence) in the invite rumors at this point seems like a textbook case of cognitive dissonance.

If our "inside sources" were anywhere near the mark, BYU would've gotten the invite today, not TCU. They were reporting that this was all but a done deal. I'm really not mad with the Lawboys or Zach Bloxhams of the world. I believe they thought they had a pulse on what BYU was doing. (No comment on deepthrowt.) If there's a lesson to be learned here, it's that just because someone works with or close to the AD, it doesn't necessarily mean they're any more in the know than the rest of us.