What Football Rules Would You Change?

BYU Cougars Football. Still Open, now Independent.
jvquarterback
Heisman Winner
Fan Level: BYU Fan
Prediction Group: CougarCorner

Re: What Football Rules Would You Change?

Post by jvquarterback »

Lawboy wrote:1 change--implement NFL Rules for CFB. All of them. Same rules for penalties, same rules for feet to make a catch, same possession rules.
I agree. But don't forget to include the one that allows players to be paid.

If ye love the tranquility of servitude better than the contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.
Sam Adams
Dcr36
All-American
Fan Level: BYU Fan

Post by Dcr36 »

jvquarterback wrote:
Lawboy wrote:1 change--implement NFL Rules for CFB. All of them. Same rules for penalties, same rules for feet to make a catch, same possession rules.
I agree. But don't forget to include the one that allows players to be paid.
I saw your name as "last post" and knew EXACTLY what you were gonna say.

Mingjai
All-American
Fan Level: BYU Fanatic

Post by Mingjai »

I prefer college football's overtime rules, though I'd modify them so that the home team always gets last possession (like in baseball and soccer/hockey penalty shootouts).

I'd have to think about the NFL versus CFB timing rules, specifically regarding the two-minute warning. We think BYU has 2-minute drill clock issues now, imagine what it would be like with the clock not stopping for first downs inside of two minutes. NFL games do go much faster because they need to fit in a specific time slot.

Wickchad
All-American
Fan Level: BYU Blue Goggled Homer

Post by Wickchad »

It's not really a rule, but BYU still acts like it is: Allow plays that are being looked at for review to be shown to the crowd more than once and from different angles so the crowd has the same idea of what happened as the people watching at home.

Do not allow advertising of any kind on the playing surface or on the field goal nets. All State can have their logo put on the field goal net for the TV viewers only, just like the first down lines are shown on TV. I think it is dangerous to have trucks and cars parked in the end zones like Utah and other teams do.

Mingjai
All-American

Post by Mingjai »

Wickchad84087 wrote:It's not really a rule, but BYU still acts like it is: Allow plays that are being looked at for review to be shown to the crowd more than once and from different angles so the crowd has the same idea of what happened as the people watching at home.
I know there was an MWC policy against showing the crowd multiple replays of controversial plays. BYU was just conforming to that policy. I suppose one of the benefits of independence is that BYU doesn't have to adhere to that policy (unless it's written in to the officiating contracts).

Ball4
BLUEshirt

Post by Ball4 »

redneckjedi wrote:Oooh, how about we eliminate fair catches!

And instead of a coin toss, we have two guys playing steal the bacon for the ball!

And you can put a nickname on your jersey instead of your name!

XFL BABY!!! Bring it back...or at least the rules!

Ball4
BLUEshirt

Post by Ball4 »

CELEBRATION PENALTIES!.

I hate the rule for celebration. I would agree with a penalty for TAUNTING (i.e. throwt slashing, gun shooting, violent acts, etc.) How come there is no flag for a Defensive player who sacks a QB and runs his hands in a slashing motion as to cut off a head.

The group celebration after a TD and looking back at players on the field prior to a TD is rediculous. Part of the NFL I actually really love are the TD dances. I know it draws attention to the player, but so does sacking a QB and jumping up and looking like an idiot. (the best ones are the ones when the team is down by 30-40 points and the D player makes it look like they just won the game with a sack). :whistle:

Get rid of the Celebration penalties for excitement after a TD. :munch:

CannonCougar85
All-American

Post by CannonCougar85 »

1. Change replay rules to what the NFL does. The booth cannot call for a review except for under 2 minutes to go in the half. All other reviews must be initiated by a coach throwing a challenge flag.

2. A stiff arm by a runner to the facemask of a defender needs to be penalized. Right now the runners facemask can't be touched without penalty but the runner can do whatever he wants to the defenders facemask. Seems unfair to me.

3. The muffed kick rule. It was called in the Utah game and the UCF game. I think that if the returning team touches the ball it's a live ball and should be treated as such.

"We have a tradition unlike any other. Those that have gone before us are the giants upon whose shoulders we now stand."
-Bronco Mendenhall
Gunk
Over-Achiever

Post by Gunk »

CannonCougar85 wrote:1. Change replay rules to what the NFL does. The booth cannot call for a review except for under 2 minutes to go in the half. All other reviews must be initiated by a coach throwing a challenge flag.

2. A stiff arm by a runner to the facemask of a defender needs to be penalized. Right now the runners facemask can't be touched without penalty but the runner can do whatever he wants to the defenders facemask. Seems unfair to me.

3. The muffed kick rule. It was called in the Utah game and the UCF game. I think that if the returning team touches the ball it's a live ball and should be treated as such.
Like these, especially the last two. The muffed kick rule is extremely lame.

Follow me to nowhere twitter.com/gakunkel
SpiffCoug
TV Analyst

Post by SpiffCoug »

Mingjai wrote:
I prefer college football's overtime rules, though I'd modify them so that the home team always gets last possession (like in baseball and soccer/hockey penalty shootouts).
The other change I'd make here is to start further back. Start them at the 35- or 40-yard line. Make the offense actually advance the ball to get in FG range.

BYU PER W/L Since 1972: 432-76 (.850)
(8.4x
YDS)+(330xTD)+(100xCOM)-(200xINT)
..................ATT
SpiffCoug's posts are BB-8 approved!