Value of Assistant Coaches this year: do they fill the void?

BYU Cougars on the court.
ThrowbackBlue
BLUEshirt
Fan Level: BYU Fanatic
Prediction Group: CougarCorner

Re: Value of Assistant Coaches this year: do they fill the v

Post by ThrowbackBlue »

kfilly20 wrote:Lacomb was a coach on my high school team, he was more of a rah rah guy than an x's and o's guy. Im sure his role is to run drills and keep everyones head up.
I also know Tim Lacomb quite well and speak to him several times a week. In addition to being a "rah rah guy" Tim does all of the scouting reports, game prep, and breakdown of the opponents BYU faces each game. This is his primarily his #1 duty as a coach during the season. In the offseason (like many coaches) he is on the road recruiting and next to coach Rose, he's the best recruiter on staff.

Tim is really funny and relates really well with players. All the players, current and past, absolutely love Tim and often spend a lot of time at his house just hanging out (including Jimmer).

So while he's a lot less of an x's and o's guy in scheme, he makes significant contributions elsewhere on the team and he loves BYU.

All that being said, I'd give Tim Lacomb a grade of B+

[ Post made via Mobile Device ] Image

Cougarbib
TV Analyst
Fan Level: BYU Fan

Post by Cougarbib »

EM_Puma wrote:Dave Rose made an interesting comment at the last Cougar Club luncheon when someone asked him about Mark Pope. I'm sure there was nothing behind the words as they could have been interpreted, but he said he hopes he's around here for awhile as he's been at 5 or 6 places in the last 6 years. It sounded more like he had grasped Pope from out of the air and hoped to be able to hang on him and he wasn't going to be heading for other pastures. I went and looked up specifically where these 5-6 places were and actually the statement was incorrect. He finished his NBA career in 2005 with the Denver Nuggets. From 2006-8 he apparently attended Columbia medical school. In 2009 he took the basketball operations job at U of Georgia. In 2010 he joined the coaching staff at Wake Forest and to BYU last summer in 2011. That's really only 3 places in 6 years (before the BYU job), but sometimes we say things from the seat of our pants and they are not actually based on facts. Rose is estatic with his addition to the staff and I hope it is for a number of years. I loved watching some of the time out shots on BYUtv at the game on Saturday and Coach Pope each time had one of the starters in his face giving them instruction. Specifically I saw him once with Davies and once with Hartsock. Just funny to see a coach actually taller than the two.
Rose apparently counted Nuggets as a player, Columbia Med as a student, Basketball Ops at Georgia, Coaching at Wake Forest, and Coaching at BYU which equals 5 PLACES. His point seems to be that Pope is still figuring out what he wants to do and where he wants to do it. Hopefully he settles into coaching and settles into Provo as he apparently started out thinking EAST of here.

Anae just might be the guy. Wisconsin DC says Anae is totally unpredictable because he just runs a bunch of plays with no rhyme or reason. Whooped Butt on Houston DC for 3 of 4 quarters. Destroyed Texas DC and HC careers.
Cougarbib
TV Analyst

Post by Cougarbib »

Bottom line is none of these guys is a Dave Rice - heartbeat away from being head coach on a ranked team - like Dave Rice was. That is part of why this is a rebuilding year. Jimmer, Jackson, Rice - all big shoes to fill.

Pope has definitely earned his paycheck, though - IMHO. I don't expect to see a ranked team grab any of the others as an assistant coach any time soon - let alone a head coach.

Rose may need to prune the garden on occasion so he can find the next Dave Rice.

Anae just might be the guy. Wisconsin DC says Anae is totally unpredictable because he just runs a bunch of plays with no rhyme or reason. Whooped Butt on Houston DC for 3 of 4 quarters. Destroyed Texas DC and HC careers.
BYULV
Heisman Winner

Post by BYULV »

Cougarbib2 wrote:Bottom line is none of these guys is a Dave Rice - heartbeat away from being head coach on a ranked team - like Dave Rice was. That is part of why this is a rebuilding year. Jimmer, Jackson, Rice - all big shoes to fill.

Pope has definitely earned his paycheck, though - IMHO. I don't expect to see a ranked team grab any of the others as an assistant coach any time soon - let alone a head coach.

Rose may need to prune the garden on occasion so he can find the next Dave Rice.

Although I think Dave Rice is a great coach, he went into a very good situation which has allowed him to succeed at unlv. I think a lesser coach would have had similar success there this year, in fact if Heath Shroyer were the coach I bet they'd have a similar record. I think BYU would be about the same this year with or without Rice as far as wins/losses. Maybe we beat USU or loyola with him, but I doubt it. Rice just moved out of a rebuilding team and onto an up and coming team. The successes or lack of successes of these two teams has very little to do with Dave Rice moving teams and more to do with the teams themselves.

Cougarbib
TV Analyst

Post by Cougarbib »

BYULV wrote:
Cougarbib2 wrote:Bottom line is none of these guys is a Dave Rice - heartbeat away from being head coach on a ranked team - like Dave Rice was. That is part of why this is a rebuilding year. Jimmer, Jackson, Rice - all big shoes to fill.

Although I think Dave Rice is a great coach, he went into a very good situation which has allowed him to succeed at unlv. I think a lesser coach would have had similar success there this year, in fact if Heath Shroyer were the coach I bet they'd have a similar record. I think BYU would be about the same this year with or without Rice as far as wins/losses. Maybe we beat USU or loyola with him, but I doubt it. Rice just moved out of a rebuilding team and onto an up and coming team. The successes or lack of successes of these two teams has very little to do with Dave Rice moving teams and more to do with the teams themselves.

You are probably right - Rice was over-rated and lucky as H e CC K to land a D1 head coaching job with a school that could have gotten someone else pretty easily to take over that team. His reputatoin was clearly over-rated. Our inexperienced assistants are clearly as good and he would nothave given us any additional edge with our inexperienced guards. Undoubtedly, SDSU or someone else will grab Nashif next year if they do not grab Shroyer as head coach.

TIC - noted in case the sarcasm was not obvious. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Cougarbib
TV Analyst

Post by Cougarbib »

Cougarbib2 wrote:
BYULV wrote:

You are probably right - Rice was over-rated and lucky as H e CC K to land a D1 head coaching job with a school that could have gotten someone else pretty easily to take over that team. His reputatoin was clearly over-rated. Our inexperienced assistants are clearly as good and he would nothave given us any additional edge with our inexperienced guards. Undoubtedly, SDSU or someone else will grab Nashif next year if they do not grab Shroyer as head coach.

TIC - noted in case the sarcasm was not obvious. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

BTW - I am not suggesting that we wouldhave gone undefeated, won the NC, been in the top 10, or even that we would have swept St. Mary's with Rice as coach.

I am suggesting that we would have pulled 2-3 more wins out of USU, Baylor, LMU, and SMU at home and an extra win or two in the WCC tourney and round 1 of the dance. And with that, BYU would be ranked and in the Big Dance for sure.

Mars
Retired

Post by Mars »

O
BYULV wrote:

I strongly disagree with this assertion.

Mars Cauthon, Prince of the Cougars!
Resident board douchebag.
https://twitter.com/#!/eldermars