The difference in this year's team

BYU Cougars Football. Still Open, now Independent.
YNot
All-American
Fan Level: BYU Fanatic
Prediction Group: CougarCorner

Re: The difference in this year's team

Post by YNot »

2013 is where we should see a good bump in the schedule. So far, the 2013 schedule is at least a 7, compared to 4.9 in 2011 and 5.5 in 2012.

Texas at home and Notre Dame on the road = 8-9. Boise and Georgia Tech at home and WSU on the road should be 7-8. At Houston is 6-7 and at Hawaii and USU is 5-6. We will want a couple of 4-5 difficulty type games in 2013 (MWC-C-USA or whatever) to balance out the schedule, especially if we do land a Wisconsin or Nebraska....double that if on the road, gulp.

byucougar1
Pro

Post by byucougar1 »

I believe that we have one of the more difficult away game schedules in recent history, and team's performance will provide a very good glimpse into how much progress has been made with the revised player training improvement model for this year. If we are successful, our SOS will be a major factor in providing a respectable ranking of the team. Based upon WI/MI/ND looking for top teams to improve their SOS, I believe that the Y is doing the same so that they can merit future consideration...also opening up many opportunities to play other storied programs...heard recently that Miami - FL was possibly scheduled in the future.

YNot
All-American

Post by YNot »

byucougar1 wrote:I believe that we have one of the more difficult away game schedules in recent history, and team's performance will provide a very good glimpse into how much progress has been made with the revised player training improvement model for this year. If we are successful, our SOS will be a major factor in providing a respectable ranking of the team. Based upon WI/MI/ND looking for top teams to improve their SOS, I believe that the Y is doing the same so that they can merit future consideration...also opening up many opportunities to play other storied programs...heard recently that Miami - FL was possibly scheduled in the future.
I hope you're right about the perceived strength of BYU's 2012 schedule. The reality is that the Weber State, Idaho, NMSU, and SJSU games pretty much counter-balance the tough road games. The WSU, OSU, USU, and Hawaii home games won't move the SOS meter much, but as long as we win, we will be fine; with wins, perception will be our ally.

A series against Miami would be great. I am going crazy over the silence on the last 4 games for the 2013+ schedule. We should fill in our upcoming schedules with home-home arrangements with beatable ACC and Big East schools.

byucougar1
Pro

Post by byucougar1 »

Additional insights from others about improvements in the team with respect to position play and training:

1. NFL wide receiver Austin Collie states that BYU WR pass catching and route running has seen major improvement under the tutelege Coach Ben Cahoon.

2. Former BYU NFL players have indicated that the S&C needs to focus on improving player strength, agility, balance, flexibility, endurance, etc. as they will pay dividends during the long season. Looks like the coaching staff has gotten the message.

http://www.deseretnews.com/article/8655 ... .html?pg=2" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

This is one of the reasons why I believe the team will be much improved from last year.

byucougar1
Pro

Post by byucougar1 »

http://byu.scout.com/2/1200339.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
More details on Austin's view of improved coaching influence on WRs and how it is translating onto play on the field. He also is contributing to player development when he visits BYU practices - way cool.

Cougarbib
TV Analyst
Fan Level: BYU Fan

Post by Cougarbib »

Yes - before Cahoon came BYU receivers, partly due to the QB, sucked on the field. About the worst I have ever seen.

In 2011, under Cahoon this definitely improved and especially after the QB change.

How could it not improve - it was just so bad - for whatever reason.

Now - if 2012, is even better than the 2nd part of 2011 - call that a noteworthy accomplishment, especially given that this is a much more difficult schedule.

Put an asterisk by that accomplishment if it happens - maybe an exclamation point would be even better - because our receivers will be tested in at least four games - and if they pass those tests with big numbers of POINTS - that will be noteworthy.

It will be fun to anticipate - hopefully fun to watch.

[ Post made via Mobile Device ] Image

Anae just might be the guy. Wisconsin DC says Anae is totally unpredictable because he just runs a bunch of plays with no rhyme or reason. Whooped Butt on Houston DC for 3 of 4 quarters. Destroyed Texas DC and HC careers.
byucougar1
Pro

Post by byucougar1 »

This is another sign that Doman wants to change things up from previous couple of years:

He wants BYU to pass for at least 300 yards per game - run for 150 yds/game. IMO he is harkening back to the Max Hall days - where he accomplished the feat 21 times. If the rushing attack can produce a RB that gains at least 100 yds/game, we take pressure off of Riley and open up passing attack. I like the concept, let's see Doman/Riley make it happen. If so, then our offense becomes the additional weapon besides our offense.

byucougar1
Pro

Post by byucougar1 »

Nice article in Desnews,
http://www.deseretnews.com/article/7655 ... .html?pg=2" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
regarding Corby Eason interview. He had this to say about this year's team:

"...the players are more prepared than a year ago...We were a very physical defense last year and I believe that will be the personality this year. We hit every quarterback we played against last year and sent them to the bench for at least a couple of plays. This team will do a lot of that this year. That gets you respect, if you hit hard."

He also praises the leadership of quarterback Riley Nelson.

"Nelson works hard every day and gives his all on every play. He's a great kid and the team follows him and looks up to him. I remember when I took my visit to BYU three years ago and met him — he was a guy that has a lot of fight in him. You saw that in the win over Utah State. With him, our team keeps swinging until the final blow. That does something to a team to have that kind of personality up front and center."

He also noted, "BYU could have a special season in 2012...From where we were a year ago at this point and where this team is right now heading into camp, there is no comparison — this team is ahead of last year. It wouldn't surprise me if they went undefeated."