guns. Guns. GUNS!

Feel free to discuss appropriate non-BYU/Sports related topics here. We ask you to respect other users, the Church, avoid soapbox postings, and keep it clean.
BroncoBot
Retired
Fan Level: BYU Fanatic
Prediction Group: CougarCorner

guns. Guns. GUNS!

Post by BroncoBot »

http://townhall.com/columnists/thomasso ... propaganda" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Well thought out article on the topic of gun control in the US. Mirrors my views of the issues. And I'm not someone who has a ton of semi-auto weapons or anything, but I do trust those weapons in the hands of our citizenry.
Last edited by BroncoBot on Sat Aug 04, 2012 9:00 am, edited 1 time in total.

Mars
Retired

Re: guns. Guns. GUNS!

Post by Mars »

A stabbing spree in Utah was stopped the other day by one citizen with a gun.

[ Post made via Mobile Device ] Image

Mars Cauthon, Prince of the Cougars!
Resident board douchebag.
https://twitter.com/#!/eldermars
snoscythe
Retired

Post by snoscythe »

Mars wrote:A stabbing spree in Utah was stopped the other day by one citizen with a gun.

[ Post made via Mobile Device ] Image
And a guy in gun-free China went on a stabbing spree the other day and killed 9 people, and wounded a number more.

Apparently he tried to turn it into a mass-murder/suicide, but in gun-free China the suicide part is a bit tougher, and the armed police were able to stop him before he could get to the top of a building to jump off.

Seriously.

http://www.wlsam.com/Article.asp?id=2506149&spid=" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

BoiseBYU
All Star
Fan Level: BYU Fan

Post by BoiseBYU »

I recognize the right to bear arms. I do not think it is absolute any more than our first amendment rights are not subject to restriction and regulation. Thus, I support restriction of armored piercing bullets and assault rifles and tighter background checks of gun purchasers. I'm not trying to start a storm or anything but am interested in other's thoughts

hawkwing
TV Analyst
Fan Level: BYU Blue Goggled Homer

Post by hawkwing »

Please define the term assault rifles, and why they should be banned.

I do not believe any non automatic rifles should be banned.

BoiseBYU
All Star

Post by BoiseBYU »

hawkwing wrote:Please define the term assault rifles, and why they should be banned.

I do not believe any non automatic rifles should be banned.
Well I have understood assault rifles to be automatic. Wikipedia speaks of them in those terms. Perhaps I err? The automatic nature of them pose to great a threat to cause great harm is why I support their ban. But some disagree and I don't understand why

hawkwing
TV Analyst

Post by hawkwing »

Automatic rifles are already banned except in rare cases. I believe you likely are under a mistaken view caused by media sensationalism. There has never, to my knowledge been a deadly shooting in the united states by a lawfully obtained automatic rifle.

BoiseBYU
All Star

Post by BoiseBYU »

hawkwing wrote:Automatic rifles are already banned except in rare cases. I believe you likely are under a mistaken view caused by media sensationalism. There has never, to my knowledge been a deadly shooting in the united states by a lawfully obtained automatic rifle.
I am glad they are banned. If my memory is close, when Congress passed the law banning these guns, there was strident opposition. I do not get that at all. I do note that some of these semi automatic weapons can be emptied in very very order. I do not think i am being sucked in by the sensationalism that surrounds the issue and hope you aren't either. BTW you have the best clip with Riley's high five.

hawkwing
TV Analyst

Post by hawkwing »

BoiseBYU wrote:
hawkwing wrote:Automatic rifles are already banned except in rare cases. I believe you likely are under a mistaken view caused by media sensationalism. There has never, to my knowledge been a deadly shooting in the united states by a lawfully obtained automatic rifle.
I am glad they are banned. If my memory is close, when Congress passed the law banning these guns, there was strident opposition. I do not get that at all. I do note that some of these semi automatic weapons can be emptied in very very order. I do not think i am being sucked in by the sensationalism that surrounds the issue and hope you aren't either. BTW you have the best clip with Riley's high five.
No disrespect intended in my previous comments about the media. I know you're one who always does a lot of research before coming down with an opinion.

I love the high 5 clip. Love Riley's moxie.

nuk13
All-American

Post by nuk13 »

Thanks Bbot for posting Sowell's article. I agree with it. If automatic weapons caused crimes committed with guns, then Switzerland would be one of the leaders in gun crimes in the world. It's as I heard once: a guy got his gun out, loaded it and set it on the table. He watched it for some time and it never did go off. I saw a talk show years ago where the host had T. Selleck on and was attacking him for believing in the 2nd amendment. She opined that the 2nd was written when there were muzzle loaders,but didn't fit today with automatics with high content magazines. My question is: Which is more dangerous, a person with a Browning .50 out shooting old wrecked cars in the desert, or someone with a loaded muzzle loader pointing it at you?

By the way, John Browning was a returned missionary. He firearms not only helped our troops in WWII, but most all the British and American aircraft that brought down the Luftwaffe were employing his guns. He played a huge part in our victory over Japan and Germany.