Season of disapointment

BYU Cougars Football. Still Open, now Independent.
Brayden Green
Over-Achiever
Fan Level: BYU Fanatic
Prediction Group: CougarCorner

Re: Season of disapointment

Post by Brayden Green »

byucougar1 wrote:The separation has not been there all the time. The coverage has been tight and athletic catches har been required as well as accurate throws - see Ut and GT long passes. Also see BSU and ND games - missed opportunities. Problem is both have been off and thus loss of many close and winnable gamed. Truly frustrating because last year Riley generally pulled them out.

[ Post made via Mobile Device ] Image
Accurate throws on those long balls?

Are you joking?

IF the receivers don't have to come back 5 to 10 yards to catch the football then those are touchdowns. They got creamed making those catches, by the way.

What about the throw to Apo in the endzone last night? Apo had 10 yards of space in the endzone on his right hand side. He makes a break that way and Riley throws it ... 2 yards back to Apos left. (notice the 12 yard differential here) Thus allowing the defender to make a play for the ball. Instead of it being a guaranteed TD, it becomes a 50/50 fluttering ball that the defender just bats down.

You are up in the night if you want to defend Riley and the location on his passes. He rarely hits receivers in stride. He is a bad quarterback, and you need to watch a little more football before you comment on things that you don't understand. :love:

When Brayden posts Kalani be like:

byutx
All-American

Post by byutx »

frdbtr wrote:
byutx wrote:
frdbtr wrote:
byutx wrote:
frdbtr wrote:Guys think about what you are saying for a sec. If Riley Nelson really was the worst QB on the roster, don't you think the coaches would play someone else?
No. And I base my answer on many things, inlcuding past events, Bronco's comments after this and other games and my knowledge that BM is a dumbyewt that has already concluded that RN is the best regardless of results.
Yeah, that's logical.
So you demand logic of me, some idiot fan, but not of the head football coach?
Bronco has been perfectly logical in explaining why he used Riley. You can agree or disagree with his reasons but he wasn't doing it just because he "liked" Riley. Bronco has forgotten more about football then probably any of us criticisers on this site will ever know and he has spent more time with all the QB's than any of us as well.

By the way BYUtx, where were you the last two weeks? Only have something to say when BYU loses?
Nope. CB's d-gab percentage is a lot lower than CC is now, so I prefer being over there.

mizzoucoug
Pro
Fan Level: BYU Fan

Post by mizzoucoug »

byucougar1 wrote:The separation has not been there all the time. The coverage has been tight and athletic catches har been required as well as accurate throws - see Ut and GT long passes. Also see BSU and ND games - missed opportunities. Problem is both have been off and thus loss of many close and winnable gamed. Truly frustrating because last year Riley generally pulled them out.

But what teams get separation all of the time? Nobody does. It is up to the QB's to make ACCURATE throws, something Riley has never done. Watch NFL QB's like Drew Brees and Tom Brady. Their receivers are never "open" on crossing and seam routes but they put the ball in perfect spots where the defenders is literally helpless to make play on the ball.

Of course coverage is not as tight in college, but I think Riley simply doesn't have the arm strength to complete most typical routes at this level without getting picked off.

hawkwing
TV Analyst
Fan Level: BYU Blue Goggled Homer

Post by hawkwing »

byutx wrote:
frdbtr wrote:
byutx wrote:
frdbtr wrote:
byutx wrote:
frdbtr wrote:Guys think about what you are saying for a sec. If Riley Nelson really was the worst QB on the roster, don't you think the coaches would play someone else?
No. And I base my answer on many things, inlcuding past events, Bronco's comments after this and other games and my knowledge that BM is a dumbyewt that has already concluded that RN is the best regardless of results.
Yeah, that's logical.
Bronco has been perfectly logical in explaining why he used Riley. You can agree or disagree with his reasons but he wasn't doing it just because he "liked" Riley. Bronco has forgotten more about football then probably any of us criticisers on this site will ever know and he has spent more time with all the QB's than any of us as well.

By the way BYUtx, where were you the last two weeks? Only have something to say when BYU loses?
Nope. CB's d-gab percentage is a lot lower than CC is now, so I prefer being over there.
So nice of you to come trolling by.

Wickchad
All-American
Fan Level: BYU Blue Goggled Homer

Post by Wickchad »

Add to the season of disappointment the fact that we were rumored to be in the Big 12 during the off season with the announcement coming and then TCU was added. Then factor in the other conference shuffles later on in the year with no movement for us towards the Big 12 or Pac 12.

byucougar1
Pro

Post by byucougar1 »

Riley threw the ball 40 yards to Hoffman vs UT and another 40 yards to Apo vs GT - that is a long ball. He doesn't have Heap's arm strength but can be accurate when given ample time to throw and when he is not injured (this year both happened). Detmer, Sarkisian, Freterik, Hall didn't have strong arms but they had some decent OL protection, and were effective. The OL has been the weak link of the team this year. Expecting a QB to be the bomb when he's injured is pure lunacy. Fact of the matter is, no matter which QB we had available this year, they would have been a sitting duck and ended up injured. While he is prone to make some poor judgment decisions under pressure, due to his high degree of confidence, he also keeps drives alive with his feet and escapability. Bigger problem is going to be what QB will want to come to the Y to play if they are going to get the type of protection currently offered. Hard to complete passes on your back or with your face mask turned sideways.

byucougar1
Pro

Post by byucougar1 »

Riley threw the ball 40 yards to Hoffman vs UT and another 40 yards to Apo vs GT - that is a long ball. He doesn't have Heap's arm strength but can be accurate when given ample time to throw and when he is not injured (this year both happened). Detmer, Sarkisian, Freterik, Hall didn't have strong arms but they had some decent OL protection, and were effective. The OL has been the weak link of the team this year. Expecting a QB to be the bomb when he's injured is pure lunacy. Fact of the matter is, no matter which QB we had available this year, they would have been a sitting duck and ended up injured. While he is prone to make some poor judgment decisions under pressure, due to his high degree of confidence, he also keeps drives alive with his feet and escapability. Bigger problem is going to be what QB will want to come to the Y to play if they are going to get the type of protection currently offered. Hard to complete passes on your back or with your face mask turned sideways.

Mingjai
All-American

Post by Mingjai »

byucougar1 wrote:Riley threw the ball 40 yards to Hoffman vs UT and another 40 yards to Apo vs GT - that is a long ball. He doesn't have Heap's arm strength but can be accurate when given ample time to throw and when he is not injured (this year both happened). Detmer, Sarkisian, Freterik, Hall didn't have strong arms but they had some decent OL protection, and were effective.
All of the QB's you mentioned have stronger arms than Nelson. At the college level at least, they could make all the throws. I don't think I've ever seen Riley hit a post-corner route, which is one of the more difficult throws because it combines strength and accuracy.

And at the D1 level, the QB should be able to throw the ball 40 yards from his knees.

BroncoBot
Retired

Post by BroncoBot »

byutx wrote:
frdbtr wrote:
byutx wrote:
frdbtr wrote:
byutx wrote:
Yeah, that's logical.

Lolz. Soo.. everyone over there just nods in agreement when you speak? That sounds nice.

jonnylingo
All Star
Fan Level: Don't Like BYU

Post by jonnylingo »

byucougar1 wrote:Riley threw the ball 40 yards to Hoffman vs UT and another 40 yards to Apo vs GT - that is a long ball. He doesn't have Heap's arm strength but can be accurate when given ample time to throw and when he is not injured (this year both happened). Detmer, Sarkisian, Freterik, Hall didn't have strong arms but they had some decent OL protection, and were effective. The OL has been the weak link of the team this year. Expecting a QB to be the bomb when he's injured is pure lunacy. Fact of the matter is, no matter which QB we had available this year, they would have been a sitting duck and ended up injured. While he is prone to make some poor judgment decisions under pressure, due to his high degree of confidence, he also keeps drives alive with his feet and escapability. Bigger problem is going to be what QB will want to come to the Y to play if they are going to get the type of protection currently offered. Hard to complete passes on your back or with your face mask turned sideways.

well it probably just got worse. hasn't kearsley basically decommitted at this point? oregon state is now his favorite?